Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Belleayre Resort news

Gunny J
This post was updated on .
Breaking: State comptroller approves Belleayre land sale
By Lissa Harris

http://www.watershedpost.com/2011/breaking-state-comptroller-approves-belleayre-land-sale

Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Belleayre news

Jamesdeluxe
Check out the comments at the bottom of the article -- even less of a consensus among locals than for the Big Tupper project.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Check out the comments at the bottom of the article -- even less of a consensus among locals than for the Big Tupper project.
I had the same thought. Locals strong both pro and con. Very BT like.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Harvey44 wrote
 Very BT like.
The difference being that, whether you're in favor of it or not, the Belleayre Resort has a chance of actually attracting people due to its proximity to so many people, whereas I can't figure out for the life of me where BT's target audience would be. I always thought that it may be Montreal, but Mapquest says that's more than three hours away -- and they have better options options with less of a drive (Laurentians, Eastern Townships, Jay Peak)
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Harvey44 wrote
 Very BT like.
The difference being that, whether you're in favor of it or not, the Belleayre Resort has a chance of actually attracting people due to its proximity to so many people, whereas I can't figure out for the life of me where BT's target audience would be. I always thought that it may be Montreal, but Mapquest says that's more than three hours away -- and they have better options options with less of a drive (Laurentians, Eastern Townships, Jay Peak)
concerning the drive time the same could be said about Bell - with Windham and Hunter closer to the thruway and better ski areas

if the state can sell this land to the developer - ask you self this question why can't they just sell the whole ski area?  If its such a great ski area that will make a private company a profit the developer should be jumping up and down offering to buy it
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
ausable skier wrote
If its such a great ski area that will make a private company a profit the developer should be jumping up and down offering to buy it
Didn't you read the press release? The state has entrusted Belleayre with an important new mission -- to redirect as much money as possible away from Whiteface.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
concerning the drive time the same could be said about Bell - with Windham and Hunter closer to the thruway and better ski areas
Hunter and Bell are about 1:30-1:40 from me. Windham is about 2:00.

If this gets built the developer is counting on the 18 million population of the NYC metro region. I would guess 75% are 3 hours or less to Belleayre. There are great rec opportunities throughout the year in the Catskills. It is not just about skiing at Belleayre. The fact that Bellayre is right there is very important, but Hunter and Plattekill are close enough to also enhance ski choices from Belleayre.

In contrast BT has way less population within 3 hours and is more difficult to get to. Ottawa metro(population 1.3 million) is less than 3 hours as is Montreal metro (population 3.9 million). Both metro areas have way better ski choices that are closer.  While most of the people on this board would love to ski BT, the majority of skiers/boarders would not choose BT to be their regular ski mountain. BT's lack of terrain, lifts, snowmaking and even confusion about ownership's commitment to the mountain would give most potential homeowners a big question about the skiing experience. WF is about 40 miles of single lane away and that includes driving through Saranac Lake and Lake Placid. I would not consider WF a regular choice for skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
ausable skier wrote
If its such a great ski area that will make a private company a profit the developer should be jumping up and down offering to buy it
Didn't you read the press release? The state has entrusted Belleayre with an important new mission -- to redirect as much money as possible away from Whiteface.
 that's exactly what i'm concerned about - wasting money that otherwise could enhance world class existing orda ski areas of WF and Gore for some podunk southern low altitude ant hill

if it doesn't have 2000 vert its not really a mountain - its just a hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
THATS OUR ANT HILL YOUR TALKING ABOUT. Maybe your so awesome you won't lower your standard. But we ski Smaller areas and can easily Hang with you.  Check Gores elevation its not too different than B. B vert will increase to 2100 with expansion. Some descent skiers have come from small mole hills.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ausable skier wrote
I guess Mad River and Jay Peak don't classify as real mountains.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i guess Alpine Meadows, Bridger Bowl, Silverton, Mt Snow, Pico, Araphoe Basin and Mt Baker just to name a few are mole hills and second rate mountains...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
ausable skier wrote
I agree. I know that when I ski Whiteface I only go top to bottom for the full 3166 lift served vertical.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Screw it.....Rip Willard!!!

The only real mtn north of the Catskills.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
In reply to this post by x10003q
...and it has been years since they covered "Hill" on the Northway sign leading to Hickory.  I did notice there has been no mention of Highmount, which I believe was purchased by the state and then mothballed.  I used to ski that and Plattekill when I was growing up in Northern NJ (also every now and then at Bobcat) rather than Huntah and Windham. If you developed that and added it to Belle I think Platte would have competition...but until then I will still ski Plattekill when I really want to do some Catskill skiing!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
sudsnbumps wrote
...and it has been years since they covered "Hill" on the Northway sign leading to Hickory.  I did notice there has been no mention of Highmount, which I believe was purchased by the state and then mothballed.  I used to ski that and Plattekill when I was growing up in Northern NJ (also every now and then at Bobcat) rather than Huntah and Windham. If you developed that and added it to Belle I think Platte would have competition...but until then I will still ski Plattekill when I really want to do some Catskill skiing!
You are correct about those Highmount Trails. They will give some serious comp to Plattekill if these trails are ever opened.
I will still head to Plattekill to avoid the crowds at Belleayre. But I might hit Bell midweek occasionally rather than Hunter if they open Highmount.

Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
i guess Alpine Meadows, Bridger Bowl, Silverton, Mt Snow, Pico, Araphoe Basin and Mt Baker just to name a few are mole hills and second rate mountains...
you are going to compare Bell to any of the above (except Mt Snow i just don't like that place for some reason) .... REALLY????????

and someone mentioned cat skiing - how much snow does Bell get?  If Hunter gets 80 inches this place would have to be the Jay Peak of the Catskills to get 120"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
what i was trying to say is, a mountain with under 2k vertical can still be a great place to ski..
"Peace and Love"
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
JasonWx wrote
what i was trying to say is, a mountain with under 2k vertical can still be a great place to ski..
Agreed.  And as far as I'm concerned, the lower 1/3 of Whiteface is torture.  More dangerous and congested than the Cross Bronx Expressway.  That top portion (probably under 2k) is the main draw.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
The man ^^^ has a good point.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by CMR
CMR wrote
JasonWx wrote
Agreed.  And as far as I'm concerned, the lower 1/3 of Whiteface is torture.  More dangerous and congested than the Cross Bronx Expressway.  That top portion (probably under 2k) is the main draw.
Exactly. Skiing the Face Lift is meh.