Annual Question - Why Doesn't Gore Have a Webcam?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
99 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Annual Question - Why Doesn't Gore Have a Webcam?

Spongeworthy
Harvey wrote
Spongeworthy wrote
apocryphal
I had to look it up.  
HA HA! Just a fancy word for BS!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Who cares about looking at people on the hill. A webcam pointed at a snowboard, one of those giant rulers or some other object is telling. Much more so than the conditions report Gore posts
I like them. For instance, with Plattekill's I can tell if it's snowing at 1am because there's a light on for that purpose.

Works for me, because I know that Laz isn't necessarily going to get the new report posted at 6am when I'd want to leave. Or, at 6am, you might want to know whether it switched over to rain before heading out... easy to do when you realize if the snow has fallen off of the trees next to the triple.

Sometimes more is more, Skimore. Honestly, I think the question for you is why on earth wouldn't you want a webcam? It's unbiased real-time information to make decisions with and it costs the mountain virtually nothing. Everything else is secondary to that.

Anyway, I was just kidding about the WF hand me down.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
ml242 wrote
skimore wrote
Who cares about looking at people on the hill. A webcam pointed at a snowboard, one of those giant rulers or some other object is telling. Much more so than the conditions report Gore posts
I like them. For instance, with Plattekill's I can tell if it's snowing at 1am because there's a light on for that purpose.

Works for me, because I know that Laz isn't necessarily going to get the new report posted at 6am when I'd want to leave. Or, at 6am, you might want to know whether it switched over to rain before heading out... easy to do when you realize if the snow has fallen off of the trees next to the triple.

Sometimes more is more, Skimore. Honestly, I think the question for you is why on earth wouldn't you want a webcam? It's unbiased real-time information to make decisions with and it costs the mountain virtually nothing. Everything else is secondary to that.

Anyway, I was just kidding about the WF hand me down.
That came off wrong then. I completely agree with everything you said. I was just commenting about who gives a crap about being able to look at people. Put the webcam in where you can tell what's going on snow wise

The WF one you get to look at icicles
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think the WF cam is where it is because there is electricity and a web connection there.

It's basically at the "base" for most of us and even when it's pointed at the roof you can see if water is dripping off the shingles or snow is building up.  I use it a lot. If it's raining at the WF midstation, it's probably raining at a lot of mountains in NY. That cam at the WF summit is cool, but in a storm is often obscured.

I also like the Plattecam. The light is very helpful.

It's my guess that most people who post on ski forum in Sept probably looks at webcam during winter storms, regardless of how crappy the image is.

Spongeworthy wrote
Harvey wrote
Spongeworthy wrote
apocryphal
I had to look it up.  
HA HA! Just a fancy word for BS!
A fancy word for widely accepted BS!  Very cool.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
I really like the MRG webcam, come to think of it that whole website is very well done
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
My little ski area does this. . . .

Every morning before Kissing Bridge opens they post a facebook picture of the AM slope report from someones iphone. (I do recall that updated slope reports are thorn in the side for one or two people on this site)  Just an old fashioned piece of paper with checkmarks next to the open slopes.  Old school meets the digital age.  

Some employee ALSO walks ALL the way out to the front of the lodge to the base lift with their iphone and films a short video of the hills and slopes.  Usually with some pithy commentary in the background like, "another great day to call in sick and spend the day out here at KB!"  Then they post that to facebook also.

On a good day one of the employees goes for a ski at lunch and shoots a quick vid from up top.  And then posts it.
NOOOO start up costs, modems, PC's and almost no effort by the staff.  And who really needs a webcam for the 16 hours of night winter brings.

With all of the patrol out there couldn't they take turns posting one 10 second video a day?
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
I voted yes. More data points the better
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
In reply to this post by Harvey

I think the WF cam is where it is because there is electricity and a web connection there.

