Today's Climb

classic Classic
174 messages Options
1234 ... 18
Reply |  

Today's Climb

Harvey
Admin
Zelda bought one adult and one kids 10-pack to this climbing gym. I've been once before and had a hard time trusting the auto rappel thing.

Neve just loves the place. Today Zelda wasn't feeling well so I went with Neve. It's a blast because she DIGS IT so much. The little girl who freaks at a Daddy Long Legs, rappels from 40 feet with no fear.

It's also cool because she is better than me.

Tried to buy some shoes today but the store I went to was out of my size. My crappy sneakers are crappy.

Will probably go again though.

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

Re: Today's Climb

Telemark Dave

Two thumbs up Harv.  Nice thread starter.  

Reply |  

ml242
look at those guns!

Reply |  

ml242

My favorite Colorado climber gets a little Welcome to the Gunks on Jackie, a 2 star classic in the grey Dick.

Reply |  

Adk Jeff
ml242 wrote
My favorite Colorado climber gets a little Welcome to the Gunks on Jackie, a 2 star classic in the grey Dick.
Jackie
Try Classic sometime too, the next climb over.  Highly recommended.  I think it's a 7 in Grey Dick but feels pretty comparable to Jackie.

Reply |  

ml242
The biggest problem in the gunks is that there's too much to do in one.... lifetime! Going to definitely give Classic a try soon, I need to stay away from the Guide Wall, the traffic over there pisses me off even on a weekday.

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
To the guys who climb on real rocks, potential question time...

...it seems like the handholds on the walls are a little too easy to grab and hold. (Except for a few that are designed to be hard).  How often are you stopped (or do you have to turn around) because there is just nothing to hold on to?

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

Adk Jeff
Harvey wrote
How often are you stopped (or do you have to turn around) because there is just nothing to hold on to?
All the time.  Usually in a panic 15' feet above the last pro.

Most common thing a belayer hears:  "It's blank!  There's nothing here! F me!"

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
Adk Jeff wrote
Most common thing a belayer hears:  "It's blank!  There's nothing here! F me!"
THAT'S what I want to read or hear about. Fascinating scary.

I also wonder about the depth of the holds in the real world.  Half of the holds/grips (what do you call them?) bolted to the wall have deep places to grab. That seems a little unrealistic for real rock.

Also you see real climbers putting "opposite pressure" (what do you call it?) on a crack to get up.  Why don't they have any cracks in the gym>

I'm having fun indoors. I love the way your arms feel after you climbed up a few times. Looking forward to seeing how the right shoes would help.

Reply |  

ml242
Kathy's Crack, named after this first ascent in the gym a couple months after it opened.

1234 ... 18