1175 messages Options
1 ... 32333435363738 ... 59
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Today's Ride

raisingarizona
Haha! So did mine.

I fell asleep on the beach one day and got a second degree burn on my back there, I remember that on that day there were Search and Rescue teams looking for a drowning victim.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Yeah they're the same trails they're ski trails that we mountain bike on that have now been improved to make the mountain biking better and dryer.

When you work with Steve the first thing he asks you is what do you want to use the trails for?  I said skiing and also biking and of course walking so the are designed with skiing primarily in mind, but biking too.

It's all about what's the proper turn radius for the equipment that you're on it's a compromise between Ski & Bike a little bit.
How many miles of trail do you have now, Harv?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
2 miles plus or minus.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Shuttled from #2 Canyon up over Twin Peaks down to Horselake... an enjoyable 1800ft ascent earns you about 4500ft of consistent descending vertical over about 14 miles.  Everything from big rhythm sections to rock staircases.  Big crash in the Sage Hills tall grass... tumbled down a rocky ravine.  Puked twice when I saw the gaping wounds on my forearms... hanging flaps of skin gross me out.  Was able to ride it out, but I was a bloody mess.  Required a total of 17 stitches.  All things considered it was blast.  First big crash this year... going to have to take it easy until the snow starts flying.

Looking Southeast towards Idaho

The view from above

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
So Cool!!!
It ain't riding until you go OTB...Pics of the wound?

Just joking...Feel better..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
JasonWx wrote
So Cool!!!
It ain't riding until you go OTB...Pics of the wound?

Just joking...Feel better..

Thanks Man!!

This is the right arm... 7 over here, 10 on the left.  The left is a bit too stingy to undress at the moment.  It looks about the same, but it required at bit more thread to bring the flap back into alignment.  I bounced off my right hip a couple of times on the tumble, so getting the proper position for the doc sewing me up we difficult... we had to do two restarts which were very painful (even being mostly numbed up).  The entire job took about 90 minutes.  Fortunately, my wife works at the hospital, so she was able to give me a lift back up canyon to retrieve my car.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Damn, 17 stitches..........and the overall experience was a blast.  Badass, and insane!  Not sure if I look forward to hooking up with you in the PNW at some point more or less after that.

Heal up quick!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'll echo ---- DAMN

Lucky for you chicks dig scars
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Damn, 17 stitches..........and the overall experience was a blast.  Badass, and insane!  Not sure if I look forward to hooking up with you in the PNW at some point more or less after that.

Heal up quick!
Thanks Gentlemen!

@JTG... fortunately, a tumble through some PNW PowPow won't leave you with many scars... perhaps a few broken bones, but most likely just a big smile.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by nepa
Ehh  just a minor flesh wound ...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
At Volcanoes NP today...First time on a tandem... it was a blast

Used the bike to shorten the hike...

To see stuff like this...

These are all over the place in the park
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
that is amazing..when I was there we couldn't get that close..

Love orchids
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
nepa - cool bike and awesome photos.

Not today's ride, but last Friday. Started at Robert Treman park (near Ithaca Brewery) and rode the loop around Cayuga Lake with two guys from work. Didn't go exactly as planned.

One of the guys unfortunately was on the wrong side of karma and ended up flatting at mile 45, mile 55, mile 85, and mile 89. The tire / rim combination he was riding was a beast to change, harder than anything I've ever seen. The first one took us probably 25 minutes, and each time it took two of us to work the tire back on. Three flats on the rear, one on the front. And we checked the tire meticulously for anything stuck in it each time.

Flat number two tore his sidewall. We booted that successfully but at flat number four we were out of tubes and my patch kit was f'd (forgot to check it before we left).

At that point we were near Ithaca HS so two of us went for a tube run in town. Came back only to find the guy's sidewall was also blown out. Limped him to the bike shop on about 25 lbs of air or less after wrapping some athletic tape around it courtesy of a trainer at the HS. Got a new tire and rode to our finish.

Between all of that, and the fact that one of the guys brought his 50 mile legs to a 100 mile ride (he warned us ahead of time), and a half hour stop for lunch, we were on the road about 10 hours!

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski

It was a beautiful, cool morning....great for an early ride on the new chariot. 4th ride in the 5 days since I got her. I need to tweak the fit a bit: cut the bars down a drop, add a spacer or 2 under the headset to raise the bars some and I should be good to go for awhile.  A new carbon/composite wheelset and hubs are on the horizon at some point and I may throw on a larger cassette or a smaller front ring to get another climbing gear as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
very sweet looking rig
you need to come to the other side of the Hudson..Some sweet trails here

Is that a 34t front?

I just put on a 32t
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
JasonWx wrote
very sweet looking rig
you need to come to the other side of the Hudson..Some sweet trails here

Is that a 34t front?

I just but on a 32t
Thanks, I'm quite happy so far.  It came with a 30 up front and an 11-42 out back. I may go 28 up front or to an 11-46 in back.

My buddy out your way was just raving this weekend after his ride on the new trails.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
The Sterling Forrest trail system is great. 10 miles of crazy good trails..
I wouldn't go smaller then 30t
Maybe change the cassette , just want to avoid having to change the shifter too
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I don't know those...you're going to have to be my guide.  Are they out of the old ski area?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Not at the ski area..
The trails are near the Tuxedo Country Club..

https://www.trailforks.com/region/sterling-forest-state-park-15807/

The Django is a sweet XC bike..

We are planning a sterling ride this Saturday if you are interested..
"Peace and Love"
1 ... 32333435363738 ... 59