classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
89 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice for a Slides First Timer

snoloco
ml242 wrote
You were a few rows ahead of me judging by the picture you got that day. Nice work btw.
I was first chair!!
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
ml242 wrote
Sno, you're doing fine and I'm sure you can ski the slides. But I also think you'd be surprised as to what a beast of a season you'd have if you started jogging 2-3 times a week 9/1.
+1

This is very true, but for a teenager it is likely something that may not be heard.  You might be thinking 'I'm a good skier, and can ski any trail in any condition, so I don't need that'.  You wouldn't be entirely wrong in that thinking, because one can develop good skills, become a decent skier, and have fun even if not particularly fit.

This is one case where you could very much benefit from the experience of the older guys.  Trust us, your fun skiing could be so much more enjoyable at a higher fitness level.  Sure, without the boundless energy of youth this becomes more true as you get older, but it holds for a teenager as well.

Take the Slides for instance, and maybe that can be a motivation for you.  Even though the Slides are sidecountry or slackcountry, ml's backcountry comment applies.  The Slides will kick your ass.  I'm very fit, but I'm always drenched in sweat after a trip down the Slides. Skiing the Slides is hard work.  Yes, with a lower fitness level you can ski them and have fun, but a higher fitness level will allow you to have a lot more fun.  It will allow you to stomp lines and features that you couldn't tackle if you weren't as strong or as fit.  It's not like I'm looking to huck every cliff I see, or tackle the biggest drops.  But cliffs, ledges, waterfalls.....those are the things that make the Slides so interesting IMHO, and so much fun.  You simply are going to be better able to maintain your balance skiing over the 3 or 4 foot ledge drop in your line, or stick the landing on a 6 foot cliff drop (and there are bigger to be tackled) if you have better core strength and fitness.  And then there is the powder, which is a lot of fun but extremely tiring to ski.  The Slides are a unique experience one doesn't get often, and when I have the chance it's nice to be able to go hard from 10 to 2 and lap them half a dozen times.  You simply aren't going to be able to do that unless you are very fit.  

From a personal perspective, I've upped my fitness level quite a bit over the past 5 years, and as a result I enjoy skiing so much more than I used to.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Skidds wrote
  And then there is the powder, which is a lot of fun but extremely tiring to ski.  
Then you're doing it wrong
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Ah...yeah, sure.  Powder shouldn't be a struggle or more difficult, but anyone who says it isn't more tiring than skiing groomers is a liar who isn't impressing anyone with their false bravado.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Skidds wrote
Ah...yeah, sure.  Powder shouldn't be a struggle or more difficult, but anyone who says it isn't more tiring than skiing groomers is a liar who isn't impressing anyone with their false bravado.
you stated extremely
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
ml242 wrote
You were a few rows ahead of me judging by the picture you got that day. Nice work btw.
I was first chair!!

I saw the picture both published and while it was being taken. What a day! Can't get here soon enough.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Skidds wrote
you stated extremely
Yes, for snoloco's benefit.  For anyone who isn't in good shape skiing powder will be extremely tiring, especially if they've never skied powder before.  

I agree, for a fit skier who knows what they are doing, extremely would be a strong word.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Kid you are 14 or so now if you want ski at a high level when you are 30, 40, 50+ you need to work out.  You simply will not be able to ski well when you are older if not reasonably fit.  Skiing is a life long sport unlike most others.  Powder is the ultimate skiing experience but if you are over weight with no core strength it will be very tiring.   Skidds is right one lap in the slides is doable but how are you going to make 3 or more laps without some fitness.  My personal record in a day is 6 laps but I'm sure Scotty and others in even better shape have done 8.

I'm not a light guy and never have been but I have always been a good athlete.  I let myself get too fat last season and skied like crap IMO.  I committed to mt biking this past summer lost 20 lbs gained muscle and skied better than I have in many years.  Trust me being fat sucks for your skiing.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
Snoloco you are on the righteous path of skiing zen.  With your attitude and zeal you are looking at a good long life enjoying the beauty and bliss that skiing brings.  The only challenge you will be facing in this sport is finding a woman that shares the dedication and passion that you have.  And speaking of women, there a lot of women that are better skiers than anyone on this blog that don't have the strength and power that everyone is talking about.  Yes, proper strength; but rhythm, grace, and most importantly balance!  It's key to all sports.  The transition from upper to lower, core to limb.  Employ what linebackers in the NFL use to up there game.  That which builds killer core a strong back, develops profound balance, improves flexibility like nothing else, and is constantly targeting those ever critical hip-flexors . . . . YOGA!
If you aren't sweating after a session, you aren't doing it right.

