Snowballs
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ADK Avalanche Warning issued

tBatt
This post was updated on .
Condor and a few others wanted to ski the slides at Snowy on Sunday.. I told them if the storm hits right they probably shouldn't because of avalanches.

They should head over to avalanche pass
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Snowballs
im suprised it took this long to issue a warning . there is no base and several feet of fluff snow .thats a recipe for disaster.if you want to ski backcountry stick to the trails and trees
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
In reply to this post by Snowballs
This is an annual DEC warning.  Just use common sense and some snow pack knowledge.  If you're going BC skiing, you should be aware of the hazards once the snow depths builds.

DEC Issues Yearly Avalanche Warning
Reply | Threaded
|

lingerlonger
Banned User
Michaeltokyo wrote
This is an annual DEC warning.  Just use common sense and some snow pack knowledge.  If you're going BC skiing, you should be aware of the hazards once the snow depths builds.
This.  If you actually read the bulletin you'll see it's very generalized - just meant to make people aware that they're in a place where avalanches can occur if the conditions are right; NOT that the conditions are necessarily right for avalanches.  They issue this every year after the first big storm.

fujative wrote
Condor and a few others wanted to ski the slides at Snowy on Sunday.. I told them if the storm hits right they probably shouldn't because of avalanche's.
What?  Do you know anything about avalanche science?  I didn't think so.  Do your buddies a favor and just keep your mouth shut next time.  If they listened to you then you may well have ruined what could have been a great ski.  (Although probably not.  Before Sunday's storm, the windslab up high was 4-6" thick.  Avy danger wasn't particularly high but the skiing sucked balls.)

fujative wrote

If you're trying to imply that Avalanche Pass is prone to snow avalanches and should be avoided because it just snowed a lot then you really have no idea what you're talking about.  None.  The trail that runs through it is one of the most heavily travelled in the high peaks region.  I'm sure they close it if the slide at the top is particularly suspect but they definitely do not close it just because it snowed a lot.

I skied a slide yesterday in the High Peaks.  We dug a pit, etc.; the snowpack was bomber and we heard or saw nothing move either on the way up or down.  

Why is it that people who know the least are usually one of the first to sound off in forums like this?  You told your buddies not to ski a slide because it might snow a lot?  Really, that's what you did?  Wow.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
lingerlonger wrote
Michaeltokyo wrote
This.  If you actually read the bulletin you'll see it's very generalized - just meant to make people aware that they're in a place where avalanches can occur if the conditions are right; NOT that the conditions are necessarily right for avalanches.  They issue this every year after the first big storm.

fujative wrote
Condor and a few others wanted to ski the slides at Snowy on Sunday.. I told them if the storm hits right they probably shouldn't because of avalanche's.
What?  Do you know anything about avalanche science?  I didn't think so.  Do your buddies a favor and just keep your mouth shut next time.  If they listened to you then you may well have ruined what could have been a great ski.  (Although probably not.  Before Sunday's storm, the windslab up high was 4-6" thick.  Avy danger wasn't particularly high but the skiing sucked balls.)

fujative wrote

If you're trying to imply that Avalanche Pass is prone to snow avalanches and should be avoided because it just snowed a lot then you really have no idea what you're talking about.  None.  The trail that runs through it is one of the most heavily travelled in the high peaks region.  I'm sure they close it if the slide at the top is particularly suspect but they definitely do not close it just because it snowed a lot.

I skied a slide yesterday in the High Peaks.  We dug a pit, etc.; the snowpack was bomber and we heard or saw nothing move either on the way up or down.  

Why is it that people who know the least are usually one of the first to sound off in forums like this?  You told your buddies not to ski a slide because it might snow a lot?  Really, that's what you did?  Wow.
relax dude........i guess you can't figure out his comments were kind of tongue in cheek
Reply | Threaded
|

lingerlonger
Banned User
I think you mean tongue IN cheek.

