Best pizza in the 5 boroughs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
72 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best pizza in the 5 boroughs

Brownski
Dude, do not worry about bustin my balls. It's all good  fun. Recommendations are apreciated. I checked to see if it was just me that lives Broadway joes and I found this:
 http://gothamist.com/2015/09/17/best_pizza_nyc_final.php
Not familiar with the other places on the list but he nails it regarding Broadway Joes.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
You can hate on NYC and it's suburbs, but it has the best pizza in this great land...

Brown have you been to https://www.kinchleyspizza.com/  ?

It's over on Franklin Turnpike in Ramsey..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
 I've been to Kinchleys. It's pretty good but I'm not that into that really, really thin style. My wife's family loves that place though. We've actually met up there with the Suffern and Orange County wing for birthdays.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by DomB
DomB wrote

Also, I heard a theory that NYC pizza is so good in part because of the water.  
That's exactly what the show I watched claimed. They said it's all in the water.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by DomB
Brownski wrote
Now that I re-read that I realize you said "famous" not "best" so, yeah, probably Rays (collectively) is the most famous. Johns and Patsys are pretty well known too but I stand by Broadway Joes
DomB wrote
Although Brownski appears to like that kind of gross-looking stuff, I agree with his naming John's and Patsy's as examples of the best pizza one can taste.  Period after my period.
I grew up in Queens, a New Yorker born and bred.  When I started working in the white collar world of Manhattan, I heard over and over about how Patsy's and John's were the "best".  Total fraud.  Their pizza is crap.  Coal-fired, tasteless crap that is passed as "authentic" NY pizza to the same naive waifs who pay $5,000 a month to live in a studio walk-up.

The best slice of pizza in NY is almost certainly to found in the outer boroughs, in what is or may once have been an Italian-American neighborhood.  My personal faves are LaVilla and Gino's in Howard Beach.  I suspect Broadway Joe's probably tastes quite similar.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
 I checked to see if it was just me that lives Broadway joes and I found this:
 http://gothamist.com/2015/09/17/best_pizza_nyc_final.php
Not familiar with the other places on the list but he nails it regarding Broadway Joes.
That list is just wrong.  Green stuff on pizza is an abomination. The only thing that belongs on pizza is red sauce, cheese, oregano and crushed red pepper, and anchovies or pepperoni whenever possible.
The quality of pizza declines exponentially with the distance from the 59th St bridge.  And don't get me started about the white pizza in Syracuse.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Petronio
Can't find much to disagree with this morning. So how do you guys feel about Hawaiian pizza?
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Brownski wrote
Can't find much to disagree with this morning. So how do you guys feel about Hawaiian pizza?

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Fruit doesn't belong on pizza
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote

mm
campgottagopee wrote
Fruit doesn't belong on pizza
Ha! If it's good pizza I agree; Pizza Hut or other crap you can throw whatever you want on it. How about buffalo chicken pizza? I'm against it. Buffalo chicken makes a salad way better but doesn't belong on a (good) pizza in my opinion
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
Gotta go with Justino's red clam pizza on 9th ave between 57 & 58 as my favorite NYC pizza, but as a child of Upstate nothing tops good ole Utica Tomato Pie..... damn good & doesn't even need to be warm.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Utica tomato pie is unique and supremely awesome
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Back in late 90s - early 2000s I lived in Brooklyn right next to Di Fara Pizza in Midwood (somewhere in the area of Avenue J and 14 Street). The pizza was great, but the wait was so slow. I had no idea how famous that place is.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Brownski wrote

Ha! If it's good pizza I agree; Pizza Hut or other crap you can throw whatever you want on it. How about buffalo chicken pizza? I'm against it. Buffalo chicken makes a salad way better but doesn't belong on a (good) pizza in my opinion
I concur ---- chicken doesn't belong on pizza either! To me pizza is simply sauce, cheese, and seasoning imo anything else simply takes away from it's attraction. I also believe to get the best flavor it must be a house slice warmed up. Something about having it sit around then reheated makes it taste better.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JohnIrvingwrestles
My girlfriend makes a mean Utica Greens!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Camp have her try chicken riggies also a Utica thing . But John boy is on target if u ever are in Utica go to Star Bakery get these Utica goodies : Tomato pie ( like pizza except can be served cold  and awesome AND PUSTIES. ( a chocolate or lemon or vanilla filled mini pie like thingy , and my other huge Utica fav ITALIAN HORNS   (A pastry crescent shapped with an Amaretto or Fra Angelico  flavor with glazed almond shavings ontop .) Man those are fn great .
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Oh yeah baby  We had chicken riggies Sunday

She's badass in the kitchen, Warp!!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Sounds like a keeper Camp  !
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I loved chicken speedies when I lived in the southern tier
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
FKNA

If you like chicken speedies you should try venison speedies. They are the bomb!