classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NYSB Interview with Killington's Mike Solimano

Harvey
Administrator
As I mentioned in the Killington Conditions thread, I'd like to interview the top dog, Mike Solimano.

I'd appreciate your help with questions. If you have ideas, please post them here.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NYSB Interview with Killington's Mike Solimano

Johnnyonthespot
How profitable is the late season? Is it worth it or just for marketing purposes?
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I swear to god I just read the conditions thread after posting the above. Funny.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Definately ask some questions about hosting the WC and if he thinks the WC would ever consider visiting during a better part if the season.

Also is there ever a chance the connection to Pico could happen.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I'd be curious about the interconnect too. I thought they wrote it off a long time ago.

They announced a new lift a while ago. Details about that would be interesting.

I may be the only one but I'm also curious where most of thier employees come from nowadays. I think there are a lot fewer dedicated ski-bums in the east but, of those that exist, I'd imagine Killington gets a good share. When I worked there I knew guys from around the EC mostly, NYS, PA , NH etc but when I worked in Tahoe, there were folks from all over the  country and a few from other parts of the world. I'm curious  how much it might have changed since back then and whether it's been easier or harder to fill the jobs in recent years. What percentage are there for the love of skiing and how many are Vermonters in need of a paycheck? How many return each year etc?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
I would like to hear about ROI projections on their MTB and summer operations.  I'm not sure how long they've been doing lift serviced, maybe thats a good question.  It seems like these trail projects are MAJOR coin and almost impossible to get a return on... however Killington just keeps building trail so there must be financial feasibility... Just as with Superstar.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Do they collect data and study the demographics of their customer base?  If so, how do they interpret what that data is telling them about the future of the industry, and how is that shaping their long term strategic plans?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
- How much does insurance cost (as % of lift ticket price, $/year, whatever) and how do they keep that cost down.
- I think it was in Ski Area Mgmt. mag that I saw the return rate for 1st timers was 17%.  What can the industry do to increase that number?
- How important are "feeder hills" and, given that some are further south (climate change), does that pose a risk to K in terms of losing future visitors?
- What's his/Killington's level of risk taking like versus other hills?  Is there a fear of failure?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Id be interested in their relationship with the area restaurants and lodging facilities.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Is the impact of using terrain based instruction similar for skiing versus snowboarding?  Will Killington continue to work with Snow Operating?

Do many people make use of the Snow Guarantee during mid-season (mid-Jan to early March)?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I've always had an appreciation for K's support/loyalty to their pass holders. Given K is seemingly always the first to open and the last to close on the EC, how much of that is purely for marketing vs. for their loyal supporters/pass holders.

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Harv, do you think this is likely to happen?  Maybe more toward the fall?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I would really like to do it.

I am not an expert on Killington and I need some more good questions to justify taking Mike's time. What was posted here was helpful but not enough. I'd say I have 5 or 6 good questions and I probably need 20.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
How much does hosting the World Cup cost the company? What is the return on that investment, for both the company and the Killington skier, both short term visitor and season pass holder?

How does the purchase of Stowe by Vail Inc. affect the Vermont ski industry outlook? How will Killington react to that market change?

Does Killington lose money by keeping the Superstar lift turning until almost June? What is the justification for that?

How many serious injuries and deaths on the hill are results of incidents with one or all parties involved are under the influence of alcohol? Does the mountain even keep a record of that? Does the management of the hill ever feel morally or legally compromised about such incidents, since Killington sells and makes a substantial part of its revenue from on mountain alcohol sales?

Has Killington received offers from a larger ski mountain owning corporation to sell itself, or, if not, would it entertain such an offer? Has Killington considered merging with any other ski hill or hills in Vermont, using a common ticket, as it once did with Sugarbush in the 90s?

When will the K1 base lodge be replaced?

Why was the lodge at the top of the gondola barely larger than the old lodge, hardly releasing seating pressure on the K1 base lodge. Why not a two story lodge on top of the gondola, like at Snowbird?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In the next few decades, climate change is going to seriously impact the length of the ski season. How are they planning for that?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Is the impact of using terrain based instruction similar for skiing versus snowboarding?  Will Killington continue to work with Snow Operating?

Do many people make use of the Snow Guarantee during mid-season (mid-Jan to early March)?

Can you elaborate on these?

What is the snow Guarantee?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
marznc wrote

Can you elaborate on these?

What is the snow Guarantee?
I believe, at least in the old days, if you weren’t happy with conditions and went to CS by a certain time in the morning (10 maybe?) you could exchange your ticket for a voucher. It’s possible I’m not remembering that correctly
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Found the Snow Guarantee on the Kton website.  My question from a while back was whether people used it during mid-season.  Probably when there was some unusually warm and wet weather in Jan or Feb.  Mount Snow and Sunday River have a similar snow guarantee.

https://www.killington.com/plan-your-trip/tickets-passes/lift-tickets/our-snow-guarantee

"If our snow conditions are not up to snuff, we’ve got you covered. Just bring your ticket to any Guest Service desk or ticket window and exchange it for a return visit voucher.

DETAILS

* Tickets purchased on-site from any window before 12:00 p.m. may be exchanged within one hour of purchase.
* Multi-day, direct-to-lift (including Express Cards and M.A.X. pass) and pre-purchased tickets may be exchanged for a voucher before 10:00 a.m. on each day they are valid.
* Complimentary tickets and season passes are not eligible.
* During early and late season, when ticket rates are reduced, the snow guarantee voucher will be a dollar value lift ticket credit based on the one-day lift ticket price.
* Vouchers are valid any day for one calendar year; they are non-transferable, non-refundable, carry no cash value and cannot be extended beyond the original expiration date."
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Ok, so I remembered it pretty accurately. Keep in mind I worked there for one season in the 90s so there wasn’t any max/ikon pass to consider. And my memory is that it didn’t get invoked very often, early, late or mid season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I got another ticket once way back in, I think, 96, when a very windy snow storm shut all the lifts down except the then new Rams Head Quad. Funny thing, I had a fun day that day, skiing the trees accessible from that chair, and doing a hike to the top of Rams Head where the old double dropped you off. The ticket was like extra toppings on my ice cream.
funny like a clown