classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1175 messages Options
1 ... 43444546474849 ... 59
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Today's Ride

JasonWx
only for the festival ....if your not peddling it's like riding a elephant...that said it was a lot of fun...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I bet they're fun! Things are going to change and I bet a lot more trail systems will start to allow them. there's plenty of multi-use trails (including dirtbike use) out here that you can make one worth it.

E-bikes are huge in Europe.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
raisingarizona wrote
I bet they're fun! Things are going to change and I bet a lot more trail systems will start to allow them. there's plenty of multi-use trails (including dirtbike use) out here that you can make one worth it.

E-bikes are huge in Europe.

exactly what i was going  to say..

I was totally toast at the end of my first ride..This bike let me keep on riding..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Our LBS seems solid. Carries Giant and Specialized.  They added Pedego(?) about a year ago. Electric street bikes.

I rode one. It wasn't a MTB or anything. The idea about an "assist" is a joke, to me.  The thing can rip around under power but to pedal the thing without using the juice is a real trudge.

The upside is impact on the LBS. They are flying off the shelves a big profit center, that brings a completely different crowd into the store, to buy all kinds of other stuff too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
I honestly don't care much if they ride the bike trails, but here's the thing, and ESPECIALLY in this area:  Bikers (and I mean like hardcore cyclists who hate those things) fought long and hard with local governments to get bike access in the places we have it.  Bikes were demonized and still are to some extent.  The fact that they, the cyclists, put in 1000s of hours of community work in for trails that can be used by hikers and bikers is the only reason the powers that be let us play.  I don't expect these folks to go down easy.  And I don't want to lose trail access, so I'll fight tooth and nail not to be grouped with motor vehicles (and yes, if they have a motor, they are a motor vehicle, assist or no).

If they want to put in the long fight to get access, good luck.  Be prepared to create an enormous backing and put in 1000s of hours of volunteer work in before anyone takes you serious.

It was really comical how those signs popped up around here.  I recall seeing the first eBikes (mtn eBikes) riding around on the backs of cars and within about a week those signs were there.  And yes, it will be enforced.  Many of those real cyclists can't wait to blow the whistle on one.

I'm just a fat dad guy that likes riding my bike.  The pedaling part is actually good for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Ebikes not allowed on Adirondack Forest Preserve Trails.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Scotty no bikes in wilderness, but yes in wild forest correct?  Are ebikes prohibited any where bikes are allowed?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
No mtn bikes at all in Wilderness and NO EBIKES on Wild Forest non motorized trails - not allowed.  

They’ll probably be allowed on designated roads in wild forest and on state lands designated as travel corridors.  

Ebikes are motorized vehicles and do not belong on trails built for non motorized equipment.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I didn't know there were no motor MTB trails in wild forest that is awesome.

What wild forests near the Siamese have good trails?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I have no plans on buying a eBike. But I hate to say it, they are the future. With in 5 yrs you will not be able to tell the difference between reg and assist bikes. And they are not motorized. If you ain't peddling you are not moving.
It enables you, imo to double your time on the bike.

people think  these things are just terrorizing  other riders and ripping up the trails...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Must be different on mtb terrain.  This one I rode would go for quite a while with no help on the street.  Maybe 2 hrs?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I didn't know there were no motor MTB trails in wild forest that is awesome.

What wild forests near the Siamese have good trails?
AFAIK, you can ride on any snowmobile trail, legally.  Some of them really suck in the summer because they don't get used and get overgrown with brush.  They are also wide and ride more like a forest road than singletrack.

Some hiking trails in wild forest are legal, some aren't.  All truck trails except in wilderness areas are legal that I know of.

Here is a guide to some old-school mountain biking in the Adirondacks.  There is way more.  Some of it is miserable hike-a-bike.  Some of it is actually fun riding.  I started mountain biking in 1994 and rode this stuff extensively, because that's what there was.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The access argument is legit but as far as policing the use goes....good luck with that one. Most government agencies don’t have the $ to police much at all.

We’ve had several people come through on e-bikes during our trail days and no one said a thing, fs officials as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Didnt someone cheat in racing with an ebike?  I think it might get easier and easier to hide?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
everyone i passed on climbs , just laughed and said, they want one.. It's all about having fun and not causing anyone or anything harm..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
raisingarizona wrote
The access argument is legit but as far as policing the use goes....good luck with that one. Most government agencies don’t have the $ to police much at all.

We’ve had several people come through on e-bikes during our trail days and no one said a thing, fs officials as well.
I think it's a lot different here.   Like I said, a lot of guys (cyclists) can't wait to catch someone.  All they need is your plate, a call to the county and the Sheriff will pay you a visit, guaranteed.

Should we just rename today's eBike ride?  I thought this was a stoke thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Unless they catch you in the act I doubt a sheriff is gonna do dookie. Cops have real crimes to worry about.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
everyone i passed on climbs , just laughed and said, they want one.. It's all about having fun and not causing anyone or anything harm..
Yeah, overall I don’t see a problem with them unless they become crazy fast and hikers make waves.

I don’t believe that they are really damaging trail tread the way some claim. Bad alignments and rain will do a lot more damage than an e-bike. For the most part I think the complaints are from the elitist cycling crowd and they’re scared to get their fragile egos crushed by a weekend warrior rocking a dad body.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
raisingarizona wrote
Unless they catch you in the act I doubt a sheriff is gonna do dookie. Cops have real crimes to worry about.
Maybe city police do, but a Sheriff is a bit different.  The county pays them for stuff like this.  The people that went through all the proper legal channels to build these trails are tax payers who expect the rules to be obeyed.

It happened with cyclists riding illegally.  It'll happen with them.  But so far, I think the signs have been enough of a deterrent as I have never seen one off the back of a car.  And yes, I've seen them pull in, see the signs, and then leave.
1 ... 43444546474849 ... 59