Best Colleges for Skiing?

546 messages Options
1234 ... 55
Z Z
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Best Colleges for Skiing?

Growing out of the tangent on the MC thread.  As a parent of a smart kid who can rip this intrigued me.

I don't know much about western schools academically.  What is the best combo of skiing and academics?  If I had to guess my son will major in Engineering.  He is only 11 so it's a ways off but we can help Sno with this now.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

Re: Best Colleges for skiing?

Coach Z wrote
Growing out of the tangent on the MC thread.  As a parent of a smart kid who can rip thus intrigued me.

I don't know much about western schools academically.  What is the best combo of skiing and academics?  If I had to guess my son will major in Engineering.  He is only 11 so it's a ways off but we can help Sno with this now.
Coach,
I would send him to Colorado School of Mines if he is serious, Montana State if he can't make the CSM cut. Both are close enough to skiing that he can actually ski a lot during the season and not spend all his time on the road - particularly mid week. MSU has the better team and he would likely need to be one of the top in the east to make it, CSM has a fun club team that gets a lot of skiing in.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

In reply to this post by Z
Keep him on the East Coast .... all the BEST racers are from here

anyone can ski that silly POW
louie.mirags louie.mirags
Reply |

Google "Newschoolers best college for skiing"   that site gets at least 10 threads a year about the subject!
Bosco DaSkia Bosco DaSkia
Reply |

Scersk Scersk
Reply |

Why leave New York?

In ascending order of selectivity:

• Clarkson University; 1hr 46m to Whiteface
• RPI; 1hr 24m to Gore, 2hr 5m to Killington
• Cornell; 28 to Greek, "a drive" to anywhere big

All three are great schools, with significant alumni mafias and D-I hockey. My father went to Clarkson; I went to Cornell. His choice panned out very well for him (and me!). My choice? Jury's still out. But, then, I didn't follow my father's footsteps into engineering. My college buddies who studied engineering—let's face it, all of my friends studied engineering—have succeeded in a nearly uniform fashion.

Best of luck to your son, Coach. More proximately, start thinking, Sno! Any kid with your interest in lifts and hills is a MechE or CivE for sure.
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

Clarkson - $50k/yr
Cornell - $47k/yr
RPI - $47k/yr

MSU - out of state - $32K/yr, in state - $13K/yr
Do the math, establish residency in Bozeman where ancillary benefits include a 70% decrease in property taxes and Bridger Bowl.
Engineering Schools in the NE are a rip off and a BS degree at Cornell will not get you any further than a BS degree from Georgia Tech ($33K/yr) and when I was hiring engineering grads I viewed a degree from Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech just as highly as an MIT or Stanford Grad, and in all actuality they usually had less of an attitude and would be more loyal. Never hired a CSM grad but the few engineers I worked with that came from there were GD smart. The one recent MSU grad I know is working in Houston for big Oil, pulled down >$100K right out of school. Poor SOB gets no skiing in though.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
BigK75 BigK75
Reply |

Those are some steep prices.  Dudes in Ontario protest the government because its about $6K no matter if you go to some piece of shit university or the best in Ontario.  Of course much like everything else in Canada it's subsidized by the Government.  Crazy.

Claude  
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

In reply to this post by PeeTex
My daughter is a junior at Cornell engineering...65 bones a year..it's just a number..

They have a club race team that skis at Greek..Her work load is to great to spend time training etc...
"Peace and Love"
tBatt tBatt
Reply |

In reply to this post by Scersk
Scersk wrote
Why leave New York?

In ascending order of selectivity:

• Clarkson University; 1hr 46m to Whiteface
• RPI; 1hr 24m to Gore, 2hr 5m to Killington
• Cornell; 28 to Greek, "a drive" to anywhere big
University of Utah: 40m to Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Park City, The Canyons. Tution- $19k
MSU Boseman: 35m to Bridger Bowl, 50m to Big Sky. $21k

JasonWx wrote
65 bones a year..it's just a number..
I hope with that mentality you aren't making your daughter pay for it.
1234 ... 55