classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

49 Degrees North, WA 03/11/13

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
For our sixth and final ski day here in the Inland Northwest, we skied a mountain that has entered my "Top 5 U.S. Locals Areas" list: 49 Degrees North. A quick one-hour drive directly north of Spokane, 49 has impressive terrain spread across two peaks, including one, Angel Peak on the far looker's right, that recently got a dedicated lift.

While the utilitarian lodge and lack of resort amenities say "day area," its stats -- 1,850 vertical feet, 300 inches of annual snowfall, 2,300 patrolled acres (not sure how much of that is lift-served, but a decent amount) -- say "big mountain." With less than 12 hours before a Pineapple Express rolled into the region (excellent timing as we're flying home today), we got picture-perfect weather: cloudless skies and temps in the mid-30s. It was a memorable day that fell somewhere between spring and mid-winter:

Just like all the other ski areas in this region, 49 has big-league tree skiing literally everywhere, including the massive Cy's Glades:

And just like the other nearby day areas, Lookout Pass and Mount Spokane, 49 Degrees North is making big terrain and infrastructure additions:

I know that many people on this site visit the PNW and often fly through Spokane to hit the Canadian mountains directly north, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not saving at least one day for 49 Degrees North.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 49 Degrees North, WA 03/11/13

CUontheslopes131
Great write-up! I'll have to add it to my list of places to visit in the Pacific Northwest.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Somehow I don't think I've ever even heard of this place and I've skied almost everywhere.  James you are a skiing machine.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
James, I'm glad I read your report. I've driven by there at least 3 times on my way to BC and always wondered about it. No more wondering. Next time I'm not driving by!
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
I share the same sentiments as RMark. Always wondered about it when we were passing through Cheweleh/Coleville areas on our way to Rossland from Spokane. Looks like next time we'll be hitting it on the way.

I have also included Schweitzer on our return from BC.