BC Ski Help

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

BC Ski Help

Goreskimom
I am looking to buy a BC ski for an expert skier. Where should I look and how much will I need to spend to get something decent, not top of the line, nor bottom of the barrel? Thanks in advance.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: BC Ski Help

BRLKED
What kind of BC, touring or turning? 3 pin or NNN?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
Well, you certainly will get some good advice here.  However, you are going to have to give everyone just a little more to go on!

Not only are there a ton of skis that are appropriate for BC skiing.....there are few different types of BC skiing.  Knowing how the skis will be used will determine what the best recommendations are.

For some, BC skiing is primarily the touring, with some downhill involved.  For others BC skiing is more about the downhill, the touring being just a means to get remote slopes, chutes, and couloirs.  Each of those types of BC skiing will be best served by a different type of ski...and binding...and boot.

So, what kind of boots and bindings will be used with the ski, and what kind of skiing will they be used for?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Goreskidad, Goreskison, Goreskidaugher... or...?

Definitely need to know the "definition of BC."

Not as much fun on Christmas Day, but may make sense to bring the expert in on this.  Definitely don't mount any bindings or take skis from the shrink rap until he/she has seen the purchase.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by BRLKED
Telli or AT?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Significantly more information is required! Is this an XC ski, a light touring ski, tele ski, alpine touring ski, downhill ski with crossover binding?

If it is AT, get whatever ski that best matches the conditions typically skied. No need to get a "BC" specific ski. I'd recommend something without metal. But unless you are a weight weenie, I'd go for downhill performance over weight (save weight with the bindings, again this recommendation assuming AT use and will differ for XC, light touring, tele, etc!).
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
What kind of mileage do you anticipate using it for and when? after deep snow? for a lap at the mountain while on wind hold or three day traverses of the whites?
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I'm a telli guy, this question definitely begs for more information. The OP doesn't know the bag of worms opened.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
SkiMomma- Ed is right, you've cracked medusa's box -- get ready!

I didn't know what I was getting myself into either, here's a link from last year on the topic.  We did lose a great wealth of XCD knowledge and especially when MikeK was banned (seems as it was by choice).

Before he folded he did take a lot of time for some serious knowledgeable posts in this thread:
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Touring-Set-Up-td4066474.html
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.