classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1st day on a new ski

Z
That first day on a new ski for me is always something to look forward to.  Sometimes its a learning process as you have to learn the ski. Other times its love at 1st turn.  I typically get a new ski every year so I've had the gambit of experiences.   I've had some skis in the past where I never really made that connection with the ski - either it was not want I expected or bought the wrong size.  Some people say that a ski is alway going to be the best that first day but I really beleive in tuning and I don't really agree with that thought.  

Please share your 1st experiences on new skis.

My 1st day yesterday on my new Elan Rip Sticks.  I had demoed these at the PSIA Masters Academy back in December so I knew exactly what I was getting.  The ski is their skier cross race ski - Elan took their GS race ski and soften it up a bit.  It Rips on hard snow - despite the cold I found myself skiing at Mach speed and the edge hold was great.  What suprised me was how good it was in the bumps on Mac.  Great ski - I love it.  It is exactly what I was looking for a hard snow ripper that is verstile and can ski bumps.  Disclaimer - I am the pro rep for Elan for Whiteface but I am not paid by them and do not score free gear.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1st day on a new ski

ml242
I love all the new Elan's. Very well built skis that are difficult to beat for the price. I demoed the Elan Himalaya last year in Keene and thought it was incredibly intuitive and effortless. And $599 in season. Just, wow. I hadn't been on any of the newer models until a demo day at Mammoth a few years ago and I took out the 888 and 666. Very nice skis. Those were very damp compared to the Himalaya, they loved to go fast, and they were fun in a totally different way.

I bought a pair of new skis this year as well, but have only taken them out for about 8 runs, Praxis MVP's that are really more of a pow ski at 115mm wide, and we just haven't had those days. Plus, they're mounted with Dynafits and I don't love riding the lifts with those for scratchy 50mph groomers.

At least I got the love at first turn experience. I was arcing huge turns and finding the fresh on the sides on Mt. Ellen - which has 2650' vert - in one top to bottom run. Rim Run -> Elbow (great trail) -> Which Way -> runout. I seriously felt like Darren Rahlves, strong and awesome.

I only by new skis every few years so it's incredibly frustrating when they don't perform properly or as expected because I hate feeling like I wasted the cash and opportunity. I do buy a lot of used and tune them up because I like to try new things, and I just flip them endlessly.

It's pretty rare that I am meh about a ski and then have it grow on me, but it does happen. One such was the Scott Mission, another easy driving ski that I finally said I liked because I didn't have to work it so hard, and that was fine. I kind of miss it, actually.

FYI I am not sponsored by Praxis but I love their skis and wish I was. I know TBatt didn't enjoy the MVP as much as I do. He probably should have gone full carbon :)
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Went from Dynastar 8000 to Line Prophet 98..I have been suffering like a bastard..Just can't seem to dial in..
I even took a few tumbles..not good
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
How long were they? What are they like compared to the SLX I bought from you? I'm totally loving those skis. Great ice skates. Just wish I had lighter bindings on them.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Went from Dynastar 8000 to Line Prophet 98..I have been suffering like a bastard..Just can't seem to dial in..
I even took a few tumbles..not good
what about them is giving you issue? my sultan 85's will soon need replacing and the p98's, blizzard bones, and nordica h&b's are on the short list...
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i seem to be getting on the downhill outside to much..can't find the sweet spot..i'm sure it's me and not the skis..
i need to get up to whiteface and get evaluated by Coach
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
I had the Line Prophet (I think). It was the real popular one with an Asian looking landscape topsheet.  I got the one with metal in it, it was too stiff.  Ended up selling it.  I have the Nordica H&B.  Awesome ski, just bought it too long.  It's a 178 and I am 5'10" and 160 lbs.  I would be happy to sell you the H&B cheap.  In fact, I just had it fully tuned this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
telerider wrote
I had the Line Prophet (I think). It was the real popular one with an Asian looking landscape topsheet.  I got the one with metal in it, it was too stiff.  Ended up selling it.  I have the Nordica H&B.  Awesome ski, just bought it too long.  It's a 178 and I am 5'10" and 160 lbs.  I would be happy to sell you the H&B cheap.  In fact, I just had it fully tuned this weekend.
hmmm, I would think that would be your size with the early rise/rocker? although I don't have any idea how tele plays into ski sizing. luv to take  'em off your hands but I'd be looking for 185's at 6'/215# skiing alpine
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
The Prophets are very, very stiff. You have to actively ski them or they will ski you. Outlaw has a pair and he says they actually hurt his legs. I love them, but it took me a day or two to adjust my style.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I demoed the Lines when I was out west last year. They are fun skis in soft snow but I'm a big guy and they seemed pretty beefy.  

