71 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Big Tupper

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
We may have a chance to interview Jim LaValley and David Tomberlin from Big Tupper in September.  My guess is that they probably want to talk about the resort.  While I'm interested in the development, I'm really curious about the skiing, the history of the hill, snowfall, grooming, tree skiing and lifts.

If you've got questions about Big Tupper — post em below.

Big Tupper

FYI - here's all of Harvey Road's Big Tupper booty all on one link:

http://nyskiblog.com/blog/big-tupper
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Big Tupper

Tin Woodsman
At what point, if any, do you plan to re-open the Mt. Morris lift and terrain pod?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
1) Would they consider giving free day tickets to hotshot skiers/bloggers on the internet like H44 and MC2? After all, they would do write ups apres ski....good PR. MC2 is an alumni.

2) What was the hardest obstacle to reopening?

3) Any ideas for attracting new customers?

4) Ever reach out to groups like Meathead Films or Craig Stay Products to solicite video coverage? Meathead poached it once when it was closed and did release some video of it.

5) How's the grub?

6) Any signature dish? (Great food helps attract customers.)

7) Any plans for a boarder/skier cross course?

8) Do they usually have bump run?

9) Online contests can generate new customers. Like Gore did with cyclists on their FB page. Could Tupper do something similar? Maybe even niche wise, like skiadk or The Road or other venues to attract people who are out of Tupper's normal local area.

10) Would Tupper have a swap day with ORDA? We ski there one day free and they ski here one day free.

I tried to write questions that may help them attract new business. That's always a critical element.

And Harv, do not neglect the questions I sent you for Uncle Mikey - All ten of them, please! ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Harv, start with the basics:
- Operating schedule
- Lift ticket prices
- What lifts will operate?
- What terrain is expected to be available?
- Will there be snowmaking and if so, how much?
- Will they groom?
- Will there be "enhancements" to the terrain, i.e. creation of glades, terrain park, etc.?
- Who do they expect their customers to be, locals or overnight tourists?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tin Woodsman
Reached out with a list of preliminary questions, including most of the input above.

(Thanks Jeff, Snowballs and TW).

More input is desirable and welcome.

Trying to set up a site tour at Mt Morris, with Jim and David, in the next few weeks.

EDIT: Snowballs are you thinking about the video from CS Films at Big Tupper?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Yea like I said........ CS Films
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Harvey
No one knows the year of this Big Tupper trail map?
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Beginner terrain

Lifts for said terrrain

At what age--and under do kids ski free.    Match Gore?

I have not driven this in winter and have not looked at a map.    What are the roads like?  Do they have to plow anythhing to get the place open.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
I like the ORDA reciprocation idea.  It would be great if Tupper and Hickory did something for ORDA passholders.  Jay Peak offers 25% off a day ticket to any person with a season pass nationwide.  When we are up in VT and debating skiing Jay or Stowe, it always makes $$ sense to ski Jay.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
Snowballs wrote
8) Do they usually have bump run?
There was a sick bump run right under the main chair (the one right in front of the base lodge, on the left if you're looking up the mountain) when I skied there.  Went from the top of that chair all the way down to the midstation.  It was steep, with a lot of different lines, including some Dark Side Glades type rocks that were roped off (but skied anyway).  I even remember skiing in a bump contest there in 97 or 98.  Nice kicker, and a lot of good skiers.

Snowballs wrote
10) Would Tupper have a swap day with ORDA? We ski there one day free and they ski here one day free.
Great Idea - and a great way to build clientele.

I:)skiing wrote
I have not driven this in winter and have not looked at a map.    What are the roads like?  Do they have to plow anythhing to get the place open.    
There's an access road that runs from the lake past the golf course and up to the base area.  It's similar to Gore's access road in windiness, shorter in length, and crappy asphalt/gravel instead of smooth asphalt.  I don't remember too much of a problem with plowing, but I guess the answer to your question is yes, they have to plow something.

I seriously think that if Big Tupper can cultivate a Mad River Glen type vibe they can pull off a great skiing experience.  However, that doesn't really mesh with the high end condos, Adirondack great camps, and hotels they want to put in.  The people who buy that type of real estate seem to want their runs more manicured (See "Valley, Deer").  I also don't really know how much work will be involved in getting the top of the mountain ready.  The last couple of years that the mountain operated, that lift was almost always (maybe even always) closed.  The runs kind of fell into disrepair.  There was always a "natural" feel to the terrain up top, but the last couple of year that I skied up there the trails all seemed to add saplings and bushes every summer.  They're going to need a lot of people working very hard to get the mountain ready.

