94 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Banner! Banner!!

Harvey
Administrator
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Too bad that my two favorite NYS ski areas, Bobcat and Hickory, have both gone to that great lift shack in the sky.
I thought about something like that, but it seemed too sad.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

ScottSki is often one of the two guys in shots shralping midweek pow or post season corn in the Cats.

Not sure this might be Hunter or Belle, but one of the best ski dog shots ever:

Three more guesses anyone else and I will come clean.
That IS a great shot! That pup is having the time of his life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I'll give a go.

You're favorite Skimaker from the Cats who set up shop in VT?

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Peetex the site is super aggressive caching images.  I was having the same issue on mobile until I cleared my cache. I just cleared the SITE cache, LMK if that does it, if not then (please) you try to clear your phone's browser cache and tell me if that helps?
That seems to have fixed it
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
Full credit on 1 and 2.

There is truth to your answer on 3 but it is not the factor driving the decision.

No favorites James!
Ok so Scottski is the skier and ML is the photag and Plunge is your happy place but that’s not why you chose that pic. It’s certainly a deep day. Is it from WS Riley? One of the other big days from recent years?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Brownski wrote
Ok so Scottski is the skier and ML is the photag and Plunge is your happy place but that’s not why you chose that pic. It’s certainly a deep day. Is it from WS Riley? One of the other big days from recent years?
I seem to recall that a few years back Harv had a Platty powder day on his birthday. My memory may be wrong but try that as a guess.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .

You guys are thinking way too personally.

NYSB is for New York Skiers.  It's not intended to be exclusively about NY.

Still, with that said NY skiing has a big impact on who NY skier's are, and who they become.

In New York, we don't get the snow that they do in Vermont.  Vermont ski bloggers (fb really), especially those based in NoVT, tend to focus on the deep snow, faceshots and relentless powder skiing that often is the best and most logical story to tell.

In New York, of course, we love the pow too.  We drive to Vermont to get it, and we snag it when it comes our way.  To me it seems that we NY skiers are also looking hard for cracks in the space and time continuum that allow us to snag some magic.

For example in this blog post ML, tBatt are doing just that.

I was there, it was fun and memorable, and I had to battle to make it for first chair.

first chair to spin in NY, October 2011

I'm not sure even when exactly ML's shot was taken to tell the truth, I will try to find out.

What I see in that shot is a great NY skier on a nice new snowfall in the early season. Depth looks better than marginal, but certainly not deep.

He's chosen Plunge, maybe, because it's steep, the snow piles up at the edges and it has a good amount of grass underneath. In addition, far from minding, the mountain's owners appreciate the coverage.

The skier himself it local and the photog was flatlander.

To me the photo represents combination of planning, route choice and skier that is classic NY.

IMO.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The rime covered trees and the bright, neon jacket really make that photo pop.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I like the green too because it's a compatible yet outlier color, on this site.

I guess I over thought it huh.  I do think it's a classic NY shot.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
  I do think it's a classic NY shot.
From the rime on the trees, snow on the chairs, snow on the roof tops of the lodges below, sanded and plowed roads, the shot just screams winter.

I agree. It's a classic. Has everything going for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
campgottagopee wrote
snow on the chairs
Taken before first chair, or possibly an early poach from the triple side.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Agreed that it's an excellent pic with one tiny caveat -- people have to stop using the "optimize" or "auto correct" (or whatever it's called) button on their photo software so much. It pumps up the colors and contrast, which is good, but often makes them look fake. It also makes the snow look like one flat sheet of bright white. A photographer friend mentioned it while looking at some wedding pix I took and I realized that he was right. Sorry if I sound like a dick, just sayin'.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Every image posted on our front page has been edited. Or almost every one, over 90% I'd say.  I actually never touched that one. It came from the photog, I loved it and used it as sent.

FWIW that image is supposed to be iconic like the logo.  The logo was edited for sure.

Just sayin.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by bumps
bumps wrote
Agreed that it's an excellent pic with one tiny caveat -- people have to stop using the "optimize" or "auto correct" (or whatever it's called) button on their photo software so much. It pumps up the colors and contrast, which is good, but often makes them look fake. It also makes the snow look like one flat sheet of bright white. A photographer friend mentioned it while looking at some wedding pix I took and I realized that he was right. Sorry if I sound like a dick, just sayin'.
Yeah.

But it's real hard to get snow correct. For me, it usually either gets washed out or looks gray.