deer
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moose scat or deer?

MikeK
Banned User
Deer poop is typically made of balls that are about the size and shape of raisinets.  Moose poop is pecan/walnut sized balls.

That's just deer poop that's all stuck together and not in nice little pellets.  Deer diarrhea...
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
MikeK wrote
  Deer diarrhea...
The way it's all stuck together maybe it's deer consti-poo-tion ? Needs more fiber ?

Hey Jeff, did you smell it ?

Just so everyone knows, Moose can be very aggressive. Unlike Bambi, they will hurt you bad.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Snowballs wrote
MikeK wrote
  Deer diarrhea...
The way it's all stuck together maybe it's deer consti-poo-tion ? Needs more fiber ?

Hey Jeff, did you smell it ?

Just so everyone knows, Moose can be very aggressive. Unlike Bambi, they will hurt you bad.
Nah... that was mush when it came out.  I've stepped in that type plenty o' times at our old camp.

I've never seen a moose in the Adirondacks.  They are pretty hard to find... but it's actually the only animal I'm slightly concerned about attacking me (well other than a rabid red squirrel LOL).

If you happen upon a moose, put something between you and the moose.  A tree, your canoe, your hiking partner... whatever.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
We have the occasional moose on Garnet Hill.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I always thought deer scat was in pellets, so the largish clump threw me.

Anyhow, I've been around plenty of moose, but mostly out west.  My only Adirondack moose sighting was along Barton Mines Road in North River, 20 years ago now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40

From the moose river plains Facebook page. They are out there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
 I've never seen a moose in the Adirondacks.... (well other than a rabid red squirrel LOL).
" Tis Moose and Squirrel Natasha. Tis always Moose and Squirrel ".

I've been charged by a red squirrel. Had to jump up twice as the varmit passed underneath me. It was mating season. He and another male were chasing a female when he pulled off and gave me the evil eye. I told him he wasn't big enough to kick anybody's ass. It was kind of a Clint Eastwood moment as me and the squirrel stared at each other.  .....then he charged. All 2 lbs of him.

True story.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Snowballs wrote
MikeK wrote
 I've never seen a moose in the Adirondacks.... (well other than a rabid red squirrel LOL).
" Tis Moose and Squirrel Natasha. Tis always Moose and Squirrel ".

I've been charged by a red squirrel. Had to jump up twice as the varmit passed underneath me. It was mating season. He and another male were chasing a female when he pulled off and gave me the evil eye. I told him he wasn't big enough to kick anybody's ass. It was kind of a Clint Eastwood moment as me and the squirrel stared at each other.  .....then he charged. All 2 lbs of him.

True story.
Ha!  I had one steal a loaf of bread from me and then have the audacity to come back into the lean-to and get back into the half eaten bag and chatter at me.  Once I got him out he came back the nearest branch to the lean-to and continued to taunt me from there.  This was quite some time ago and I've learned that even during the day I tie my food up in a tree.  Those varmints, and the chipmunks, are responsible for more food theft than any bear.
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Well, this is easy. Did it taste like moose or deer?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I'd say neither, unless it a moose with indigestion. Looks more like bear (but not quite) or perhaps a vegetarian wolf.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sick Bird Rider wrote
I'd say neither, unless it a moose with indigestion. Looks more like bear (but not quite) or perhaps a vegetarian wolf.
This.....looks more like bear to me....as lolkl pointed out the taste test is the only way to tell for sure

there are plenty of Moose in the dacks......big woods up there, oh excuse me, wilderness so they're tough to see
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Def deer. Campy I'm shocked. Less boozing and more stalking this season....
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
Def deer. Campy I'm shocked. Less boozing and more stalking this season....

I don't think so
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Couldn't be more Obvi. In fact high probability them droppings came from a buck.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
ScottyJack wrote
Couldn't be more Obvi. In fact high probability them droppings came from a buck.
Most likely...

Or it could be from one of the panthers that do not exist in the Adirondacks.

Camp needs to get around more... he's all cooped up on private land... 3 million acres dude...  3 million!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Now that is funny!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote

Camp needs to get around more... he's all cooped up on private land... 3 million acres dude...  3 million!
Getting funnier
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
If you can't tell I'm in a ball busting mood this morning... I better quit before someone gets upset for real.