classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bear in CNY

campgottagopee
Pretty crazy stuff --- I've seen bear in the valley but never one in town

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2016/04/cortland_black_bear_removed_from_neighborhood_tree_video.html

Social media has been going crazy due to the bear being pronounced dead after being tranquilized by DEC and falling from the tree. Wonder how different social media would be if this video were of the bear mauling some 4yo kid. People are just crazy anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bear in CNY

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
There's always a bunch of morons making  comments that value the life of a porcupine over their fellow neighbor. A bear being in this area was obviously a problematic animal
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Agree. By it's tracking collar they could tell this guy had been removed from 3 other towns.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
BLACK BEAR LIVES MATTER
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
BLACK BEAR LIVES MATTER
LMFAO
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I was just informed this bear was within 200 yards of my house....pretty cool

Too bad this guy didn't stay in the woods.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
campgottagopee wrote

When you say "guy," do you mean the bear?

I guess this would be a surprise for Syracuse, but we get bears in Oneonta all the time. Not so much in the busy parts, but in the residential neighborhoods surrounded by forest, bears come looking for food all the time. They really are nothing to be scared of.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Agree. By it's tracking collar they could tell this guy had been removed from 3 other towns.
Harv - give him a username and PW, he should fit right in with the derelicts and misfits we have here.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
We have had bears show up in Saratoga a few times.  One wondered onto Skidmore's quad a few years back... and wondered back out.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
It is pretty simple: if you live in bear habitat, you should expect to see bears, conduct yourself accordingly and teach your kids about what to if they encounter a bear. The chance of a kid getting mauled? Pretty slim, unless he is walking around with trout in his pockets, petting the cute cub or meets up with the very rare predatory bear. (the trout incident actually happened, though the kid was older. Did not end well)

if you are an outdoors person venturing into bear country, I highly recommend reading this book . It made me less nervous about black bears and more nervous about brown (griz) and polar bears:

Here is a relevant quote from the author, who is considered one of the world's leading authorities on bear behavior. He outlines the distinction between instances of grizzly versus black bear predation:   :

Stephen Herrero wrote
Most daytime grizzly bear attacks are defensive, and most daytime, persistent black bear attacks are predatory. “     One rule of thumb, no matter which species of bear is attacking, “If an attack cannot be deterred and is defensive, play dead; if predatory, fight back.

In discussing the high number of recorded injuries from black bear attacks, Herrero notes several important caveats:   First,   “ there are at least ten times as many black bears in North America as there are grizzlies.[15]   Second, the “typical black bear-inflicted injury… is minor and usually involves only a few scratches or light bites…” [16]  (This is a very different result from the hospitalization and surgery and likely to follow injurious contact with a grizzly bear!) Third, most of these minor black bear injuries occurred in national parks, “typically happening in campgrounds … or along roadsides where … black bears begged for food.”
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
campgottagopee wrote

When you say "guy," do you mean the bear?

yes, exactly what I mean

Ethan Snow wrote
campgottagopee wrote

I guess this would be a surprise for Syracuse, but we get bears in Oneonta all the time. Not so much in the busy parts, but in the residential neighborhoods surrounded by forest, bears come looking for food all the time. They really are nothing to be scared of.
This bear was right in the city of cortland --- crazy

It certainly isn't uncommon to see them in Virgil
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
It is pretty simple: if you live in bear habitat, you should expect to see bears, conduct yourself accordingly and teach your kids about what to if they encounter a bear. The chance of a kid getting mauled? Pretty slim, unless he is walking around with trout in his pockets, petting the cute cub or meets up with the very rare predatory bear. (the trout incident actually happened, though the kid was older. Did not end well)

I agree with all of this. That said bears are wild and you never really know. When I lived in VT a woman who lived 3 houses down from me was mauled while taking her garbage out to the street for pickup. Turns out she unknowingly gotten in between a mamma bear and her cubs, mamma on one side of the driveway and cubs on the other. Like your trout story this too did not end well.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I can't say from personal experience but the bear situation down in New Jersey seems like it's become fairly out of control. This opinion of mine has developed on what I see from old high school friends facebook posts and whatever else have read on the internets but it's definitely a thing that wasn't when I was growing up out there. Check out this ladies youtube channel. She perceives herself as some bear activist but in reality she might get someone killed.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
One more, here the same nutty lady has a couple of bears over for a watermelon picnic.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Here is a relevant quote from the author, who is considered one of the world's leading authorities on bear behavior. He outlines the distinction between instances of grizzly versus black bear predation:   :

Stephen Herrero wrote
One rule of thumb, no matter which species of bear is attacking, “If an attack cannot be deterred and is defensive, play dead; if predatory, fight back.