Regardless, I want in.  I'm definitely going to have to try it this year.  The only thing holding me back last year was the lack of snow (and I almost went anyway when I got up to Gore one day and it was on an Ice hold - seriously considered just driving north on 28).  Just like MRG, Big Tupper is great when there's a lot of natural, but might be a little suspect when Mother Nature fails to provide.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
1) Would they consider giving free day tickets to hotshot skiers/bloggers on the internet like H44 and MC2? After all, they would do write ups apres ski....good PR. MC2 is an alumni.
^^^There's another good idea!^^^^

Matt, you mentioned driving from Gore to Tupper....How long a drive would that be on 28? on Northway? Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Snowballs wrote
Matt, you mentioned driving from Gore to Tupper....How long a drive would that be on 28? on Northway? Thanks.

On 28, it's about 60 miles (a little over an hour, depending who you get stuck behind).  On the Northway it would be considerably longer.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

adkcliff
In reply to this post by Tin Woodsman
We opened chair 2 last year. I'm currently working on trying to get chair 3 open for this season. So far thing are coming along smoothly with chair 3.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Snowballs wrote

3) Any ideas for attracting new customers?

5) How's the grub?
Harvinator, The Road oughta hold a Ski Big Tupper Day....Take this show on the road. Would be a really nice thing to do for Big Tupper. Yes Sir. The Board would likely have a great time too.

It would be a awesome chance to get some fun video footage for your film project Harv!

Bet ADKCliff would think it way cool......

Does anybody else think it would be cool ? MC2 ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Big Tupper, NY: 9/15/10

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by adkcliff
adkcliff wrote
...things are coming along smoothly...
BIGTIME thanks to JL, DT and especially adkcliff for a great visit at Big Tupper yesterday....

Big Tupper Site Tour

...who generously gave most of his afternoon to haul a flatlander all over Mt. Morris.  That guy can handle a quad.

I've never met a more dedicated. passionate group of people fighting to save something they love — Tupper Lake, NY.

We'll post a results of my interview and pics from the tour on the blog sometime in the next few days.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkcliff
OK! How's the grub? Well, we are working on that. Because we are working on a very TIGHT budget, we don't have a kitchen. That opens a whole can of  worms. The Health Dept. then gets involved. We are working on a cook wagon for this season. With a kitchen, we have to worry more about waste water.
Someone else asked about trading tickets with Gore Or Whiteface. They Lose! When our ticket are only $15 and theirs are $70+, just doesn't work. Besides, when people see their lift lines, they come to Big Tupper. It's only a 45 minute drive.
I'll try to answer any questions you have. If I don't know the answer, I'll get it.
Please, come and visit Tupper Lake and spend a week-end on Big Tupper. You'll have fun!

Cliff
Reply | Threaded
|

adkcliff
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Maybe this will answer a few questions:
Prices: $15 day pass, $150 single season, $250 couple, and $400 family of 4. $75 each additional.
Operational hours: Fri, Sat, and Sun. chair 2. if we can get chair 3 up to par, it will run Sat. and Sun., now this is depending on if we have the volunteers and patrol to cover the top.
We may only have 1 run open from the top of chair 3. But, when it ties into chair 1, it will open the rest of the mtn.
We have a one groomer and Tim Brown is working on getting another one. Sure will need two if chair 3 is up and running. Which I only question the cable inspection to hold us up. Everything elseis easy.
Please rember that we operate on donations and ticket sales. It cost us $130K to run laast years. Before we started our fund drives of this year, we may have had $20k in the bank. Maybe!!
Because of insurance, we can't have a terrain park. We would have to have it roped off and have a volunteer at the start of the trail. Which would mean that we would have to build a little warming hut for them.
We truely wish we could do more!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
It's great to hear about the nuts and bolts from Cliff. People always wonder "why did they do this?" and "why didn't they do that?" and often assume that there are nefarious reasons when something at a ski area isn't to their liking.

By hearing from someone on a micro budget, we can understand how decisions are made (all about $$$/insurance).
Reply | Threaded
|

adkcliff
Snowball,
By, all means, bring the "show". You will have a great time. Might be able to get you guy's set up for a night or two.