Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adk BC Meet Up: Feb 6 and 7 2016

MC2 5678F589
This post was updated on .
MikeK wrote
gorgonzola wrote
nyskiblog tele clinic with a focus on bcXcd skilz! sign me up!
Man if somebody starts a class like that, I'd sign up.  There's always a zillion things to learn, and not just tele... just freeheeln'!
There is a class like that:
https://m.facebook.com/AdirondackAdventureSports/albums/10151255917950728/

But if you don't want to take the class through SUNY-Adirondack, we can arrange a NYSkiBlog meetup day at Avalanche pass or on the Raymond Brook trail or something and I can go over some technique stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ferris Lake Wilderness: 1/9/16

MikeK
Banned User
mattchuck2 wrote
There is a class like that:
https://m.facebook.com/AdirondackAdventureSports/albums/10151255917950728/

But if you don't want to take the class through SUNY-Adirondack, we can arrange a NYSkiBlog meetup day at Avalanche pass or on the Raymond Brook trail or something and I can go over some technique stuff.
Whoa that's an awesome offer!  What part of AP would you use for that?  Just curious due to traffic.  RB sounds like it would be ideal but I've never skied it so I don't know how well it would work out for practice.

Is the SUNY class more geared toward slide skiing?

And hey, what about Snow Ridge?  Would they let you teach a group there?  A bunch of floppin' XCD tele dweebs?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
MikeK wrote
Whoa that's an awesome offer!  What part of AP would you use for that?  Just curious due to traffic.  RB sounds like it would be ideal but I've never skied it so I don't know how well it would work out for practice.

Is the SUNY class more geared toward slide skiing?

And hey, what about Snow Ridge?  Would they let you teach a group there?  A bunch of floppin' XCD tele dweebs?
I'd probably use that ski slope by the ADK Loj (near heart lake) to work on turns, then move on to Avalanche pass to practice in the woods.

SUNY class starts slow and then moves on to bigger and more complicated stuff. The Slide pictured is one of the later trips. This year, if we can work it out, the class might lead to a PSIA level I telemark certification.

Not sure about Snow Ridge, usually mountains aren't happy about non-instructors teaching on their terrain. Won't be anyone there on Mondays or Tuesdays, though. Long drive for me, unfortunately.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Yeah I didn't think they'd like that... and Monday and Tuesdays no good for me unless it's during February school break but my wife is out of town then... and I think she needs to attend.  She keeps talking about tele turns.

For that class when do you need to sign up and when/where are the classes?  I might ski a slide if I could rent gear from Mountaineer... I ain't doin' it with my leather boots!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
then move on to Avalanche pass to practice in the woods.
What's your waiver going to look like for teaching adk tree skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
skimore wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
then move on to Avalanche pass to practice in the woods.
What's your waiver going to look like for teaching adk tree skiing
Lol. Let's say just say if we do a XCD NYSkiBlog meetup that I'm just a guy meeting up with some people to ski in the woods, not an official instructor. I make no guarantees of safety, security, or sobriety.

That SUNY Adirondack class is legitimate, costs money, taught by my friend Clint, and they provide fishscaled skis and plastic boots.

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
mattchuck2 wrote
that would be awesome -I'd be down with one either of those, would you be thinking weekend or weekday?
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
If you guys do this - and I think it'd be cool if you did - consider using the Whale's Tale Notch trail rather than Avi Pass.  Way less traffic, shorter approach, less total vert but you'll have plenty of time for multiple laps, nice variety of terrain for working on woods turns.  If the meet-up happens, I'd be interested in coming along.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
I vote for Whales Tail too... no SS traffic.

My vote is for a weekend if it were to happen, and preferably not Feb 13-14 or 20-21.  If you guys choose another time, it wasn't meant to be...

We may be free any day of the week, last week in March if there is any snowpack left.

Either location works for me.  MC, please let me know what your beer(s) of choice are.  I have a wide variety within easy access:  http://www.mybeersoftheworld.com/

That class looks like fun but I'm confused.  There is an online option but Monday 9-4 at the same time the other class is scheduled at the Queensbury campus.

