581 messages Options
1 ... 2627282930
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

Harvey
Administrator
Makes sense.  I just assumed if Bell and Gore were doing it...

Does the WF gondi get more wear and tear than Gore?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
Thanks for posting. ORDA has to implement pass incentives now or I’m unlikely to buy a pass. I’m very pessimistic about this season. Some places are talking about limiting daily visits or online sales only to control the crowds. Eat outside in the Adirondacks? I’m used to harsh winters but there are plenty of days that you have to go in after 4 runs for about a half an hour to warm up enough just to go out and take 4 more runs again. I would like ORDA to talk about these issues right now so we can plan to ski this winter.
Still no official response, but I am hearing rumors something is coming.  That is all I know now.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Here's a recent trip report and what it may be like for new "rules".
Timberline.
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/07/13/skiing-during-covid-19-world/

Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Some are forgetting that the shutdown decision isn't controlled by Vail or Alterra, but by the state, in the end.
Not entirely.  At least in the case of Vail Resorts the decision of when to shut down operations in N. America at all locations was made by CEO Katz before the Gov. of Colorado shut down all resorts in that state.  The recent shut down of Falls and Hotham in Australia was also a VR-only decision based on regional issues with a spike in COVID-19 cases.  Other ski resorts (only a couple) in the same region continue to operate.

VR has re-opened some locations for limited summer operations, but not all.  In particular, Sunapee is not open.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ORDA Pass Deadline extended to 9/2:

https://www.goremountain.com/tickets-passes/season-passes

https://www.whiteface.com/tickets/whiteface-season-passes

Not live on Bell's site yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
More ORDA:

100% SKI3 ASSURANCE

Purchase your season pass with confidence!  We are looking forward to a great season at our mountains, but if there are any unexpected situations where you need flexibility, simply request your SKI3 Assurance.  You can exchange your 2020-2021 season pass for a 100% purchase credit for any reason through December 1, 2020.

Information about the SKI3 Assurance Credit:

You'll receive a 100% purchase credit for your 2020-2021 season pass on a Snow Guarantee Card
It is valid from date of issue through Closing Day, Spring 2022
Can be used to purchase season passes, lift tickets, lessons, and rentals
Can be used online or in person at Gore, Whiteface, or Belleayre Mountains
Is available upon request for any reason through December 1, 2020
Reply | Threaded
|

The UNHOLY Skier
Not bad.
I have kids that take lessons at Whiteface - Cloudsplitter and Future Medalists ....not sure what I am going to do. From now until December 1 is a long ways away in this type of environment.  December 1st the skiing isn't really "going".  I'm concerned in Mid January / Mid February, COVID arises and they reduce the capacity in the lodge or reduce the lifts....technically the mountain is still open but not user friendly.  Past season lesson history has shown Whiteface is not too customer focused.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
Great idea for wasschutes local with this offering season pass free for some 100
essentially workers

"We are giving away 100 complimentary Season Passes to essential workers nominated by their friends or family!

We would like to celebrate and thank all of our essential workers that have been working so hard over the last few months with a free Steel Pass for the coming season.

To nominate a friend or family member please send an email to web@wachusett.com including their name, age, town/city of residence, occupation, connection to Wachusett, brief story of hard work during pandemic, why they deserve this prize, and if you would like your story posted to social media (photos are encouraged but not required). Submissions will be accepted until August 31st, after which winners will be chosen.

https://www.wachusett.com/Tickets-Passes/Tickets-Seasonal-Passes/Season-Passes.aspx"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Yeah, but, ... they'll be working.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote
Last I knew, the WF gondola was going to be closed all summer for, essentially, a rebuild.
Both gondolas are now 20plus years old.
The Gore Gondola was upgraded with a new drive and haul line 2 years ago. WF is going a step further, ala Big K, by upgrading the drive, haul line, and new cabins.

I have spoken with some local ORDA employees, and no one seems to have any idea if the cabins will be sanitized between users, but it is true that there aren't very many people that go to Gore in the Summer. But this is not an ordinary year, with many usual Summer activity options not available everywhere, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
They will be offering the Gondola on 2 days and AE2 on 2 days same as last year (Thurs-Sun), and the options of hiking, biking, and disc golf (with a "new" course). The outside snack bar will be open.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
https://skiing.substack.com/p/whiteface-gore-belleayres-ny-ski3
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
I find it very interesting that ORDA is NOT advertising any of this. No emails, no social media, no mention of the 2 new chairs at Gore, and WF gondola upgrades.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Harvey
I’ve already purchased our passes for out here but if It becomes required to make reservations and such I’ll probably opt for the desert mountain biking option.

A reservations only system would be too much of a hassle to go imho. I love skiing but not that much. I can’t imagine making that worth the effort for the urban day ticket purchasing skier that drives several hours to get to their destination.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
raisingarizona wrote
I’ve already purchased our passes for out here but if It becomes required to make reservations and such I’ll probably opt for the desert mountain biking option.

A reservations only system would be too much of a hassle to go imho. I love skiing but not that much. I can’t imagine making that worth the effort for the urban day ticket purchasing skier that drives several hours to get to their destination.
Really depends on how reservations are handled.  The early experiments in the spring in the U.S. only allowed buying a day ticket about 24 hours in advance.  What's being done in Australia allows people to buy weeks in advance multi-day tickets.  So a family can plan for a ski vacation that lasts more or less a week.

Now that Perisher has a lot more lifts running and mid-season snow coverage, Epic passholders don't need a reservation Mon-Fri.  Both Perisher and Thredbo continue to release more day tickets/reservations as more acreage opens up.  Essentially everyone who skis at resorts in Australia has to drive 4-6 hours.  There are very few people who live close enough for day trips.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Harvey
I bought my Gore pass early this year before I thought much about coronavirus. I'm glad I'll have a chance to put it off a year even if I use it in November.

The website says that if I trade my pass for a credit I'll get a "snow guarantee card" but it doesn't say what that is. Does anyone know?

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Its a orda gift card.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by marznc
Sounds like a big pia.

I don’t mind taking a winter off really but my 13 yr. old daughter is going to want to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
New Zealand could provide insight as to what might happen in New England.  With fewer people willing to fly for a ski vacation, the regional ski areas/resorts might not have too much trouble running at whatever capacity is deemed appropriate.  Might apply to the mid-Atlantic, southeast and midwest that have large populations within driving distance for 2-5 day ski trips.

New Zealand has cut off travel with the rest of the world.  Except for a few exceptions.  Such as the people needed to complete the installation of a new ski lift.  The employer must pay for a 14-day quarantine before overseas employees can begin work on site.

July 16, New Zealand Herald
Skiers in record numbers at Queenstown resorts, but overall visitors down
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=12348614
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Hasn’t New Zealand had like zero cases?
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
raisingarizona wrote
Hasn’t New Zealand had like zero cases?
Not quite.  NZ shut down hard early on.  By eliminating outside sources and doing plenty of testing, doing good contact tracing for the detected cases was possible.  So no major outbreaks in the community slipped through.  As of July 16 there were 1200-1500 total cases, with 22 deaths.  The range for cases depends on whether "probable" cases are included.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases

Iceland is another island nation that has good control but only about 400,000 population.  The numbers for Hawaii are comparable to New Zealand.  But Hawaii has only about 1.5 million people, while New Zealand has around 5 million.

Obviously New England is in a different situation from island regions when it comes to the potential for continuing spread of COVID-19 in the fall and winter since people can and will drive from points south during ski season, assuming ski areas/resorts are open.
1 ... 2627282930