Power grid and cables?  That's so 20th century.  It's all lithium and wifi now!  :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Wait, what? Electricity?? People, it's 2014. I check web cams all the time on top of 13,000 ft. mountains scattered around the western world. I mean, power? There a slab of concrete under the gondola exit at Gore which is heated all winter long by electricity (I'm pretty sure it's electricity). Good lord. Just splice into that wire or something.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Within the next few weeks we're going to look more seriously at the possibility of putting a cam at HQ.  Skimore has some real expertise in this area, and is going to help determine cost and if we have the bandwidth and type of IP connection to either have a streaming cam, or one that produces stills on a regular schedule.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
You know once you do it and its getting more hits than the gore website they are going to take it from you....or maybe they will turn the entire website over to you guys and let you run it.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
This post was updated on .
Gore Management:  -I know you are reading this.    

Don't worry,debate or ponder why tigers have stripes....Just accept they do.    

The public wants a webcam.  Don't be parental; give it to them.    Especially when the cost is minor.    

You don't have to go crazy.    Start small.  Place the camera(s) in well protected, easily accessible spots.   Let the bitching be about the quality or quanity of the cameras, not the fact that you can't or won't listen to what the public wants.  

Assuming you continue to be tone deaf:

Our mountain employees a public affairs bro who takes "First Tracks" with a Go-Pro.    That video is then uploaded within 10 minutes of opening.     Tell me why Gore can't do this for basically free.   Any instructor, ski patrol, or Gore employee could be told taking a free run is part of their job.     Take the run once patrol opens a trail but before the official start of the day.   You'll get volunteers!   Or---better yet, offer the "opportunity" to do it as a reward, like a good parking spot.       But there I go again, thinking out of the box.   Management mostly advises they do, should or want employees to come up with postive ideas, but you really just want status quo. Change requires work.   Rather continue spending your time making excuses and allowing weak subordinates to blow smoke up your butt in true "yes" man leadership style, the way auto and potato chip advertisers make fun of.        

Honestly, it's embarassing when I try to get friends to come to Gore....."the website sucks"       Sorry---right or wrong, your customers are stuck to their phones and computers.    Tigers have stripes, stop pretending they don't.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I wonder if the people on this list care
http://www.orda.org/corporate/pdf/notes/ORDA%20Board%20Member%20Informations%202013.pdf
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote
 Management mostly advises they do, should or want employees to come up with postive ideas, but you really just want status quo. Change requires work.   Rather continue spending your time making excuses and allowing weak subordinates to blow smoke up your butt in true "yes" man leadership style, the way auto and potato chip advertisers make fun of.        
Ain't that the truth. Where I work, trying to help out actually causes one trouble. They give instructions at meetings, then the employee speaks up to implement them and boom, hassle. It just doesn't pay to try to help out constructively.

They go on and on about compliance and the regulators are coming ! so point out issues and you get screwed. Trying to help repeatedly gets you labeled.

My point of view is people are basically dumb asses. You can't fix stupid.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I really surprised Gore doesn't have a webcam....it is 2014 isn't it??

We even have one at Greek  -  just sayin. Living where I do I don't use it, but I know a lot of people do.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Dude, you once posted that skiing fresh, cut up powder was "not that fun, really".   You may want to lay off calling other people "dumb asses".

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Noah John wrote
Snowballs wrote
Dude, you once posted that skiing fresh, cut up powder was "not that fun, really".   You may want to lay off calling other people "dumb asses".
HAHAHAHA! Instant verification !!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!

Powder is dry snow Einstien. That snow was very wet !!!!

Whoop !! Whoop!! Whoopin dummies for years now.

Hehehehe. L M F A O !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
"Instant verification" of what? That doesn't even make any sense.

The 2/5 storm this year wasn't "wet".  In fact we had refreshingly few truly "wet" storms in NNY last season and the 2/5 storm was nice.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Zippy
I'm mostly a cross country skier who likes cameras and pictures so I voted yes. The snow is often better than you think, it could help get skiers to come.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Noah John
Twas wet here NJ. Powder ? Not even close to powder.

Anyway, my post earlier here went over the top. I apologize to you and would like to say I'm sorry.