Alterra interested in Jay, VR is not

36 messages Options
marznc marznc
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Alterra interested in Jay, VR is not

Sounds like Alterra is considering the possibility of buying Jay.  Vail Resorts hasn't visited.  A few other companies have visited  in 2019, including Pacific Group.  VT Digger found news tidbits in meeting minutes of a Zoning Board meeting not directly related to a potential sale.

https://vtdigger.org/2019/09/05/vail-showing-no-interest-but-competitors-eye-jay-peak-as-sale-process-presses-on/

What's better . . . adding Jay to Ikon or having Jay as an independent?
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Re: Alterra interested in Jay, VR is not

What's better is whatever option allows Jay to continue to kick ass. It'd be nice if Burke got some (winter) love, too.

I'd also like for whatever company buys Jay to keep the management in place, especially friend of NYSkiBlog Steve W.
Sick Bird Rider Sick Bird Rider
Reply |

^ What he said.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
marznc marznc
Reply |

From what I can tell, Alterra, Pacific Group, and Snow Operating are the three companies with the most experience owning and/or operating a ski resort.  FoSun is a major company based in China that bought ClubMed in 2010.  AWH is actually Spire Hospitality, which handles hotels.

Spire owns High Peaks and the Lake House in Lake Placid.  Based on their experience in Lake Placid, they bought Top Notch at Stowe in Jan 2019.  I wonder if Alterra and AWH are working together.  AWH became interested in Top Notch after VR bought Stowe.  Top Notch is halfway between the Stowe's town center and the base of the lifts.

https://www.spirehotels.com/news/2019/01/31/awh-partners-purchases-renowned,-100-acre-topnotch-resort-and-spa-in-stowe,-vermont/

Snow Operating could well be working with any of the other companies as a consultant.  They have their hands full operating Mountain Creek and getting Big SNOW started at American Dream.
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

marznc wrote
Snow Operating could well be working with any of the other companies as a consultant.  They have their hands full operating Mountain Creek and getting Big SNOW started at American Dream.
Mountain Creek and an indoor snow center (if it ever gets completed) are so very different than Jay Peak...in every way from a business perspective and a skiing perspective.
marznc marznc
Reply |

Marcski wrote
marznc wrote
Mountain Creek and an indoor snow center (if it ever gets completed) are so very different than Jay Peak...in every way from a business perspective and a skiing perspective.
The primary business of Snow Operating as a consulting company is focused on beginners or first-time guests who are renting gear.  They've been working with a wide range of ski areas/resorts from tiny Cataloochee to destination resorts like Killington or Aspen.  I would expect them to have more than enough experience to help evaluate how the ski school flow currently works at Jay.

I haven't been to Jay, but the remoteness of the location reminds me of Snowshoe in WV.  Snowshoe was one of Snow Operating's first clients.

Do most of the people skiing Jay stay on resort for 3+ days?  Or is there a large percentage who do day trips on weekends?
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

No idea how to measure most.  But Jay is a day ski for Montreal, Burlington and surrounding environs right?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Sick Bird Rider Sick Bird Rider
Reply |

Harvey wrote
No idea how to measure most.  But Jay is a day ski for Montreal, Burlington and surrounding environs right?
Sure is. Jay is a 1.5 hour drive from Montreal (population 1.78 million in 2017) and many Montrealers have homes in the NEK for the express purpose of skiing at Jay. The Burlington crown would get a little more spread out between Stowe, Smuggs and less likely at Jay.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
marznc marznc
Reply |

Sick Bird Rider wrote
Harvey wrote
Sure is. Jay is a 1.5 hour drive from Montreal (population 1.78 million in 2017) and many Montrealers have homes in the NEK for the express purpose of skiing at Jay. The Burlington crown would get a little more spread out between Stowe, Smuggs and less likely at Jay.
With Tremblant already on Ikon, adding Jay would certainly seem to be a good way to entice more Montreal folks to buy Ikon instead of a local Tremblant season pass.  Full Epic includes RCR mountains in Canada and W-B, so can be tempting for eastern Canadians who don't want to travel in the U.S.

When my daughter and I did a college Admissions visit at UVM last year, there was plenty of talk about buses to the nearby mountains for skiing but Jay wasn't mentioned.

Has the weak Canadian dollar made any difference in the number of Canadians in Lake Placid or Jay?  I haven't been up in Lake Placid during the winter for a few years.
riverc0il riverc0il
Reply |

marznc wrote
When my daughter and I did a college Admissions visit at UVM last year, there was plenty of talk about buses to the nearby mountains for skiing but Jay wasn't mentioned.
That isn't too surprising. Bolton has night skiing and a park, Smuggs is the closest big mountain, Stowe has the most variety, and the Mad River valley is only an hour away. Jay is further from Burlington than all of those areas and is one of the worst mountains around for your typical intermediate average skier. I talk to a lot more Montrealers than UVM students while riding the lifts. I'm doubtful that a Jay purchaser would give much consideration to Burlington. It is a big city as far as Vermont goes but not a metro area. Montreal has 4M people in its greater metro area, much of it less than two hours away from Jay.