This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

Adk Jeff
As Gore passholders, we've never started our season at WF.  But looking at the available terrain at the two mountains, (300' vert at Gore, 2400' at WF) we decided to head up on Sunday.  The rain held off for most of the day and the skiing was excellent - soft snow and excellent coverage, uncrowded.  8 gondi laps.  I think we would have had to ride the Sunway double something like 60 times for the equivalent vert at Gore.  Is that even possible to do in a day?
I've got a short TR and a few pics  on my blog.

Hopefully a return to cold weather this week will allow Gore and WF to be in decent condition for this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
^
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Good news (great news, really):  the state will spend $12 million to fund badly needed repairs to the WF auto road:
State To Fix Whiteface Highway

Bad news: they plowed the road yesterday so the Gov could drive to the top.

Apparently Blazer had one hell of a time detaching Cuomo's frozen hand from the plaque.

Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
once the gov learned of Noah's bike accident - the money started flowing!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John

Damn straight.  He was mortified when he got the news.

I was pretty psyched to hear this news this morning.  That road is sort of embarrassing.  I worry how long a fix might last though.  That road may well experience the worst conditions of any in the State.  Can they build it so it is more resistant to freeze/thaw cycles and less susceptible to frost heaves?  Any civil engineering types out there?  Anyone?  Bueller?
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Checked WF conditions sometime this morning and saw Gondi and Face Lift were both windhold...
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Adk Jeff wrote
Checked WF conditions sometime this morning and saw Gondi and Face Lift were both windhold...
Not for long
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Gondi spun yesterday.  it was on hold for a little bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I'll probably be up to WF once or twice in the next week or two.  Any recent skis-on-snow reports from anyone?  Where will the snowmaking crew be moving to next, Mtn Run / Wilderness?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
getting better everyday.  

Guns started pounding on Mtn Run Sunday.  WF should (and would 4sure if Thursday wasn't so warm) have Mtn Run from mid drop on Little WF chair open this weekend.  

Essex and Victoria are ripping great.  

Approach/thruway are next.

Will be a great end of week and weekend ski on our beloved.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Thanks for the update SJ.  If the stars align I'll ski WF next Weds and possibly Sat or Sun of the following weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
A lot of Fun this morning Essex and Excelsior fast and firm Mountain Run and Thruway Powder Fest!  runout of Thruway left a bit to be desired
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Once thruway and drapers are done its TO THE TOP!!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
best day of the young season in my opinion. Bluebird skies till early afternoon and beautiful man made powder, it was awesome
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Skied WF on Weds.  Probably the best conditions and most terrain I've seen at WF this early in the season.  This weekend should be great regardless of whether Saturday night's storm materializes or fizzes out. Pic below is RonKon in the Mountain Run / Thruway powderfest:

TR and some more photos here.
Will probably make another run up to the Face before Christmas.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
I don't click on links that take me to another blog when this forum has a place where the material could be posted (ie:  Trip Reports).  Maybe it's me, but it seems like poor form to put links on one guy's blog in order to direct traffic to your own blog.  It's a little like bringing your own food into a restaurant, no?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
I don't click on links that take me to another blog when this forum has a place where the material could be posted (ie:  Trip Reports).  Maybe it's me, but it seems like poor form to put links on one guy's blog in order to direct traffic to your own blog.  It's a little like bringing your own food into a restaurant, no?
So don’t click the link.  It’s there if you want more. If you don’t, I won’t be offended.  Honest.  Furthermore, since I won’t accrue any financial benefit if you do click the link, it really isn’t like bringing my own food into a restaurant.  In fact, it’s just the opposite.  Links add depth and value to a forum like this.  I can’t imagine an internet forum being very useful or interesting without links.  So, to use your restaurant analogy, by posting a link it’s really more like I’m enhancing Harv’s product.  You’ll recall that Harvey does accrue a financial benefit from page views.  If all I ever post on this forum becomes just one-liner links back to my own blog, then you’ll know I’m just here to siphon traffic.

I have no interest in posting my material directly on this forum/blog, nor do I expect you’d have much interest in seeing it.  I’ll continue to let you know – by posting a link – if there’s something I think you might be interested in.  People have their own blogs for all sorts of reasons, but I suspect the other forum members with their own blogs have a similar view.  Unsurprisingly, those same forum members are among the best contributors here.  

On an unrelated note, I see you’ve dropped the "I don't think his Dad hits him enough" from your signature.  What happened?
12345 ... 17