classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A new USFST member needs your help

chanwmr
This post was updated on .
I apologize if this post is deemed inappropriate in these forums. Admins/mods, please feel free to remove this at your discretion.

My 18-yo daughter, Si Ning Chan (formerly a USSA racer from Greek Peak, and born and raised in Greater Binghamton), was named to the national team this spring as a freestyle aerialist. She is trying to rally help to launch off this new stage of her career. Please watch the video and consider contributing to this fund. Any amount helps and we appreciate it if you share this elsewhere. Thanks for your generous support.

https://ussa.rallyme.com/rallies/1075/siningchan
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A new USFST member needs your help

Harvey
Administrator
I think it's cool and I'm moving it to The Woodstove. Here's the video:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

GPPartner
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by chanwmr
I am amp'd to think that Si Ning Chan made the National Arial Team and started her career at little old Greek Peak.  It is a tremendous achievement for not only Greek Peak, but to all the kids in any USSA Race program, that hard work and passion pay off.

Please help support Si Ning Chan by following this link and help her achieve her dream and who knows the next athlete we support could be yours.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Done!!

I too think it's awesome the skiers/riders/atheletes that little ol Greek Peak puts out. I know we've had some incredible racers who've made the US Ski Team, instuctors who've gone on to be examiners.....the list goes on and on.

CNY and GP rock

Go get em Si Ning Chan, show em what you got.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I just watched the video:

"I will do my best to make your contribution count. No matter the future result I promise to make you proud."

Killer.

Anyone know about the summer training in the pool... do they put a bubbler in the pool to maybe reduce surface tension and make the landing "softer?"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
Anyone know about the summer training in the pool... do they put a bubbler in the pool to maybe reduce surface tension and make the landing "softer?"
They do in LP
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
The fact that athletes have to pay their own way is embarrassing. I wonder what the CEO makes?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
skimore wrote
The fact that athletes have to pay their own way is embarrassing. I wonder what the CEO makes?
EXCELLENT point!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
That is a HUGE can of worms....don't go there it will make any political discussion thread on here look like bambi.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
US Ski and Snowboarding Foundation Compensation of Leaders for year ending 2012
                             Comp  from foundation     Comp from affiliates
Bill Marolt, CEO               $109,345                              $505,655
Andrew Judelson, CMO    $134,287                              $402,861

Total contributions 2012      $7,030,764

Link
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by skimore
Don't know what the new guy makes, but the old guy doesn't seem like he was hurting for cash:

"In both 2010 and 2009, Marolt received a $250,000 bonus from USSA and its affiliate organizations. In the last fiscal year, however–which ended April 30, 2010–his base pay decreased from $309,947 to $269,258, while his benefits and nontaxable compensation increased from $92,000 to $98,553...

...If Marolt meets the objectives, then he is rewarded with a sizeable bonus. For the 2010 fiscal year, the goals were to run a budget surplus, and to achieve particular performances at the Olympic Games. Since Marolt accomplished both – thanks in part to the success of the American nordic combined team – he was awarded the $250,000...

...USSA pays four other employees over $100,000. They are led by Chief Financial Officer Mark Lampe, who receives $112,077 from USSA and $131,596 from related organizations. Others include Vice President of Events Calum Clarke, Controller Chris Sampson, and Vice President of Marketing Edward Morris..."

Source: http://fasterskier.com/article/tax-docs-ussa-chief-got-five-percent-pay-cut-in-2010/

Seems like the $250,000 bonuses could go a long way towards funding a bunch of young kids with dreams, but I guess the money is better spent on a 70-year old who is probably already worth a couple mill.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
mattchuck2 wrote
"In both 2010 and 2009, Marolt received a $250,000 bonus from USSA and its affiliate organizations. In the last fiscal year, however–which ended April 30, 2010–his base pay decreased from $309,947 to $269,258, while his benefits and nontaxable compensation increased from $92,000 to $98,553...
Great work if you can get it.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by GPPartner
GPPartner wrote
I am amp'd to think that Si Ning Chan made the National Arial Team and started her career at little old Greek Peak.  It is a tremendous achievement for not only Greek Peak, but to all the kids in any USSA Race program, that hard work and passion pay off.

Please help support Si Ning Chan by following this link and help her achieve her dream and who knows the next athlete we support could be yours.

As a mom of a teenager, I think it's really great that Si Ning is not only training full time in Park City, but also doing college work at Westminster at night.  Regardless of whether she makes it to the 2018 Olympics or not, she's a great role model for kids like my daughter.  We drive through central NY on the way to Lake Placid pretty regularly, which adds another level of connection.

Had quite an impressive season 2013-14.  From Si Ning's USAA Rally page:

"This past season was my second one competing as a freestyle aerialist. It was also my first season competing in the entire NorAm tour. Last winter, I pulled off three NorAm wins, the NorAm Grand Prix Title, a 4th place finish at Junior Worlds, and a silver medal at the US National Championships. To top all that, I earned a spot to compete in my very first World Cup in Lake Placid, NY where I came in 17th out of 34 of the best women in the world. As a result of this whirlwind of a season, I am currently ranked 3rd in the nation."
Reply | Threaded
|

chanwmr
You guys (and gals) are awesome! Si Ning and I really appreciate your support -- every little bit!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

chanwmr
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
That is exactly what the bubblers do! It's quite a set up underneath the water. With that said, even with the bubbles, landing wrong still hurts, quite a bit. Concussions are not out of the question. And, they can only train for so many days in a row before the body gives out. Believe it or not, landing on snow is far softer and it's much less harsh on the back and shins.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
chanwmr wrote
You guys (and gals) are awesome! Si Ning and I really appreciate your support -- every little bit!!!

I recieved a very nice email from Si Ning thanking me for a donation ---- that's a good kid you have there!

Bumping back to the top
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Precisely. Same way kayakers can drop 40 ft waterfalls and people who think they're good swimmers can easily drown in whitewater. It's aerated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bump: A new USFST member needs your help

chanwmr
Hope everyone is having a good start of the season in the Northeast despite the crazy swing of weather.

I am bumping this thread (spam if you see fit) because the said fundraiser is closing in 2 weeks. We're making a last plea for support through these forums. Si Ning and I do not intend to run another campaign until IF and when she makes the future Olympics.

Again, any amount is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Please follow her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SiNingChanAerialist
Thanks, Wai (one who lurks but rarely posts)

chanwmr wrote
I apologize if this post is deemed inappropriate in these forums. Admins/mods, please feel free to remove this at your discretion.

My 18-yo daughter, Si Ning Chan (formerly a USSA racer from Greek Peak, and born and raised in Greater Binghamton), was named to the national team this spring as a freestyle aerialist. She is trying to rally help to launch off this new stage of her career. Please watch the video and consider contributing to this fund. Any amount helps and we appreciate it if you share this elsewhere. Thanks for your generous support.

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
I just wanted to chime in here and add that I have known chanwmr for quite a long time, ski with him frequently at Greek Peak (and occasionally out of town if we get the chance), and have met and skied a little with both of his daughters.

Si Ning is not only a great athlete, but she's a very nice, humble, personable young lady.

I know she and chanwmr are very grateful for the support. Plus Si Ning is driven to succeed and fearless on skis, so you can be sure you're backing a winner!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sad news, it looks like Si Ning was banged up pretty bad in a "rough landing" in Switzerland.  Not sure what actually happened or what the prognosis is, any one with info please share.

https://www.facebook.com/SiNingChanAerialist

Best to you Si Ning.