Re: Big Tupper

Goreskimom
Good luck BT!!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

endoftheline
From the Adirondack Daily Enterprise(ADE) 1/13/11 article on BT. Mtn Manager Bill Mozdzier, "We've got coverage on some trails but to get to them from the top of chair 2 sucks"," the mountain got 10-12" but its light, packs down to nothing". Sounds like they may be jumping the gun a little on opening, definitely bringing my rock skiis.
Reply | Threaded
|

surfh2o
http://skibigtupper.org/831/important-update-regarding-january-15th-opening

IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING JANUARY 15TH OPENING

Unfortunately, we just received word from our Ski Patrol & Mountain Management Team that CHAIR LIFT 2 WILL NOT BE OPERATING SATURDAY JANUARY 15.

The Mitey Mite WILL be operating and admission to the Ski Area WILL BE FREE on Saturday.

After two days of grooming, there are still areas that have been determined as unsafe for skiing. Our sincere apologies for this unfortunate news, but safety is our number one priority.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
guess I was right about jumping the gun.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This vid is a commercial for Tupper Lake. It's got some awesome footage, including some great shots of the hill.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Harvey44 wrote
This vid is a commercial for Tupper Lake. It's got some awesome footage, including some great shots of the hill.
Gorgeous.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Awesome video ... reminiscent of Disney's Soarin' Over California ride. Just need to be thirty feet in the air, swinging, with wind blowing in your face!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Harvey
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Article seems a bit suspect to me.  And last I looked Tupper was west or maybe southwest of Lake Placid, not north.  I used to expect more from WSJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

Teleskiqueen
I thought the same thing Harvey. And here's another article that ran the same day about a rustic house in Tupper Lake (surprise - a rustic house in the Adirondacks!):
http://www.wsj.com/articles/scenes-from-tupper-lake-in-new-yorks-adirondacks-1447944581

I think someone or sometown hired a publicist.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote
What a joke article on every level starting with the title calling Tupper Lake a Ski Destination. An Eastern ski destination must have snowmaking - which does not exist at Big Tupper. A couple of 600 vertical ft double chairs does not make a destination resort, either.
The caption under the photo - 20 miles NORTH of Lake Placid? How hard is it to look at a map. Tupper Lake Village is 41 miles west and slightly south of Lake Placid .
So you write an article and your first 2 statements are completely wrong?

Any deep pocket skier who reads this article and checks out BT will have a good laugh.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
More fiction/spin courtesy of the Developer, Tom Lawson. Disappointing to see how little Fact checking the WSJ does before publishing. Can't even get the location of Tupper Lake right.
The first person mentioned in the article actually just purchased their $3.5M home 2 years ago for $2M and hoped to flip it for a quick profit, built the boathouse and have had it on the market the past 2 yrs.  The last person mentioned in the article also has their home for sale too, because they love Tupper Lake so much. Right. It's on Zillow for $2.5M along with the first guys' for $3.5M.

More of the same old BS by the developer trying to get some interest in the ACR project so he can find more "investors" to try and get them to loan him more money to keep afloat.

Lets all hope for big snow for Big Tupper anyway.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Did Tupper even open last year?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
If anyone has a number we could use for average annual snowfall for Big Tupper, please share.

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/eastern-ski-area-snowfall-averages/new-york/

Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
If you use either Titus or Whiteface totals you are going to be pretty close.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
before I lived here full time I drove every weekend for 7 years to WF past Tupper and my take is that Tupper gets more Lake Effect than LP and WF does
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Lower elevation, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Great to see some movement.  Hopefully the statement on pricing is not accurate:

"Tickets at Big Tupper, which cost $25 a day under ARISE, will be around 80 percent of a Whiteface ticket price, which is currently $94 for a one-day adult pass."