The Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye/Scotch Thread

93 messages Options
123456 ... 10
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: The Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye/Scotch Thread

Coach Z wrote
I think Knob is around 100 proof which is just too harsh for me.
Bah!  Booker's, which is from the same Beam small batch line as Knob, is 128.....and it's gooood.  A couple ice cubes mellow the bite, and the flavor is great.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

Bourbon, I love it. Jim Beam is my choice for well or just above well but I prefer Makers or Crown. But....after the first one who cares!?! It was popular in Jackson when I lived there to drink it in pint glasses on the rocks. I don't drink much of it now as my body doesn't agree with pints of whiskey but a little cocktail every now and then to get things started off right is appropriate sometimes. What about music? What's your go to whiskey drinking music? I gotta go with country.
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

Regular Makers is ok, but 46 is much better.  I picked up a bottle of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye last year, and it was very, very good.  It was voted in one (of many) whiskey competition as 2016 Whiskey of the Year.  Try it if you get the chance.
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

I'm thinking of picking up a decent non-peated single malt, a Tamdhu Speyside or Bruichladdich Islay, before I give up on scotch. Yes, Islay may be home to the peated beasts, but Bruichladdich uses a non-peated barley for their Islay single malts.  Of course getting a non-peated scotch that is aged in American oak casks previously used to age bourbon is likely to get me something that tastes more like........bourbon, so why not just stick with that!?  The Bruichladdich isn't that expensive though, so it's worth a taste.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Hey JT
If you like the high proof stuff like Bookers, maybe try Aberlour A'Bundah. It's a Highland cask strength scotch so it's pretty burly without being peaty. Might be just your thing
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

Thanks for the recommendation!
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Petey
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Took a sample of Suntory Toki around to some of my customers today. It's worth trying. Taste -wise it's sort of the Jameson of Japanese whiskies but more delicate, with just  the faintest whiff of smoke
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
DrSkimeister DrSkimeister
Reply |

Bourbon-Blanton's #1....Woodford Select not too far below it on my preference scale though

Whiskey-Jamison's

Neat the only way for any of 'em.

JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

There are some other good Irish out there, but  on Jamison.  You ever have the Caskmates Edition aged in Stout barrels?  Good stuff!

Neat is never wrong, but neither is a cube IMHO, especially if imbibing the higher octane barrel proof bourbons and ryes.....
123456 ... 10