4+ hrs drive for me.  I'd rather do an online option for lecture and meet up for the adventures.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Adk Jeff wrote
If you guys do this - and I think it'd be cool if you did - consider using the Whale's Tale Notch trail rather than Avi Pass.  Way less traffic, shorter approach, less total vert but you'll have plenty of time for multiple laps, nice variety of terrain for working on woods turns.  If the meet-up happens, I'd be interested in coming along.
Good point. Views aren't as awesome, but that works.

MikeK wrote
My vote is for a weekend if it were to happen, and preferably not Feb 13-14 or 20-21.  If you guys choose another time, it wasn't meant to be...We may be free any day of the week, last week in March if there is any snowpack left.

Either location works for me.  MC, please let me know what your beer(s) of choice are.  I have a wide variety within easy access:  http://www.mybeersoftheworld.com/

That class looks like fun but I'm confused.  There is an online option but Monday 9-4 at the same time the other class is scheduled at the Queensbury campus.4  hrs drive for me.  I'd rather do an online option for lecture and meet up for the adventures.
The ACC class is every Monday this semester, going to different BC ski areas in the ADKs. Not really something that can be taken from afar.

I think the easiest for me would be to meet at the North Creek Ski Bowl, mess around there for a little bit working on technique, then all pile into a car for a shuttle up to the Raymond Brook trail. That should be good for a lot of people. What do you guys think about February 7th?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
7th works for me if there is enough snow.

If that is the case does anyone want to ski Botheration Pond Loop on the 6th?  That would be my plan...
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
MikeK wrote
gorgonzola wrote
nyskiblog tele clinic with a focus on bcXcd skilz! sign me up!
Man if somebody starts a class like that, I'd sign up.  There's always a zillion things to learn, and not just tele... just freeheeln'!
Tele turns are just but an option.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Raymond Brook doesn't take that long... you could probably link in The Vly or Botheration without an insanely early start.  Welcome to the neighborhood.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Harvey wrote
Raymond Brook doesn't take that long... you could probably link in The Vly or Botheration without an insanely early start.  Welcome to the neighborhood.
Think you'll be around with the Atomics?

I'd rather do Botheration by itself.  I like to take my time on a nice tour (plus I have to because my wife is slow), then go back to the hotel, jump in the hot tub and take a nap before dinner ;)

If RB is that quick, I'd petition for another loop.  I'm sure it takes a while if you climb up yourself though ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Adk BC Meet Up

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Man I hate breaking out threads. Such a PITA, and I suck at it.

You can probably do two laps as I think the town runs the shuttle 2x a day on Saturday.

It's my goal to be in the Adk every weekend I can. I would go every weekend if possible.  If it seems like I can't make it maybe I can leave the Atomics with the GHL ski shop the week before or something like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
If RB is that quick, I'd petition for another loop.  I'm sure it takes a while if you climb up yourself though ;)
There's always the Rabbit Pond trail, or we could go over to Snowy, or we could extend the tour by starting at Garnet Hill and skiing Halfway Brook. Lots of options.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Man I hate breaking out threads. Such a PITA.
Sorry
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
Tele turns are just but an option.
Yeah. The best option.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Not your fault Matt, that is what conversation is. I just stink at it.

The guy at FTO (Tony Crocker) is amazing at it.  

If everyone actually hits reply to the "right" person it should be easy, but I don't do that, so I can't expect you guys to do it.

Seems like this is a cool idea developing so I wanted to break it out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
mattchuck2 wrote
MikeK wrote
There's always the Rabbit Pond trail, or we could go over to Snowy, or we could extend the tour by starting at Garnet Hill and skiing Halfway Brook. Lots of options.
I am a big fan of Halfway Brook. If you string the mine in, the are some fun options for getting down to the HB trail. We used to go up onto the top of the mountain and hang out waiting for GHL sports to ski beneath on the trail, and we'd howl like wolves, then listen to the stories in the ski shop.

Botheration is cool too. Maybe not as scenic but longer. And it feels pretty remote.