And no they weren't.  There is nothing in that post to suggest that he was only kidding.  He REALLY told a group of people not to ski a slide because it might snow a lot and he REALLY thinks that avalanche pass is not safe after it snows a lot.  If you see any indicia of facetiousness in that post please point it out.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
maybe the rolling eyes emoticon
Reply | Threaded
|

lingerlonger
Banned User
Right.  That meant that he thought heading over to avalanche pass would be a stupid idea because it's so prone to avalanches.  That's why after he suggested it he rolled his eyes.  Are just trying to protect this guy or are you really this dense?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
lingerlonger wrote
Right.  That meant that he thought heading over to avalanche pass would be a stupid idea because it's so prone to avalanches.  That's why after he suggested it he rolled his eyes.  Are just trying to protect this guy or are you really this dense?
Did he actually state that? I guess you somehow know. Please tell us oh swammi

Or possibly just use the phrase in reference to the bulletin
Reply | Threaded
|

lingerlonger
Banned User
skimore wrote
lingerlonger wrote
Did he actually state that? I guess you somehow know. Please tell us oh swammi

Or possibly just use the phrase in reference to the bulletin
Avalanche Pass isn't a "phrase", it's a place.  A very well known place.  

Listen, you're either stupid or trying to pick a fight; either way you're a waste of time.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by skimore
and is it really so bad that he created a little awareness with his buddies?

On thursday my buddy set off something that went to the ground about 50ft wide about 100ft long. I had some similiar on Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

lingerlonger
Banned User
Where did you and your buddy rip something out to the ground?  What was that, like a 4-5 foot crown?  Really?  Where'd that happen?

Make up your mind - was he just saying it tongue in cheek or not.  You seem to want it both ways.

And he didn't create "a little awareness" - he told them not to do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
lingerlonger wrote
Where did you and your buddy rip something out to the ground?  What was that, like a 4-5 foot crown?  Really?  Where'd that happen?

Make up your mind - was he just saying it tongue in cheek or not.  You seem to want it both ways.

the comment was "shouldn't"

and the tongue in cheek comment appeared jokingly about skiing a place called avalanche instead
Reply | Threaded
|

lingerlonger
Banned User
Whatever.  I can't do this "Dance of the Imbeciles" with you right now.  Whatever it is you're saying I'm sure you're right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Burgermeister
In reply to this post by tBatt
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

lingerlonger
Banned User
I don't disagree with that.  They should all have beacons, probes and shovels, know how to use them, and at least one person in the party should know some avy science and have field experience.  But that's not how I read his post.  I took it at face value:  If it snows a lot you shouldn't ski slides.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
lingerlonger wrote
My "little awareness" was that the possibility for an avalanche was real. I told them to find out about the snowpack to see if it would be safe. I told them not to after the warning was posted.

lingerlonger wrote
I don't disagree with that.  They should all have beacons, probes and shovels, know how to use them, and at least one person in the party should know some avy science and have field experience.  But that's not how I read his post.  I took it at face value:  If it snows a lot you shouldn't ski slides.  
By "hits right" I didn't necessarily mean snow a lot. I don't know a whole lot about avy danger, but I was (and still am) under the impression that a bunch of wet heavy shit on top of some fluff won't adhere well.

I've only been to the avalanche pass area once, and it was not in the winter. I assumed the name "avalanche pass" might imply that the area is prone to avalanches - possibly  more prone to one when DEC posts an avalanche warning.

Would you send four 17 and 18 year olds onto some slides with no shovel, no probe, no beacon, and no snow science experience whatsoever after a fresh dump? They look at it and say yum steep and deep, lets go skiing. Throw their skis and boots on their back and snowshoe up. These are the Adirondacks here... they aren't steep enough and don't get enough snow for avalanches**.

**this is a sarcastic statement.

Reply | Threaded
|

Burgermeister
In reply to this post by lingerlonger
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by lingerlonger
lingerlonger wrote
Michaeltokyo wrote

fujative wrote

fujative wrote

Care to share any photos of your day instead of spewing a bunch of garbage about a misinterpreted post? Hard to believe that post could get someone that worked up