How exactly do we determine the bear's motivation? Do we ask? If it's a female bear we're probably supposed to just know.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
billyymc wrote
How exactly do we determine the bear's motivation? Do we ask?
Wait and see which part of your anatomy it goes for. If he chomps on your loins then you know
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
How exactly do we determine the bear's motivation? Do we ask? If it's a female bear we're probably supposed to just know.
What, you can't read the female's mind? In the case of a bear, you will know. Black bears will generally retreat if you make noise (bang your pots, yell, shoot off a bear banger, that sort of thing), act aggressive, etc. If that doesn't work and the bear keeps coming it is time to play dead.

Here is the advice given by a big park near me, where there are lots of black bears. This is pretty much right out of Herrero's book:

Algonquin Park wrote
Encountering a Black Bear

If you encounter a Black Bear it is likely to react in one of four ways.

Fleeing Bear
    Habituated Bear
    Defensive Bear
    Predatory Bear

1. Fleeing Bear

In most cases, a bear will hear or smell you before you are aware of it. Even if you surprise a bear, it will most often flee the area. Reacting to a fleeing bear... Enjoy the fleeting sight of a wild Black Bear.

2. Habituated Bear

Some bears lose their fear of humans from frequent human contact or from being rewarded with human food or garbage. These bears may not respond to our attempts to dissuade them and may react defensively. Reacting to an Habituated Bear... Stay calm and determine if the bear is aware of you. If the bear is unaware of you, move away quietly. However, if the bear is aware of you, talk to the bear in a low tone, wave your arms, back away, and leave the area. If you are near a building or car, get inside as a precaution. If the bear was attracted to food or garbage, remove it after the bear leaves to discourage the bear from returning.

3. Defensive Bear

A defensive bear will respond in a defensive manner if it perceives you as a threat or if it is defending a food source. It may use vocalizations such as huffing, blowing air loudly through nostrils, exhaling loudly and "popping" of teeth, and may swat the ground with its fore paws, lowering its head, and drawing back the ears. As well, a defensive bear may resort to bluff charges. The bear is feeling threatened by your presence and is trying to get you to back off. Reacting to a Defensive Bear... Stop and face the bear. If you are with others, stay together and act as a group. Make sure the bear has a clear escape route. Slowly back away while watching the bear and wait for it to leave. Use a whistle or airhorn, or bear spray if you have them. Do not turn and run - this may trigger a predatory response in the bear. Do not climb a tree - bears are excellent climbers.

4. Predatory Black Bear

On EXTREMELY RARE occasions, a bear will attack humans with the intent to kill. Predatory bears seldom make huffing or "popping" sounds, nor do they swat the ground with their forepaws, or bluff charge as defensive bears sometimes do. Instead, they silently stalk, or press closer and closer to their intended prey, apparently assessing whether it is safe to attack. Reacting to a Predatory Bear... Leave the area in your canoe or car if you can, but never turn and run. If you cannot leave, confront the bear. Do everything in your power to make the bear think twice about attacking you. Be aggressive, yell, throw rocks, hit the bear with sticks, and use your whistle, airhorn, or bear spray if you have them. If a predatory bear does make contact with you, do not play dead. Fighting back with everything you have is the best way to persuade a predatory Black Bear to halt its attack.
I have experienced #s 1 and 3 on our property. The advice worked. Except that the fleeing bear was being chased by my 30 lb dog, so there was some concern about the dog luring the bear back. Thankfully it all worked out. You would be amazed how fast a bear can run through thick forest.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Dang you guys are a serious bunch.

I live in a residential neighborhood. We have a few bears that saunter through each year. One got treed right by the dog across the street once. Neighbors brought their dog in and the bear climbed down and went away. There's a sheltered ravine on the edge of the neighborhood. I think the bears tend to use it as a way to move through undetected, and sometimes they take a shortcut through the hood.

I usually just carry a jar of honey with me. I've read that bears can't resist a jar of honey.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
billyymc wrote
Dang you guys are a serious bunch.