MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Today's Ride

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Neve had a Christmas gift certificate from Toys R Us burning a hole in her pocket.  Not a fan of the place, the smell of plastic gives me a headache.

But you can buy a fat bike for $29.  I didn't buy it, but I rode it around the store until we were kicked out.  Zelda and Neve were mortified.

The Mongoose Stomp
I saw a very similar bike in our local big box store recently. My inner twelve year old thought it was the coolest bike I had ever seen. You can't imagine the stuff we rode on 20" wheels back in the day. Natural half pipes and singletrack bordered by poison ivy. Those tires would have let us take it to the next level. Or perhaps death.

Good for you on taking it for a ride.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Started off MDW on Friday taking off work and going for a ride down here at the shore - Hartshorne Woods in the Atlantic Highlands...runs along the Navesink River where I took this pano shot

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
I can't imagine riding now what I did as an 8 year old. I split the headset out of my bike jumping off rock out croppings and down steps.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
So this isn't actually of todays ride but a few weeks back I went out for three days with a few different folks to get footage for a local bike shop tv commercial. I ended up throwing together a short edit of it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkcEx6qluKs

Unfortunately during finals week I took a quick break from studying to do some hot laps on the AZT and crashed pretty badly. I severely dislocated two fingers so it ended my riding for a while. With summer classes starting back up I probably won't be getting back on the bike until August. :(
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
ADmiKe wrote
Hartshorne Woods in the Atlantic Highlands
Hartshorne/Huber Woods is always a fun ride.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
After SEVEN PAGES of long division we got out for our ride tonight.  We bought this web thingie that allows us to strap a Bball onto my rack, and we stopped at the train station to drain a few.

Nice night.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Nice video, sorry about the DL AZ.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
Canoeroots early summer magazine page 31” Playing the Futures” has nice article about kids gear for mountain biking. Better equipment make better riders is the gist of it. Thought you’d like to check it out if you can. Neve is about same age as girl in photo I’d say.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That building in your photo is incredible.

Thanks, it's all good. It could have been much worse so I'm feeling lucky.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That's our train station circa 1876 I think.  It was in use until 1980 something. Now that's a freight only line.

Town has a rich benefactor who laid out some cash to restore it and you can use it for your kids birthday or whatever.

HH I couldn't find Canoeroots magazine online.  Neve doesn't seem to be interested in MTB yet.  She just got a multi-speed bike for her birthday and while it's built for some light offroad, she seems to want to keep it on the smooth.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Interesting perspective with the chairlift in the mid-ground (Castle Peak in the background).  

Rode the Liberty-Behive complex

This is one my favorites in our area.  Lot's of different loop combinations here.  A full pull is just short of 25 miles with about 4000 vf of climbing.  The longest descent drops 2000 vf in just under 3 miles.  The trail passes through everything from quasi-rainforest to sage-brush desert.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Damn! Nice ride! Putting in miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Looks like a great place to live-- nice bike!
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
Interesting perspective with the chairlift in the mid-ground (Castle Peak in the background).  

Rode the Liberty-Behive complex

This is one my favorites in our area.  Lot's of different loop combinations here.  A full pull is just short of 25 miles with about 4000 vf of climbing.  The longest descent drops 2000 vf in just under 3 miles.  The trail passes through everything from quasi-rainforest to sage-brush desert.
Sweet! 2k in under 3 miles eh? I can smell your brakes burning from here in Arizona! That's steep. Where is this Nepa? PacNW?
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
raisingarizona wrote
Where is this Nepa? PacNW?
Yup.  North Central WA.  The big descent is actually not too steep.  I would even describe it as fairly wife friendly.  The trail design in that section is near perfect.  It's pretty fast, with a small handful of moderately technical sections.  In general, I would say that it is more tiring than technical.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
wow, what'd you do after lunch!?!?!

Seriously, that looks really cool. If I ever leave the city I'll happily trade in the single speed commuter rig for something more fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Full shus bike, too. That man knows how to travel.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Where is this Nepa? PacNW?
Yup.  North Central WA.  The big descent is actually not too steep.  I would even describe it as fairly wife friendly.  The trail design in that section is near perfect.  It's pretty fast, with a small handful of moderately technical sections.  In general, I would say that it is more tiring than technical.
 I love steep! Those are sweet stats for descending but I bet climbing that section is a bear.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Caught a shot of this bro on main street:
1 ... 16171819202122 ... 59