classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
218 messages Options
12345 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2014/2015 edition

Chuuurles
amazing i went surfing on lake erie today, but now iam starting to think i chose the wrong sport. should be in buffalo. i could see it from across the lake and it was black with snow clouds all day long!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Chuuurles wrote
amazing i went surfing on lake erie today, but now iam starting to think i chose the wrong sport. should be in buffalo. i could see it from across the lake and it was black with snow clouds all day long!
Nice!  I've been seeing some pretty nice pics of Erie going off - on the SurfOntario FB page. Also some ok waves at Bluffers.. Nothing wrong with seizing the day...
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

A busy day in the Hinterlands: Nov. 18, 2014

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Today was a day off, so I planned to sleep in a bit. When I woke up in the early daylight, peered at the clock radio to check the time (yes, we still have a clock radio) and realized that the power was out, I went back to sleep. Eventually, I got up and and saw this:

But, since the power was off, other priorities reared their ugly heads. Like, COFFEE. Fortunately, I had some leftover from yesterday (yum) and could heat it up on the BBQ. Unfortunately, the BBQ was covered in snow:

Once fortified with coffee and breakfast, I ventured outside to investigate the new snow. It was definitely deep (note that this is in the driveway, recently cleared of the previous 10" snowfall):

I was a bit worried about starting the tractor, which powers our snowblower. The power being out, I couldn't plug in the block heater, and it is a little reluctant to start when it is this cold and not plugged in. There was a lot of snow to shovel:

The power came back on around 9:30 am, and as you may have noticed from the previous pics, the tractor did start and snow got moved. After a little lunch, it was time to go skiing. Most years, my first ski is on marginal snow, using the trusty and venerable Trak Couloirs. Not today, it was time for some CHARGER LOVE!

The skis behaved more like sliding snowshoes as I slogged out to the nearest of our little stashes, Bonk Hill. Conditions looked primo and the guide said we were good to to go:

Even with the Chargers, at 112 underfoot, the skiing was s l o w - m o t i o n. Just as well, all things considered:

Considering the late hour of the day and my slacker mentality, I decided that one run was enough and that I would take the "easy" way out up the logging road. Hah. Well, the pond was a no-go:

So I headed across the beaver trail and first beaver dam:

Slogged through the forest, only to find that I needed to do some serious schwacking across the second beaver dam:

After a long, slow climb up the logging road, I made it home. What a great way to start the ski season.

Winter is here, go get some!

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A busy day in the Hinterlands: Nov. 18, 2014

ml242
Always be beeping!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
A slushfest!

The coffee addiction seems even stronger than the ski addiction.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by ml242
Beep, beep!

Hah, even my cell phone didn't work for most of ths trip. First time ever though, used Facebook messages to set up a safety net. Home alone and all, the dog can't dial 911.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
A slushfest!

The coffee addiction seems even stronger than the ski addiction.
The slush was carefully avoided.

Coffee and skiing are inextricably intertwined.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
That's how we roll Harv.. We're caf-fiends!!
A few weeks ago we lost power, I fired up the Generator and promptly carted my trusty Rancilio out to the garage...
To pull a loooong  doppio espresso.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
That's how we roll Harv.. We're caf-fiends!!
A few weeks ago we lost power, I fired up the Generator and promptly carted my trusty Rancilio out to the garage...
To pull a loooong  doppio espresso.
That's core. I think you should change your username to "Rancilio."
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sick Bird Rider wrote
"Rancilio."
This word comes to mind when I consider SBR's day old cup o joe heated in the barbie.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Here is a little teaser for a complete report to come at some undetermined time in the future.

TD gets some Charger Love on Secret Hill:

And goes head over heels in love after the rollover:

I have to say that it sure is nice to have help breaking trail in these conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Sa-weet.
Watch out though, PA won't be happy you be'in in the trees.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
PeeTex wrote
Sa-weet.
Watch out though, PA won't be happy you be'in in the trees.
Hey, we were all wearing eye protection!

Nothing worse than being poked in the eye with a sharp stick.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Just to prove that although SBR is a polyvalent glissemeister, he loves freeheel skiing the most...'cause nothing can beat tele for equipment fiddling.  

Here he ponders on his binding preferences..while Jeff LeCheff patiently waits...
Something's never change.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave

A enthusiastic thumbs up, while Jeff contemplates some Charger love...
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
...and here's my equivalent of SBR's Muskoka chair (Adirondack chair) snowfall gauge.  My mailbox.

Not Niseko Japan, and (thankfully) not Buffalo either.  But not bad for November 19.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave

Day 3 of snow.. Another 6" last night..
Forecast for Sun-Monday is the four letter R word, and warm.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Harv, this ones for you.  Hinterland jump-start.  Quad long espresso.

Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
seems to have nice adhesion
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
OK, I will see TD his snowmeter and raise him one. This morning at SBRHQ:

It's not Buffalo but man, we have a lot of snow.

And, you know, after 4 hours of sleep in the last 24, I just don't think I can muster the eenrgy for an in depth report on yesterday's tour. As you may have gathered, we had some excellent snow, and had some fun.

There was fiddling done by all parties and our new ski amigo LeChef is definitely yearning for fatter skis:

And of course, for every down, there is an up. The Charger crew went up this hill with no skins attached, for what it is worth:

12345 ... 11