classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adv/Expert (Slides) Litmus Test?

MC2 5678F589
Coach Z wrote
Guys don't take lessons because they can ski expert terrain well but can they do it efficiently so that they can do it all day?  That is a key difference between an advanced and expert skier in my book.
Completely agree with this and have had similar experiences with people hop turning to glory all morning, then being knocked out by lunch.

I took up rock climbing a couple of years ago, and my muscles were fried after one or two trips up the wall. As I got more into it, I realized I could save my energy by being more efficient. Same thing with skiing (or yoga, or swimming, or whatever).

And yes, a lot of instructors aren't skiing bell to bell. Some of that is conditioning, some of it is inefficiency, but some of that is that ski instructing is tiring. You're using your body and your brain and sometimes you're hauling a bunch of kids over your mountain's various flat spots (for us Gore skiers). Just keeping up a conversation with an eight year old about Despicable Me or Frozen is exhausting. I don't know how you parents do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
mattchuck2 wrote
Just keeping up a conversation with an eight year old about Despicable Me or Frozen is exhausting. I don't know how you parents do it.
It's a little easier when they're your own offspring.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
The slides were awesome today! Especially 4! Landing on 2b was soft and everything skiers left was deep. The Gulley in 4 was soft packed powder and no jump turns.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I could never be a ski instructor. I love to ski too much!!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I remembered Slide 4 as my favorite. But then my mind has a way of deleting the unpleasant. Maybe I remember the bottom being a pain.

Coach was right. My first time was April 2011:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Whiteface-NY-4-9-11-The-Slides-td2800926.html
Was the base better than average when we skied it that day? With exception of one tight bulge that required a jump or picking your way very briefly... it just reminded me of the type of trees I ski all the time... super tight soft woods in a narrow corridor. Some comments on here make me wonder if I just skied it on a really good day compared to average?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
2011 was the best Slides year since 2001
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by riverc0il
I don't know?

I'm sitting here thinking I must be crazy?  I thought we rocked Slide 4. Maybe it was 3.

Slide 3

I remember it was hot and the flat drop-in point was slushy going in to 4...

Highpeaksdrifter dropping in to Slide 4

Bottom of Slide 4

I'm sure the bottom was too tight for pics.  I think that ^^ was the last pic on that run.

The times I've been in the slides the snow has been excellent. Thin cover in spots for sure, but the snow that was there was prime.

When I looks down Slide 1 I see a way line that looks easier for me to ski on teles than the neighboring groomer...

I assumed that the reason they weren't open consistently was that Patrol wanted good and "safe" conditions.  When I skied there my experience backed that up.  That day above might be in my top five.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
That darn making a living thing got in the way of me getting in the slides this week

Think they will still be good to go this weekend?

Dug out my pack shovel probe and peeps
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by Skidds

"Hmmm...Jump turns.  Whad'ya think of them, Marge?"

"Well I don't know, Homer.  Sounds like Air-Carve to me."

All the best.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I must be in Florida since I read this whole thread...I like slide 4 the best (haven't been to 5+ yet) and it is killing me reading how great it was(they all were) this week. In my mind I am an expert.  However, I don't care if my turns are called jump turns or perfect carves or whatever but I ski to have fun! I have taken many lessons in my life and I do encourage folks to take them because they are helpful...but I ski alone or with a certain winged animal so I can ski what "I" enjoy.  I like steep technical lines but if I have to "just get down it" it probably wasn't that much fun and  won't ski it again.  I taught for one season many moons ago and realized I am way too selfish when it comes to skiing.  Judge me all you want but I ski for me.  I do want to take an avy safety course which will make me buy the equipment needed to hit the slides on a Silver day, under the Tram at Big Sky, off piste at Mt. Baker, etc...now I just need a buddy to go with with

We need the upcoming midweek storm to jog a bit west...for ME
Summer still sucks but I did have fun at the beach yesterday
Hey Ike, I think I am in the market for a SUP or 2...I'm hooked
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Now suds, you sound like a true expert. Get that avi gear, take the course and hope you never have to use it.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

freshyslayer
come on scotty i know you jump turn in 4. you have to get the freshies
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
freshyslayer wrote
come on scotty i know you jump turn in 4. you have to get the freshies
I was just looking through the Slides Guide and came across this written about 3:

An aggressive jump turn left will then clear a blind section and put you directly in the fall line. You’re going to accelerate but have faith because you’ll have enough room to stomp turns and dump speed before approaching the first of three rock shelves. Don’t blow up here or you can easily yard sale. Whatever you do, be aware that experienced skiers and riders will be coming in “hot” so don’t clog up this narrow zone for any longer than necessary.

The coming in hot part gives away which author wrote this review.  
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I didn't write that for sure.  'Twas Scotty I'd think
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
these look great. would love to try them. if you are looking for a ski partner in  
the next few weeks let me know. can ski them almost any day. by the look of them
it should probably be sunny and in the 40's. thanks