classic Classic
668 messages Options
123456 ... 67
Reply |  

Re: Today's Ride

Snowballs
Banned
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Big Wheels are cool, much more maneuverable than a traditional tricycle. They're stable. They can powerslide and flat out rip for a kid.

I was always bummed they weren't made when we were kids.

Reply |  

JasonWx
The Big Wheel® was first developed by Louis Marx Toys and presented to the public at the 1969 New York Toy Fair. The Big Wheel® immediately became a national success.

I remember all my friends riding them..I'm 48...

"Peace and Love"
Reply |  

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Today's ride was a little bit more of an adventure. Telemark Dave, now fully transformed into his summer personality, SUPah Dave, came over with with his project bike after a morning SUP session. I spent the morning fixing some screen doors. After getting my equipment vetted, we headed off down the bush trail into Wolfland, retracing one of our winter ski routes by bike. The bugs were fierce, the day was hot and a good time was had by all.

This beast has been Dave's "work in progress" for a few years.

My new ride looks humble by comparison.

Parts of the the "trail" were a bit wet. Great way to baptize the Cameleon! Yes, I know there should be an "h" but that is the way it is spelled on the bike, presumably the French version.

Eventually we found the newer logging road. The places in between were a little rugged and there was almost as much hiking with bikes as riding.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply |  

Sick Bird Rider
Today's (or actually yesterday's) ride was worthy of a separate TR.

Check out the full story here, in the first installemt of TFTH - Summer Edition:
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Tales-from-the-Hinterland-Summer-Edition-td2996356.html

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply |  

Sick Bird Rider
Wow! Still stoked from yesterday's rides. In my opinion, downhill MTBing is the closest thing to skiing you can do in the no-snow season. You even get to ride a lift!  If you have not had the pleasure, imagine doing big, fast (or as fast as you dare), swoopy GS turns down a ski run, except you are on a bike. More later on TFTH - SE.

Riding up North America's longest covered people mover at Sir Sam's.
I borrowed a full-suspension DH bike for the event. Check out the travel on those forks!

A little video from Sir Sam's to convey the idea. I know the rider in this piece. He has no fear.

Every ski hill should have this activity! Are you listening, Steve Wright?

Reply |  

x10003q
There is one minor difference - do not fall. A fall while skiing converts all that forward energy into a slide on the snow. A fall off a MB is converting all that forward energy into a massive body slam stop were you land. I speak from experience.

Reply |  

Sick Bird Rider
x10003q wrote
There is one minor difference - do not fall. A fall while skiing converts all that forward energy into a slide on the snow. A fall off a MB is converting all that forward energy into a massive body slam stop were you land. I speak from experience.
I can see your point. This was my first experience at this kind of riding, so I took it easy. There are many similarities to skiing though: weighting and unweighting in the corners, absorbing bumps and letting the bike do the work for you are a few I learned. After over-steering (or was it under-steering?) the same corner twice, and ending up in the same rhubarb both times,  the best tip I got was "don't look at your front wheel, look where you want go." This made a huge difference. Kind of like "don't look at the trees, look at for the spaces between the trees."

I might wear my telemark knee pads if I do this again.

Reply |  

Sick Bird Rider
This just came through via the Book of Faces. Very inspirational, whether you are 5 or 53.

Reply |  

JasonWx
just got back from a MANS ride, no fire roads or pastures.

"Peace and Love"
Reply |  

Sick Bird Rider
Jason, you look like you were attacked by a wild animal. Hope there is a TR coming. You know you've had a good day when you draw blood.

123456 ... 67