AP Style Guide Change

99 messages Options
1234 ... 10
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

AP Style Guide Change

Interesting change in the AP's most recent style guide for writers:

"We have reviewed our entry on global warming as part of our efforts to continually update the Stylebook to reflect language usage and accuracy.

We are adding a brief description of those who don’t accept climate science or dispute the world is warming from man-made forces:

Our guidance is to use climate change doubters or those who reject mainstream climate science and to avoid the use of skeptics or deniers."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
riverc0il riverc0il
Reply |

Re: AP Style Guide Change

There was a really good segment on the radio show On the Media about this a few weeks ago. Bob Garfield really roasted the AP guy on this one. Worth a listen for a thorough review of the issue if it interests you:

http://www.onthemedia.org/story/those-who-reject-mainstream-climate-science/
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Well that was interesting. More of a discussion of language and semantics that climate science.  And probably for most not worth 8 minutes of their life.

I thought the original statement was odd because "doubter"  seems to have a very different implication (to me anyway) than "those who reject mainstream climate science."

I guess I get it now, but man what a language wonk.

I like the one line...

"Well than what do you call the people do don't believe cigarettes cause cancer?"

"The tobacco industry."

Thanks for the link.
riverc0il riverc0il
Reply |

Harvey wrote
And probably for most not worth 8 minutes of their life.
Blasphemy. OTM is the one of the best media productions available today. Every minute of that show is worth it every week. Even those minutes devoted to debating semantics. Maybe even especially those devoted to semantics.

As I recall, the issue was sparked by those in the skeptic community which challenges viewpoints and beliefs that are not backed up by documented facts. So suggesting those denying climate science/change were "skeptics" attributed them the benefit of scientific opinion, which of course they do not have. Whereas the word "deniers" connotates those that refuse to accept proven fact, e.g. Holocaust Deniers, 9/11 Deniers, Moon Landing Deniers, etc. If I remember right, Garfield let the AP guy have it for not using denier and instead using that long dumb string of words they settled on.

Semantics in the media is an extremely important topic. It informs the way people perceive issues and the word even if people don't understand the semantics being employed. Better yet, ESPECIALLY if people don't understand the semantics being employed. Gaining awareness of the semantical issues at play in the media is crucial to better understanding the topics and the ways they are being discussed.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Hey I'm Mr. ADD and I listened to the whole thing.

Semantics: I have plans, my enemies have schemes. It's Fox/MSNBC crap.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

In reply to this post by riverc0il
I'm skeptical that any of this matters one bit.

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and I think people are smart enough to see through any stupid euphemisms for anything.

Like, did anyone believe that "enhanced interrogation techniques" didn't just mean "torture"?
Z Z
Reply |

More proof of the strong liberal bais of mass media today.  I don't understand how they can say they are journalist  any more as they only present one side of issues and the sheep that are the majority of thier viewers blindly take it as gospel truth becuase it was on tv or the newspaper.  

Schools are not interested in teaching kids to think for themselves.  They instead indoctrinate them to liberal talking points and the media can then use that to further brainwash them as adults.  This is THE vast left wing conspiracy with union teachers and liberal media as its main tools.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
nepa nepa
Reply |

Coach Z wrote
More proof of the strong liberal bais of mass media today.
I thinking calling mass media biased is just plain dumb.   Of course it's biased... both Liberally, and Conservatively.  Last time I checked, Fox News was considered part of the mass media.  Obviously, when Fox reports, they report with a Conservative bias.    The Conservative version of the "Kool-Aid" is no better than anyone else's version of the "Kool-Aid"  It's all Kool-Aid... It's all divisive.  It's all some form of shit (Bull, Horse, Ape, Dog, Cat, Bird, etc)

Anyway you look at it, mass media is just like everything else... it's all about money.  They market their message to you.  Your outlet of choice crafts the message the way you like to hear it... biased towards your values and views.  If you want to hear a soothing lullaby, you listen to NPR.  If you want to hear sensationalized bullshit you watch Fox, CNN, or MSNBC.  If you want to read alternative lunacy you go to Vice.

It's all bullshit to me.  The message is completely corrupted by the leaders of the corporation that produces it.  We're not getting facts... we're getting opinions influenced by corporate dollars... declared as facts.

Herman & Chomsky said it best in Manufacturing Consent.  You should read it.  It's an eye opening account of how mass media really works.  It really has nothing to do with facts or an unbiased message.

Z Z
Reply |

I wholeheartedly agree though there is only one Conservative voice Fox while every other media so called news Channel outlet is left of center in order of propaganda as I see it abc, cbs, NBC pbs cnn   MSNBC

The problem is the sheep don't understand they are getting a highly slanted political world view.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Thacheronix Thacheronix
Reply |

Sheep are on both sides
1234 ... 10