classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
324 messages Options
1234567 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Brownski
Holy crap. I was just thinking "kid in a backpack, just like the good ole days..." and then I finished the sentence and I was horrified. I sure hope the kid is ok. Thanks for the report, Matt.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Ugh! That is horrible. If falling flat on your back on Powder Puff is even in the realm of possibility, how are you skiing carrying a baby?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
I've seen experts doing this too but anything can happen on a ski hill. You can get clocked from behind even if you are totally in control.  Babies face backward in car seats until they are 18 months because they don't have the neck strength to help prevent neck or head injury.

I took Neve on my back nordic skiing for a few minutes when she was little. We didn't crash or see another skier. But I realized that even though it wasn't that cold out she really wasn't moving or generating any of her own heat.  Her face got red, and I figured I was being selfish and didn't do it again.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Funny I just updated my profile pic on Facebook. This was my kids first day out. She was 2, it was a warm and quiet midweek day with almost zero traffic. I felt super comfortable with it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
raisingarizona wrote
Funny I just updated my profile pic on Facebook. This was my kids first day out. She was 2, it was a warm and quiet midweek day with almost zero traffic. I felt super comfortable with it.

RA, you are no mere mortal though.  I'm sure you could ski circles around the monkey that fell on his ki!
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i was skiing paradise at mad river when for some unknown reason this lady informs me she's 6 months pregnant as she drops off the waterfall. smart? she probably could of found an easier way down.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Marcski
Thanks!

I guess if I felt there was any chance of falling I wouldn't risk it. There have been times where I often think I'm more comfortable on my skis than walking. It's hard to remember that we all have different levels of risk tolerance not to mention how dangerous some things are that we do without thought every day. For example, I think it was Harv that mentions car seats? Well that sounds nice and all but imho driving with everyone else in the road is a lot more dangerous than cautiously skiing an empty mountain with a kid in my pack but I bet there were plenty of people judging me that day.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Az
great pic of you and the kid
"Peace and Love"
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
You posted the picture so I figure you can handle the flack. As my clients always say, " I didn't plan on falling". You can take all the risks you want because you are an adult. However, a child should not be part of your risk taking because they have no say in the matter and are greatest risk for injury, not you. Falling from the height of about 6 feet could easily snap the neck of a child while you suffer no injury. If you want to involve children in winter activities, pull them on a sled or put skis on them.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
frk wrote
You posted the picture so I figure you can handle the flack. As my clients always say, " I didn't plan on falling". You can take all the risks you want because you are an adult. However, a child should not be part of your risk taking because they have no say in the matter and are greatest risk for injury, not you. Falling from the height of about 6 feet could easily snap the neck of a child while you suffer no injury. If you want to involve children in winter activities, pull them on a sled or put skis on them.
Meh, different levels of risk tolerance and skills sets. What you see as dangerous I might just see like holding a baby.

Maybe you shouldn't hold your baby when you are tired or drive around with them in your car? That driving a car stuff is dangerous!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Got no problem with this. Looks likes you were having fun. I am pretty sure you weren't hucking any 50ft cliffs that day.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Everybody has to make their own decisions. Like it or not, we have to make those decisions for our kids too. Ingrid Backstrom was in the last Warren Miller movie with a 7-month baby bump. There's a continuum of risk, like RA said. A given activity might be more or less risky, depending on skill level, conditions, etc... When I started skiing there were lots (well- some- enough to notice) of crunchy ex- hippy types cruising around Jiminy with kids in backpacks. I would bet money they didn't all have RA's skill set.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
Brownski wrote
 I would bet money they didn't all have RA's skill set.
It wouldn't matter if she was Lara Gut or Lindsay Vonn, frk is 100% correct in his comments regarding risk of trauma to babies and potential falls/impacts (with physics).   You're correct about everyone making their own decisions, but I'm rather surprised the mountain allows/allowed this given the liability.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Don't fall.

There are times that we accept that that is not acceptable. So don't do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
My dad would ski around with me in a backpack

I would also stand up between my parents in the front seat of the car on trips

Anyway, I need to get to Platty someday
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Platty was rockin' yesterday. Blowing snow all over the mountain, Plunge and Face were the R(uns)OTD.  Cars were parked down the road and John Hill was playing in the bar.  

Heading back for more now.
Reply | Threaded
|

cbuzbo
Drove up (in record time) for MLKJr day. We had the place all to our selves--it was so empty, in fact, I doubted the double was open at 9am.   Bluebird skies all day.

Considering the high daytime temps over the weekend, the snow was still "fresh" and soft--only found dust on crust on Blockbuster. Skiied Northface, Upper Plunge, and Giant Slalom all day.  They were blowing snow all AM on lower Northface and Lower Face. Hurricane Kitty and the Mother's Milk topped off one of the chillest MLK ski days in years.

I have to thank this site for turning me on to this great mountain-- don't worry I'll keep it a secret.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for the report CB.

One thing I thought was incredibly cool, I think (?) Laz was blowing that snow on Face and Northface to improve the holiday skiing experience, not really to build depth.

As far as keeping it a secret... that's a conundrum. There is a long way to go before Plattekill is crowded, and we want the mountain to survive, so don't guard that secret too closely.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Plattekill
Don't keep it a secret please.....thanks for the positive review, glad you liked our snowmaking.
Reply | Threaded
|

cbuzbo
Deal!

I actually posted a picture on FB of the "lifeline" which was met with many surprised responses--"Where is that?!"

Hoping for some low temps early next week.
1234567 ... 17