Administrator
tBatt wrote
ScottyJack wrote
Video of portions of PMD  http://vimeo.com/75356072
EDIT:
Ha, that's unfortunate.
HARRRVVVV, who broked it?

So there's three categories of videos as it relates to the forum:

Those that can be embedded with the "embed" tags (80%?)
Those that require checking the HTML format box (15%?)
Those that can not be embedded no matter what.

The PMD vid is in the second category.

Details here:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Forum-Guide-Embed-a-Video-td1672058.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

BETA Pokher Run

Chris
Forum Worthy:

BETA Pokeher Run

What: A 15 mile mountain bike ride on some of Lake Placid's best trails with five stops along the way to take your best chance at drawing the best poker hand. Best three hands wins prizes from local sponsors. After the ride enjoy good beer and music with Big Slyde and Swimming with Champy at Lake Placid Brew Pub. Can't get better than that: Bikes, Beer and Music.

Registration/sign-up will begin at 11:00am at Mirror Lake Beach. Cost is $15/rider and all proceeds will go to BETA. The poker ride will roll-out around 12:00.

Check out their facebook page at "Barkeater Trails Alliance"

See you there!

**Oh yeah, it's THIS WEEKEND 10/5.**
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: BETA Pokher Run

Pants
Oh yes! will be fun!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Pants and Scotty

Did you know that Northwoods is running a race a about the same time on Saturday.  They might be coming up the trails heading back to Northwoods when you all are heading down.  Could be quite a traffic jam.  You may want to touch base with them to get their route to avoid bumping into them.

Alumni Memorial Mt. Bike Race & Trail Run in memory of Jeff Tait '98

October 5th, 2013 at 10:30am: This individual and team event will start and finish on the Northwood School campus.The entry fee is $20 per person. All proceeds will help support the newly created Northwood School Alpine Ski Scholarship, a program designed to attract high level student-athletes interested in attending Northwood School and pursuing their dream of ski racing at the highest levels.

Click the link to the flyer with more details on the course, etc.  You can register at: http://alumni.northwoodschool.com/events/event_details.asp?id=359431&group

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Oooh!  we may need to have an old fashioned western type stand off!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris wrote
See you there!
Yes you will!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Z
thx for the heads up Coach but we're heading in the opposite direction.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Pants
Pants wrote
Oooh!  we may need to have an old fashioned western type stand off!

I love me some westerns!  Saturday morning shootouts rule!!!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fall riding advice

Z
Scotty since you a certified badass this might be not something you worry about but can you give me some advise on riding with all these leaves on the trails.  Stuff that was easy before seems much harder now that the rocks and pungi sticks are all hidden

How do you deal with that?

Also when should I start being concerned with drunks with guns like Campy shooting at me?  I bought a bright yellow jacket.  Should I tie a jingle bell on my bike or something?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Coach Z wrote
Scotty ... you a certified badass

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach Z wrote
Scotty since you a certified badass this might be not something you worry about but can you give me some advise on riding with all these leaves on the trails.  Stuff that was easy before seems much harder now that the rocks and pungi sticks are all hidden

Also when should I start being concerned with drunks with guns like Campy shooting at me?  I bought a bright yellow jacket.  Should I tie a jingle bell on my bike or something?

I've never seen a mountain biker while hunting...ever....anywhere

If I did I'd never shoot in that direction...EVER...no matter what was over there

But I may start w/ YOU, you fancy beer drinkin guy....put that in your pipe and smoke it
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Coach Z wrote
give me some advise on riding with all these leaves on the trails.  Stuff that was easy before seems much harder now that the rocks and pungi sticks are all hidden

well best thing to do is to rake the trails.  we leaf blow and rake...

need to anticipate - stay alert and keep your front tire straight.  strong hold on the handle bars with both hands but don't lock your elbows - try to ride over and not get kicked to the side by hidden land mines...   its good to keep weight slightly back.  dont force it.  dont take anything for granted.  and dont immediately grab the brakes when you bump something.  Mo is usually your best friend so try to keep rolling.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Thanks for the advice
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Coach Z wrote

If I did I'd never shoot in that direction...EVER...no matter what was over there

But I may start w/ YOU, you fancy beer drinkin guy....put that in your pipe and smoke it
Camp

I meant no disrespect I was just trying to be funny

I ride on trails that as a home owner we have legal access to but they are actually owned by some rich Cali dude that rents the area around Mt Hamlin as a private hunting reserve for similarly rich dudes.  Skilled beer drinkers and woodchuckers such as you don't concern me.  Rich city dudes with guns are another story.  Think Dick Cheney

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/vice-president-dick-cheney-hunting-mishap-article-1.1466115

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Coach,
Every time I view riding in leaves like a lesson. I must over analize rocks/roots when I can see them... I find that when hidden by leaves, while if course you need to keep more alert for obvious reasons, it also reminds me how little most rocks/roots effect the bike.
For instance it's not rare that I make it up a tough/rocky climb when often times when it's clear I get hung up on something and have to put a foot down.

BETAs new site seems I be up and running, they're having a trail day this Sunday at the Craigwood trails to anyone that has free time!
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach Z wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Coach Z wrote

Camp

I meant no disrespect I was just trying to be funny

I ride on trails that as a home owner we have legal access to but they are actually owned by some rich Cali dude that rents the area around Mt Hamlin as a private hunting reserve for similarly rich dudes.  Skilled beer drinkers and woodchuckers such as you don't concern me.  Rich city dudes with guns are another story.  Think Dick Cheney

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/vice-president-dick-cheney-hunting-mishap-article-1.1466115

It's cool...sorry, but I'm sensitive when it comes to hunting as too many people just don't get/understand the lifestyle.

Non rednecks worry the shit out of me too

Back on topic----it amazes me how much resistance just a simple layer of leaves adds to a ride. What was once a firm fast ride now seems much slower. I think SJ needs to come to cortland county with his leaf blower.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Coach Z wrote
One more reason to buy a light and ride at night.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris wrote
 I find that when hidden by leaves, while if course you need to keep more alert for obvious reasons, it also reminds me how little most rocks/roots effect the bike.
I agree and same for skiing..sometimes in flat light i find myself not hestitating and fucking up because I could see something that maybe would have made me do that. u just roll right over
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
"The original route in the Cragiwood system is dry, free of leaves, and ready to ride."  

SJ did you get the leave blower out and clean the trails of leaves again this weekend?
1 ... 45678910 ... 17