Brooklyn Woman Dies Falling from D Lift at Hunter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Brooklyn Woman Dies Falling from D Lift at Hunter

skunkape
http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/woman-dies-after-fall-from-chairlift-at-ny-ski-resort/

Rest in Peace, it looks like this was a freak accident.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Brooklyn Woman Dies Falling from D Lift at Hunter

Glade Runner
Banned User
That's terrible, they should ban chair lifts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Ugh, always hate hearing about things like this.

My buddy and I witnessed what could have been a real bad one yesterday ---- thankfully nobody got hurt too bad. What might have happened still turns my stomach.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
Look at how he doesn't even give a crap about this poor woman and makes some stupid statement. People on internet forums disgust me. And I'm called a troll. Maybe it's because I'm the only descent person.

Kind of funny how we just had a thread about putting down the safety bar and everyone called me bubble boy. Just another example of the importance of the safety bar
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
Look at how he doesn't even give a crap about this poor woman and makes some stupid statement. People on internet forums disgust me. And I'm called a troll. Maybe it's because I'm the only descent person.

Kind of funny how we just had a thread about putting down the safety bar and everyone called me bubble boy. Just another example of the importance of the safety bar
I did say that it was terrible.  And I always put down my safety bar.  Just because I took a shot at you, doesn't mean I don't care about others.  If people on internet forums disgust you so much why are you on them?
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Camp . . . what happened?

Not sure how someone falls from a chair 100 feet from the disembark unless they are horsing around or get pushed.  I can see when you are closer, maybe inching forward too much and slipping off.  

Once at Catamount, I was so focused on getting my youngest off at the halfway point (it was her first time on the chair) that I forgot to get off.  Panicking that I could not leave my 6-year old alone, I leapt from about four to six feet past the disembark, planted the landing in the middle of the trail and luckily did not break anything.  Although according to my kids it looked awesome.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
In reply to this post by skunkape
When taking kids up on a lift always remember if something drops do not even worry about it just focus on making sure the bar goes down. I took my pals kid up and he dropped  his pole.  We yelled to the attendant to send it up when I looked over his boy was hanging off the lift up 20 feet. I hauled him in. It was scary and a lesson learned.
On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote
Camp . . . what happened?

Long story short.....little kid was on a trail he had no biz being on as it was very apparent he couldn't turn, he was in a wedge and got going so fast he couldn't hold it so just started straight lining. As we watched he was headed right for a snow making pole and light pole. I actually turned my head and was just waiting for the sound of an incredible impact. My buddy gave a OMG he missed the pole so I turned backk around only to see him slam into a group of little racer dudes who were pulled over on the side of the trail listening to their coach. He completely cleaned one kids clock.....there was shit flying in the air like you can;t believe. Poles, skis, goggles etc everywhere. If that little shit would've hit that pole I'm certain he would've been injured badly if not killed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by skunkape
Tragic event.

It was "D Lift".  I think it is the oldest operating lift at Hunter.  It was installed in 1967.  It is a triple with a simple wrap-around bar with no foot rest. I've been on this lift many times. Not to blame the victim, but it is conceivable that a small person or child could slip beneath the bar if one was wearing slippery nylon pants and slouching or changing positions (e.g., reaching for pockets on the chair).  

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Sorry to hear about the women at Hunter

To the issue Camp witnessed that is my biggest fear as a parent having some idiot that shouldn't be where they are turning into human missile and hitting my kid.  The parent that let there kid ski out of control should be charged with child endangerment.

With the recent weather affecting the snow everyone be careful out there it's pretty shecky in the afternoons.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote

Settle down kid and reel it in a little.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by Z
Careful coach. You are getting into snow fence territory. Half the families, especially of race kids , would be in lock up every weekend at Gore and probably every other mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote

Multiple reports say the bar was down. Why don't you find out the facts before stuffing your foot in your mouth, again. Oh, and you are a troll.

My condolences to the victim's family.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
When I first started skiing, a more experienced friend told me that if I was starting to speed out of control to just collapse and fall down instead of becoming a missile. A fall will hurt less than a collision. I told my kids the same thing when they started skiing. Does anybody preach that anymore?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

ehine1
Spongeworthy wrote
When I first started skiing, a more experienced friend told me that if I was starting to speed out of control to just collapse and fall down instead of becoming a missile. A fall will hurt less than a collision. I told my kids the same thing when they started skiing. Does anybody preach that anymore?
That's my theory as well. Girlfriend started snowboarding this year and that was one of the firs things I told her when she started out.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
PowderAssassin wrote
me...I'm...I'm the only descent(sic) person....everyone called me bubble boy.
Peace be with you

Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote

Multiple reports say the bar was down. Why don't you find out the facts before stuffing your foot in your mouth, again. Oh, and you are a troll.
So they should get rid of safety bars then? You don't think they decrease the likelihood of someone falling? Imbecile. There's a reason ski areas have them and it's the law to put them down in some states genius.

Honestly the story makes no sense. It says she hit her skis on the lift tower. WTF? How does a full grown woman fall out of a chair by hitting her ski's on the lift tower with a safety bar down?????
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Maybe it caused her to shift in the seat, through leverage or panic. Once the hips are too far forward, slip ! Snow pants are slippery and there could have been snow underneath them. It's not that hard to imagine it happening.

Sad story for sure.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
PowderAssassin wrote
Marcski wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote

So they should get rid of safety bars then? You don't think they decrease the likelihood of someone falling? Imbecile. There's a reason ski areas have them and it's the law to put them down in some states genius.

Honestly the story makes no sense. It says she hit her skis on the lift tower. WTF? How does a full grown woman fall out of a chair by hitting her ski's on the lift tower with a safety bar down?????
Either wind or she was turning around to look at something behind her chair
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time