Belleayre Resort news

85 messages Options
ausable skier ausable skier
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Belleayre Resort news

the never crowded commet seems to contradict the what i thought were really high skier day counts talked about earlier in this thread - how many skier days Bell does seems as questionable as its accounting books

Jamesdeluxe wrote
A great description of Belleayre for the angry ADKers who claim that it's worthless: no crowds on the trails.
its nice to ski at a area that has few other skiers but that becomes the other side of the coin when we start talking about Bell sucking up Orda resources and its questionable at best profitability prospects

From all the fuss made over this place I get that for that part of the state it is a nice place to ski.  The no Huntah douchebag clientel part alone would be a selling point to me if i lived down there.

Yet I still strongly feel that a ski area that far from the mother ship and the constitutional mandate of Orda would be a big mistake.  If i was a patron of Bell I'd be pushing for a local entity to take it over.  I don't see any reason that its own economic development agency could not be created to develop and run it.  Of course just like Orda the local govt's town and county wil need to step up and help fund it.  There is no free ride which is what it seemsed Catskill folks were looking for from Orda.
skunkape skunkape
Reply |

One thing that I liked is the non commercial feel of Belleayre. Living in the city most of the time, you get tired of dishing out dollars for every little thing, and you can approach a point where it feels like a sickening money sucking machine when you get to the high  end / luxury type commercial resorts. I ride hard at Belleayre, arrive at opening, stop for under an hour to eat and digest, then ride until last chair. I don't booze it up in the afternoons, and once I'm warmed up by the fire, I'm out on the lift again.

Of course operating a ski area costs millions of dollars, and you can't cut corners where safety is concerned, especially in a state with so many lawyers :) . I think when this transitionary period passes management can buckle down and get back
to the business of operating a great ski area and community hub. Politics are ugly, and I'm not really educated in all of the facets of this issue, but I hope Belleayre comes out on top, it really is a great ski area with a great history, I fell in love with it my first day.

SIAWOL SIAWOL
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
I guess Brighton isn't a mountain either....
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

HIGHMOUNT >> The Belleayre Resort at Catskill Park can be built.

That was word late Friday afternoon from state Environmental Commissioner Joseph Martens, who said he has ordered the necessary permits for the project be issued.

The resort, first proposed in 2000, has been the subject of years of debate and numerous modifications. The final agreed-upon plan calls for two hotels and one golf course on land adjacent to the Belleayre Mountain Ski Center in the Highmount section of Shandaken.

Part of the resort will be over the Delaware County line, in the town of Middletown.

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-news/20150710/belleayre-resort-wins-final-ok-from-ny-state
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

I hope they pull that off - it's a much better plan than ACR.
Bell needs just about every lift replaced and a lot of terrain work but that will come with time.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Jamesdeluxe Jamesdeluxe
Reply |

Wow, I'd pretty much forgotten about this project. The "Future Site of Belleayre Resort" sign on the access road, at the fork to Highmount, has been sitting there for so long, I figured that it was simply going to rot and fall over before anything happened.
Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

Re: Belleayre news

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
ausable skier wrote
if it doesn't have 2000 vert its not really a mountain - its just a hill.
I guess Mad River and Jay Peak don't classify as real mountains.

I'm just gonna sit back and watch the fireworks.
ml242 ml242
Reply |

Peter Minde wrote
Harvey wrote
ausable skier wrote
if it doesn't have 2000 vert its not really a mountain - its just a hill.
I guess Mad River and Jay Peak don't classify as real mountains.

I'm just gonna sit back and watch the fireworks.
jay and mad both have 2k
Z Z
Reply |

I won't go as far to say you need 2k vert but Bellayre does ski more like a hill because of the lay out.  You only ski maybe 600-800 vert a run and it's has all these cross trails.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Not sure what I was thinking.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp