classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
734 messages Options
123456 ... 37
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Colleges for skiing?

Gunny J
 Coach I hope your son grows up to be an Olympic racer, just don't push to hard.  I have got 4 children and pushed my oldest son too hard.  I learned a lot from my mistakes with him . He forgave me and is doing pretty well, in his third year at Drexel.
    What"s important to children at age 10 sometimes changes by the time they are 18. Enjoy all the ski days with him you can!
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
IMO raisingarizona has added a lot to the forum, and much of what he posted above rings true for me. Especially the part about being young.

When I was in high school I ran with four other guys.  After sophomore year in college three of them decided to take a year off and skibum at Steamboat. I'd never skied (neither had they) and wanted to go but my parents were 100% against it, indicating that I'd might on the hook for my tuition if I went.

My folks were hardcore into education (Phds both) and had done the engineering thing at MIT and RPI. My grandparents were high school educated immigrants who busted their butts to pay for it (there may have been some loans too).

They were sure that if I went to ski bum for a year I'd drop out and my life would be toast.

My buds skied at least 5 days a week and got really good. After the season they came back and went back to school and resumed their lives. One is a principal at a middle school, one is back getting a Phd at 57 after spending years in the restaurant business, one is building boats in Maine.  The fifth guy who also didn't go to Steamboat passed at young age.

I wasn't a kid who really went against his parents so it is what it is. But I can't help think I'd be a true expert skier if I'd started skiing at 20 vs 40.  Still, I love skiing as much as anyone, and oddly none of my old buddies really skied much after they got married. I do feel lucky that my dad took the job at Bell Labs in NJ vs the other option he was looking at in South Carolina.
Thanks Harv!  My post is sort of all over the place but it is a reflection of who I am. I am on the fence almost to a fault. Oh well, I am what I am!

Balance kids. It's not something I was ever good and I'm probably still not but it's something I would suggest striving for.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
I wouldn't be surprised at all if a kid that has to ski 100 days a year goes to a nice warm school with no skiing anywhere close.  Enjoy skiing or anything with your children that they want to have fun doing.  We push our kids into soviet style professionalism at a young age in so many sports.  I've been guilty as well.  Once we said no more to organized youth sports everyone was much happier and able to explore what they wanted to do.  Look at sno's love for free skiing, that is healthy.  I bet he still enjoys skiing when he is a grown man.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I agree with this 100%.  I have never been into organized sports and I don't plan to change that.  I would much rather ski for fun and pick my own trails and pace than always be racing.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by evergreen
evergreen wrote
I wouldn't be surprised at all if a kid that has to ski 100 days a year goes to a nice warm school with no skiing anywhere close.  Enjoy skiing or anything with your children that they want to have fun doing.  We push our kids into soviet style professionalism at a young age in so many sports.  I've been guilty as well.  Once we said no more to organized youth sports everyone was much happier and able to explore what they wanted to do.  Look at sno's love for free skiing, that is healthy.  I bet he still enjoys skiing when he is a grown man.
I'm totally not crazy soccer or hockey parent.  The kid lives to ski.  He loves to train and run gates but the heart of the matter is that skiing is and must stay fun.  Both I and His Nysef coaches get that.

Here is a shot from today where I forced him Soviet style  to ski powder in the woods at Smuggs

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
In reply to this post by Z
Yeah, my son was going into engineering.  I on;y thought that because he told me that for years and years.  
Now he is doing his HS sophomore IB project on animation and taking classes at an art studio.  
Don't get to ahead of yourself and just enjoy the ride :)
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
I just said I think Engineering because that is what he likes now
He watches all those shows on tv and always asks how things really work especially motors which is my field.  He is 11 much could change.

I recently watched him coach some other younger racers on something and I also could totally see him being a school teacher and or pro race coach as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by evergreen
evergreen wrote
 Look at sno's love for free skiing, that is healthy.  I bet he still enjoys skiing when he is a grown man.
Bowling scholarship to Coastal Carolina might change his priorities.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
A topic near and dear to my heart. Thanks for posing the question Coach!

Some thoughts:

1) Many of the schools that offer ski teams are highly selective and they are also some of the most expensive schools in the country.

2) If a ripper decides that he does not want to race but wants access to skiing, there are some creative options that offer skiing within an hour of the campus. A couple to consider are  below, in no particular order:
        University of Montana
        University of Vermont
        University of Nevada/Reno
        University of Utah
        University of Washington
        Montana State University

3)The Coach family might be best served using the SUNY system and putting the the cost differential into a reliable car for Coach Jr. to access the slopes.

Just my two cents…Merry Christmas to NYSkiblog.com
GSM
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Here is one more creative idea for a kid who wants access to skiing. Idaho State is in Pocatello. It is 143 miles to Jackson Hole, 133 miles to Grand Targhee. If you are willing to travel a bit more, you can get to Bridger Bowl and Big Sky in 3-4 hours. I have no idea what these trips are like-they might be treacherous mountain passes-I really do not know. But here is the kicker; Idaho State offers in-state tuition waivers as merit scholarships for strong students. Room/board/tuition this year is around $12,000. That would buy a lot of motel rooms and lift tickets!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
t
Coach Z wrote
Here is a shot from today where I forced him Soviet style  to ski powder in the woods at Smuggs
What a prick, forcing him into that dangerous terrain. I am going to contact child services and report you.

BTW - will you adopt me?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
Since my dream place to retire is Driigs ID that could work
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I went to cornell, its a lot cheper than 65k a year, all in for me was about 25k a year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
 I have coached youth soccer in the fall for 14 years and have coached all of my four children. None of that compares to one on one ski time with the  kids. What ever the sport or activity is,  spending time with the children is fun and fulfilling and important.

Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
You also need to consider the cost of grad school depending on the kids career choice. Engineering is nice because you can get a good paying job after four years. Medical fields are a different story.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

jellero
western state college, gunnison, co. ski crested butte. it is a party school but cheap. i don't know about engineering there.
buy a house there now and he can qualify as in state. or anywhere he is going to go. get a free house with the savings.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Good article, I have been using the term "Indentured Servitude" for what has been happening. There is a difference between housing loans and student loans, I can default on a housing loan and regain my credit after several years but the law prevents someone from defaulting on a student loan, bankruptcy won't make it disappear. Colleges are not holding the bag, banks are.  That's where I find fault with this article.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by TomCat
The 1st 4 years towards a BS is on me just as my parents did for me.  Going over 4 yrs or a grad degree is his own responsibility.  Gives some incentive to get done in 4.  

The idea of buying a house to establish out of state residency is good.  That school in ID would be good since I want to retire in Driggs anyway.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
The 1st 4 years towards a BS is on me just as my parents did for me.  Going over 4 yrs or a grad degree is his own responsibility.  Gives some incentive to get done in 4.  

The idea of buying a house to establish out of state residency is good.  That school in ID would be good since I want to retire in Driggs anyway.
Be careful with that. Colleges are on to that. Best way is to divest of your out of state property or show a rental history and to have income in the state and pay state income tax. Just buying a house, getting a drivers license and a bank account is not enough.
123456 ... 37