This might be a somewhat hot issue but I personally think that owning a 98mm underfoot ski in the East is only ok if you have a quiver.  I loooked up the 8000 and that is 79mm underfoot.  Jumping to 98mm is a huge jump so I'm not that suprised you are having issues.  That width is just too wide for everyday eastern skiing.  You lose the ability to leverage the edge without having to make more extreme movements to tip the skis when they are that wide.  Its a great 2nd or 3rd ski but IMO its not a everyday ski.  I have a 100mm ski for my powder and spring ski and it is outstanding at that.

I know I'm going to hear someone come back with a comment that I ski on a 108mm (or whatever) waist ski and I didn't have to change a thing to how I ski or how the ski performs but that is just not possible - its a matter of physics and physics is what it is no matter who is driving the ski.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
How long were they? What are they like compared to the SLX I bought from you? I'm totally loving those skis. Great ice skates. Just wish I had lighter bindings on them.
These are a GS ski that has been softened up to be a cross ski.  I went with 176cm length vs the 170cm SL you got from me Benny. This has a much bigger radius 17.8m vs what ever that SL ski was maybe 12M. Lately I'm finding that I prefer a larger radius than I used to when I was younger.  Maybe I'm too lazy as I get older to make all them short turns.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by telerider
telerider wrote
.  I have the Nordica H&B.  Awesome ski, just bought it too long.  It's a 178 and I am 5'10" and 160 lbs. .
i have the h&b in 169 ,17radius, they rock
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i'm a small guy  5'9 160ish
i will give them a few more days , if it doesn't work out so be it..they will be come my spring ski /powder
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
This might be a somewhat hot issue but I personally think that owning a 98mm underfoot ski in the East is only ok if you have a quiver.  I loooked up the 8000 and that is 79mm underfoot.  Jumping to 98mm is a huge jump so I'm not that suprised you are having issues.  That width is just too wide for everyday eastern skiing.
I'm a former quiver skier AND a former 8000 skier, this just isn't the case any more. My one ski quiver is 95mm underfoot and I no longer bring three skis everywhere I go, just one. I don't feel much compromise. If it is frozen hard pack, yea that race/cheater ski is going to be the best tool for the job. Otherwise, high 90s underfoot is not too wide for everyday eastern skiing. It is about the design of the ski, not the width.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I don't miss my Prophet 90s (179), 100(186), or Jak's (same ski as the 90, 186 as well with a flat tail).

The newer ski shapes are all more fun and leave me with more energy at the end of the day. Width has very little to do with it, but ride whatever makes you happiest.

Ok, I guess I miss the Jak's a bit. I just flexed them, they really are more stiff than I remembered.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
 Otherwise, high 90s underfoot is not too wide for everyday eastern skiing. It is about the design of the ski, not the width.
I agree 100%

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Coach Z wrote

Maybe I'm too lazy as I get older to make all them short turns.

Well, it's not only ice, but Saturdays I have to deal with. A lot of quick decisions linked together.

Still haven't done the ultimate test - Hunter on a Saturday well after a storm.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
Gorgonzola, I am not sure which H&B you are actually interested in?  I forgot that Hell and Back is their 'series'.  My ski is the Steadfast, 90mm under foot.  It skis big, though not at all stiff.  Very progressive.  The early rise is a bit of a misnomer. It is very slight, which is nice because it turns easy but feels very traditional.  Not sure what you're looking to do with the ski, but for bumps, woods and just banging, the 178 would be perfect in alpine IMO.  I personally like to ski everything shorter now and my Streadfasts are almost always the tallest ski on the rack.  Let me know...
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
telerider wrote
Gorgonzola, I am not sure which H&B you are actually interested in?  I forgot that Hell and Back is their 'series'.  My ski is the Steadfast, 90mm under foot.  It skis big, though not at all stiff.  Very progressive.  The early rise is a bit of a misnomer. It is very slight, which is nice because it turns easy but feels very traditional.  Not sure what you're looking to do with the ski, but for bumps, woods and just banging, the 178 would be perfect in alpine IMO.  I personally like to ski everything shorter now and my Streadfasts are almost always the tallest ski on the rack.  Let me know...
yea if I was going with the steadfast I'd probably stick with the 178's. I've had metal in my skis for the last 10 years or so (with the exception of a pair of twin tips with carbon sheets when the kids were small) and need all the help I can get to keep up now so am a little leary on giving it up just yet
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Coach Z wrote
I demoed the Lines when I was out west last year. They are fun skis in soft snow but I'm a big guy and they seemed pretty beefy.  

This might be a somewhat hot issue but I personally think that owning a 98mm underfoot ski in the East is only ok if you have a quiver. That width is just too wide for everyday eastern skiing.  You lose the ability to leverage the edge without having to make more extreme movements to tip the skis when they are that wide.  Its a great 2nd or 3rd ski but IMO its not a everyday ski.  

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"