classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
772 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 39
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

Hoser
If you want less skier per square "insert unit of measurement here" go to WF - intent to ski
If you want the excitement of a WC event much more than attempting to ski a WROD or 2 with the masses - K

Ski or watch.  Its that simple next weekend.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
If you're not interested in the World Cup, and I'm not, you should ski anywhere but Killington next weekend.

If you are interested in the World Cup, then by all means go, and get in on the action, but expect it to be very crowded and do not plan on doing much skiing.

Keep in mind that all the parking at K1 will be blocked off, so unless they open Ramshead (which is unlikely as they're not even top to bottom yet) you will have to take the shuttle bus with thousands of WC spectators to get to KBL.  Also, all the hotels will be filled with the race teams, media, etc, so you have to either have a house in the area or do a day trip.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
See the K site for the "101" on parking and shuttles.  They'll be fine.  Hotels are available in Rutland for $100 a night.  Or $70 a night if booked when announced last year (w/ a proper cancelation policy).  Plan ahead.....saves so much $$$.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Skiing starts next Friday.  WHOOP WHOOP
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Guns are on now, according to their Facebook.
Reply | Threaded
|

DanM
Wonder if they will open T-giving day like they did last year.....  Looks like they will have the snow w/ cold temps for snowmaking and a head start with the current snowfall.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They're saying Friday, but I wouldn't rule out an opening on Thursday if they are ready to go.

Across the pond, Stowe and Okemo open Wednesday, and Stratton and Mount Snow open Thursday.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by DanM
DanM wrote
Wonder if they will open T-giving day like they did last year.....
I believe they opened on Thanksgiving last year because there was a group in town.  In other words, a special occasion.

I doubt that most areas would open Thanksgiving.  I don't know how many people would want to work and they would have to pay overtime.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
I just hope this wind hasn't blow all the snow off the mountain
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
If Jay Peak reports a fresh foot of snow 24 hours after the storm, yep its WF snow.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Just got an email from management

Whiteface is on for Turkey Day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Would you say there's any chance of them opening terrain in addition to Excelsior-Valley-Fox by Sunday?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Hard to say.  Not sure how much they got up high.  I just got back from LP and it is still nuking snow in LP and the Notch. I could not believe how much snow is on the golf course that I just played two days ago.

They usually bring Essex on line by that first weekend and also Broadway so they can open a park.  If there really is a good amount of natural I could see Boreen as well.  Lower Northway is very rocky and has opened fairly early but is kind of sketchy.  After that in the order comes Victoria but that is usually the 2nd weekend.  if they don't have to blow Valley it could be possible but I doubt it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm trying to decide whether to go to Gore or Whiteface on Sunday.

Gore got less than a foot, so I don't think they'll have more than 1 trail open by Sunday.

Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Just got an email from management

Whiteface is on for Turkey Day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ADE reports today that WF is not open on Tday http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2016/11/whiteface-opens-friday-officials-optimistic-about-season-with-early-snow/
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

playoneontv
ADE reports that Friday is a go.  Some interview with Aaron and also some improvements description:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2016/11/whiteface-opens-friday-officials-optimistic-about-season-with-early-snow/
Reply | Threaded
|

playoneontv
DOH! Apologies for the repeat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
The governor seems to agree with coach.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Brownski
I get the feeling I was not supposed to break that news as they were waiting for the Gov to get his press.

I am hearing some talk that the start on Thursday could be a bit delayed as they are going to have to groom in the morning and patrol will need time to put up what ever popsicle sticks etc. is needed to make everything safe.  I'm planning on having an extra cup of coffee.  Everyone chill and we all will have a good time before having some Turkey.

My usual that first day is to get in somewhere around 10 to 15k of vert - 4 to 6 Gondi rides to brake in my legs gently.  Will get to ski with my son before he heads to Copper Mt for two and a half weeks of training on Friday.
1 ... 567891011 ... 39