classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
218 messages Options
1234 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tales from the Hinterland: 2014/2015 edition

Sick Bird Rider
It is Halloween, there is snow sticking to the ground and Blue Toes is in Cuba. Time to get started:

The Hinterlandian Snow-depth-o-meter as of this morning. Believe it or not, that is a colour image. Accumulation has roughly doubled since then. Ground is very wet under the white stuff, not quite ready for prime time. As they say, no one gives a shit that you skied on rocks and grass.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2014/2015 edition

Telemark Dave
Well.... Did you?  (Not that I care)

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
Well.... Did you?  (Not that I care)

TD
Ha, no. Didn't really cross my mind (not enough snow). Must be getting old.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Funny, it almost looks like ski tracks to the right of the chair! ...
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
....and so it begins.  Ullr and Skadi are to be praised and thanked.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
My snow depth-o-meter isn't quite so esoteric as SBR's: my porch railing this AM.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sublime time... Early season waxing/tuning, a loooong doppio espresso, Pretenders cranked... Just like comfort food to me.  
I intended to get out for a fast grass meadow skip yesterday but one thing led to another...
Whatever.... I'll go get some today.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Back on the Chain Gang?  OK, we've finally found something we can agree on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
Wait a minute!  There are skis in that photo that are NOT Voile Chargers!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Noah John
Yup. Learning to Crawl... The whole album gives me flashbacks to working in a ski shop while I was at college.  Apropos (for me) while tuning.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Oops.  Secrets out.  The Atomic Infamous' are my sons....just in case you might also question my freeheel allegiance.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I've been tuning and waxing for a month now. The Grand daughter dropped off 6 pair, 2 Sl, 2 GS, 1 SG, and 1 twin tip, the first 5 need my special race tune. Then there are the spouse's 2 pair and my 6 pair. I've been tuning since October. One of those race pair takes me almost 3 hours, the others go quickly. I figure I'll have them all done by Turkey day. Then it's just routine touch ups.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Nice work PeeTex.  There's something about working on skis that is immensely satisfying to the soul.. Must feel great having your grand kids bring you their skis - that is very cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Telemark Dave wrote
Nice work PeeTex.  There's something about working on skis that is immensely satisfying to the soul.. Must feel great having your grand kids bring you their skis - that is very cool.
What's even more satisfying is when my grand daughter is in the basement with me tuning. We did one pair of GS & SL together before she had to go home. She usually doesn't like my eclectic selection of music though.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave

Well all I can say is, so far, so good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
It is the gift that keeps on giving. Thirty minutes ago:

Reply | Threaded
|

Chuuurles
hows she looking today in the hinterlands? more snow on the way?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Chuuurles wrote
hows she looking today in the hinterlands? more snow on the way?
Pretty darn snowy, Chuuurles. Spent a lot of time today just dealing with snow:

It was knee-deep in the driveway this morning, plus we already had about 10 inches on the ground. Here's the dog coming up for air:

Did manage to go for a short schwack on the Chargers, will post a few pics a little later.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Chuuurles
Yup.  Lots. And lots.  And still more...
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I stayed home today,  I ended up doing our driveway by hand after our old snowblower balked at the snowfall..
I did manage to hike 500 meters down the road to an old snowmobile trail that serves as a trailhead to some glades on a ridge about a  2k ski in..I set some nice knee deep skin tracks, but got dead ended at a still open wetland. So I turned around...
Still pretty nice to be skiing in almost 2 feet of fresh in November.  

Tomorrow SBR and I will go plunder the goods.. He got out this aft for a recon schwack, and should be posting TR soon..

I took refuge under a bunch of Pine - I was afraid of dropping my phone.. I need a leash.. Or something.
1234 ... 11