classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
234 messages Options
1234567 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye/Scotch Thread

MidwestTeleMan
I’ve been drinking Four Roses a bunch recently and have really enjoyed its taste. Luckily enough when my girlfriend and I go down to Cincinnati area for her family gatherings, none of her family drinks, and being in Kentucky they get bourbon for gifts all of the time. This turns into me diving into the cabinet of 60  bottles of unopened liquor for a taste fest.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!

As good as many bourbons that go for close to $50 for 750, this bottle is a steal at $50 for 1.75.  Good stuff.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
JTG4eva! wrote

As good as many bourbons that go for close to $50 for 750, this bottle is a steal at $50 for 1.75.  Good stuff.
Good find, jumpturnguy! I could add that since that's a wheated bourbon it's a great value choice for guys who like makers mark, Weller or, shudder, pappy van winkle!
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
This post was updated on .
One of my coworkers gave me this.

http://www.tuthilltown.com/tuthilltown-spirits/hudson-baby-bourbon/
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
LMK if I want some of that. Please!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Hudson is good, but it’s $40+ for 375ml.  There are so many bourbons just at good, IMHO, that cost $40+ for 750ml.  So, as much a bourbon fan as I am, I’ve never bought a bottle of Hudson, just not worth 2x other bourbons, for me at least.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
Hudson is good, but it’s $40+ for 375ml.  There are so many bourbons just at good, IMHO, that cost $40+ for 750ml.  So, as much a bourbon fan as I am, I’ve never bought a bottle of Hudson, just not worth 2x other bourbons, for me at least.
I've tasted it and I'm not a fan but some folks are willing to pay the price for it. I always assumed they didn't realize they were paying the equivalent of 80-100 bucks for a normal sized bottle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yeah but Garrison NY! Such a cool area. I want!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
I always assumed they didn't realize they were paying the equivalent of 80-100 bucks for a normal sized bottle.
Yeah, that’s how I’ve always been.  I’m willing to spend $45 on a good bottle of bourbon, but they want me to pay that much for THAT baby tiny bottle?  No thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Yeah but Garrison NY! Such a cool area. I want!
I’d rather pay half as much for Beacon Bourbon, from a distillery in my home town!  Beacon is way cooler than Garrison these day.   Don’t fall for the shiny, expensive boubon bauble.  They are counting on the cool niche thing.  Try it at the bar and if you love it then buy it.  I think once you try it you’ll fall in with me and Brownski.....it’s not worth the premium over your beloved Knob.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I came across this little gem while cleaning out a drawer the other day. Unfortunately it's just a 100 ml so it didn't last very long. So good.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Me?  No, I don’t have a drinking problem!  I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.....no problem!

Ok, given that half my posts are about beer or whiskey, combined with the little gut I’ve developed that my kids attribute to my beer drinking, maybe I need to re-evaluate that!!

Anywho.....benefit of traveling internationally is duty free shopping for things it’s hard to find in the US.  Good finds, good prices....who’s to argue??

So, I’ve been wanting to get some Japanese whiskey, but it can be hard to find and a little pricey in the US.  So on this trip I picked up a bottle of Hibiki Harmony, Master’s Select (very good, but not exceptional)....and a bottle of Nikka From the Barrell (which some have labeled one of the best whiskey values in the world) at 102.8 proof.

Excited to get home tonight and sample!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Straight from Ireland’s oldest whiskey distillery, my daughter brought these back from her visit to Northern Ireland.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Cool!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Cool!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
The height of my Whiskey days was drinking Virginia Gentleman with my Dad in the back yard. Got waisted on Southern Comfort a couple of times when I was trying to instruct the boys at MIT on the finer things from the south. Not a Whiskey drinker, Gin is more my style. Use to be a Bombay Blue guy but Blue Line Gin from Lake Plastic is now my fav. About the only thing good up there since SJ fucked up the place.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Since you aren’t a whiskey drinker I’ll forgive your indiscretion!  SoCo is a 100% grain-neutral spirit, flavored with fruit and spices to taste (????) “like whiskey”.  

It is not whiskey.  Nor is it a finer thing from the South!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!

Damn fine Kentucky Straight!  You know what?  McConaughey is more than just commercials.  Seriously, if he had any input on the 8 year old mesquite and oak charcoal filtered offering....kudos!  Very easy drinking, a nice bourbon with which to go neat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hey, that stuff is brand new, JTG. I just got to try it the other day. Extremely good but I still prefer the the wild Turkey 101. I have a picture of me with Jimmy Russel on my phone some place.
1234567 ... 12