772 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 39
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

Spongeworthy
Coach Z wrote
I get the feeling I was not supposed to break that news as they were waiting for the Gov to get his press.

I think you're 100% correct. King Andrew has been making the official announcement for quite a while now.
Time to go into hiding
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
its official first Gondi load is at 10 am

my guess is that there will be some kind of hoo ha with the press going on as well
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

DanM
50 minute ride to and from WF.... Wife says to be home by 2pm.... Ski from 10am to 1:10 pm...  What can possibly go wrong???  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
 Keep us informed.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
its official first Gondi load is at 10 am

my guess is that there will be some kind of hoo ha with the press going on as well
Incorrect.  Report showing open only to top of Facelift.  Any reason why?  If they don't get the gondola up by Sunday, then I'm 100% going to Gore that day.

My guess is that they needed two full days to do all the grooming necessary to open, and that required only getting up to Facelift for tomorrow, since they hadn't planned on being open originally.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Talked to someone who skinned up today.  Said snow was really nice on the lower section but was really chunky up high.  Must have an ice layer that will need to be groomed multiple times to make it decent.

We are not even to day one yet so it's a little early to start panicking Sno.  Gore will be way more crowded on the WROD.  WF dishes out great skiing but you need to tough out some nasty moments that are going to make you a better skier.  This is NOT MC.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Makes sense to me.  They figured crowds would be minimal on opening day, so no need to rush to open the top.

Looks like a thaw next week, so hopefully they suffer minimal damage and start an aggressive terrain expansion soon after.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Coach Z wrote
  WF dishes out great skiing but you need to tough out some nasty moments that are going to make you a better skier.  
I'm sorry, are we talking about a ski resort in the northeast or the north face of the Eiger?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach Z wrote
Talked to someone who skinned up today.  Said snow was really nice on the lower section but was really chunky up high.  Must have an ice layer that will need to be groomed multiple times to make it decent.

We are not even to day one yet so it's a little early to start panicking Sno.  Gore will be way more crowded on the WROD.  WF dishes out great skiing but you need to tough out some nasty moments that are going to make you a better skier.  This is NOT MC.
What exactly do you mean by "nasty moments"?
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Coach Z wrote
  Gore will be way more crowded on the WROD.
How the fuck do you know what Gore has? You certainly didn't drag your fat ass up to see it!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Report now showing gondola open.  That's good to know.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Conditions pretty good, Gondi running and fairly light crowd.Happy Thanksgiving!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm guessing Friday and Saturday will be more crowded, but Sunday may be pretty empty by the afternoon as people go home from the weekend.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions - opening day

Z
pretty good conditions

Turn 1 and 2 a little sketchy but that is pretty much the norm.  other wise good.  Don't get out too wide is my other advise.  Gondi and mixing Bowl running.  No real crowds.  Mostly just pass holders skiing today.  Got 5 gondi runs in 12.5k Vert then had to get home so my son could pack.  He is heading with Jimbo and Nysef to Copper Mt for two and a half weeks.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Looking good!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
Pea soup today.  But nice snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Good skiing today.  Excelsior-Valley-Fox open and Gondola, Facelift, and Mixing Bowl spinning.  No real like at the gondola, although the trail is a little crowded at times..

Conditions vary from the top to the bottom.  They blew snow on Excelsior last night and some is very soft, but you have to be careful of ice patches.  Upper Valley is loose granular.  Lower Valley and Fox are a combination of frozen granular and wet snow, from where the snowguns were running wet.

Snowmaking appears to have commenced on Essex, Lower Northway, and Victoria.  Only a few spot guns at thin spots on open terrain.

I kind of wish they had LWF spinning as I think the upper mountain is skiing better, but that doesn't open till there's snow on Mountain Run.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Some pics from today.

Top of LWF

Just below midstation

Tower 10 hill

Thin spot near the bottom (that is now being covered with snowmaking)

Looking up on gondola

Looking back on gondola
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Thanks for the pics 'loco, looking good...hopefully it holds up this week i'll be there Friday.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They're planning to operate daily at this point.  There will be skiing on Friday, but I'm not sure about the quality.  I talked to one of the mountain hosts yesterday and he said that Thursday night was back to snowmaking temps, but I'm not sure how much work they'll get done on the lower mountain.  The upper mountain should be fine.

I'm not going to tell anyone not to go skiing, but Friday might not be the best quality day you've had.  The lower mountain will likely be sketchy, and there will be snowmaking in progress on open trails if it can possibly be done.  I'll be skiing both the 3rd and 4th, so hopefully things will be better by then.
1 ... 6789101112 ... 39