And while being fat suck for your skiing, being fat sucks period when you get old.  Just sayin
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
Sometimes I swear snoloco is the spawn of gss - very scary
bwhahahahaha
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Skidds
Skidds wrote

Call me a liar then

I'll take pow and my Patrons anyday.....just float, float, floating along
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
 Trust me being fat sucks for your skiing.

Second nomination for best one liner thread!  HAHAHAHAH!  Awesome!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Then you're doing it wrong

TWSS!  TWSS!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
campgottagopee wrote
gorgonzola wrote
Sometimes I swear snoloco is the spawn of gss - very scary
bwhahahahaha

that be cool but he's way too smart.  However that boy needs to do some damn push-ups!  Chicks dig men who do push-ups bro!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
liar!  300 pounders do not float float float  bahahahahaaaaaaaaaa 
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
liar!  300 pounders do not float float float  bahahahahaaaaaaaaaa 

I float like terd in the bowl baby!!
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Snoloco, Being young has its advantages.  You probably are able to ski everything you want with no problems and see no need for actively working out to get in shape. I was the same way, even was on the HS race team and hated doing dryland training in the fall. Didn't see the point, I just wanted to ski running etc just plain sucked.  

That al changed when I went to college in CO.  Living at altitude was a rude wake up and skiing at 12-13,000' was a shock, I thought I was in pretty good shape. Of course I could still ski all the terrain and loved it but would have to stop and wheeze on the side of the trail after a thousand vert or so.

Long story short, I started running/jogging at 5600' and it wasn't a lot of fun but I got into it eventually and it really paid dividends on the slopes. That was over 30 yrs ago and I have never looked back. I gave up the jogging long ago in favor of hiking, biking in the off months and in the winter I get in about 30 days of downhill and at least that many Cross Country(fabulous workout) and also have a couple different AT set ups which is the best of all worlds(for me anyway). Get a killer uphill workout and then usually first tracks in fresh Pow if lucky or great corn in the spring for the ride down.

I was at WF Easter Sunday and I noticed you skiing but didn't have any idea who you were or I would have said Hi. Nice T-Shirt by the way. I may sound like an Old Fart but with age comes experiences you can't even imagine as a young buck. Being in shape will allow you to ski at a high level for a long long time.  I still ski the same stuff at the same level I did 20 or 30 yrs ago(newer shaped skiis etc have also helped) and hope to for many yrs to come.  So even if you don't buy into all the advice on this blog and start enjoying excersice for the sake of getting in shape maybe someday you will, like I did.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
endoftheline wrote
I was at WF Easter Sunday and I noticed you skiing but didn't have any idea who you were or I would have said Hi. Nice T-Shirt by the way.
Where did you see me?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
My grand daughter is 13, she hiked all of the 46 High peaks by age 11, she thinks nothing of slapping on a 30 lb back pack and camping in Panther Gorge with her old grand dad. She has hicked & skied gun sight and eddies (Alta) and poped the cornice on High boy and skied it top to bottom in 16" of glorious powder. She could kick your ass (as she regularly does mine) all 98 lbs of her. During the summer months she cycles, swims and rows when she isn't hiking. This time of year she is rowing on the River every day after school for 2 hours after she has run a mile and a half. She keeps herself in top shape to ski in top condition. After her feet are done growing she will get a full BC rig and I'll teach her what skiing is really all about. I expect she will be lapping Tucks while I am sucking wind. I only wish our trip there this year didn't fall apart due to bad weather.

As internet smart as you are kid, you've got a lot to learn.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by snoloco
Snoloco,  Saw you at the Top of Skyward.  Didn't realize it was you until I saw your picture on this blog, the T-Shirt caugt my eye.