COVID 19 impact on skiing

581 messages Options
1 ... 545556575859
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

Makes sense.  I just assumed if Bell and Gore were doing it...

Does the WF gondi get more wear and tear than Gore?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
Thanks for posting. ORDA has to implement pass incentives now or I’m unlikely to buy a pass. I’m very pessimistic about this season. Some places are talking about limiting daily visits or online sales only to control the crowds. Eat outside in the Adirondacks? I’m used to harsh winters but there are plenty of days that you have to go in after 4 runs for about a half an hour to warm up enough just to go out and take 4 more runs again. I would like ORDA to talk about these issues right now so we can plan to ski this winter.
Still no official response, but I am hearing rumors something is coming.  That is all I know now.
tirolski tirolski
Reply |

Here's a recent trip report and what it may be like for new "rules".
Timberline.
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/07/13/skiing-during-covid-19-world/

marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Some are forgetting that the shutdown decision isn't controlled by Vail or Alterra, but by the state, in the end.
Not entirely.  At least in the case of Vail Resorts the decision of when to shut down operations in N. America at all locations was made by CEO Katz before the Gov. of Colorado shut down all resorts in that state.  The recent shut down of Falls and Hotham in Australia was also a VR-only decision based on regional issues with a spike in COVID-19 cases.  Other ski resorts (only a couple) in the same region continue to operate.

VR has re-opened some locations for limited summer operations, but not all.  In particular, Sunapee is not open.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

ORDA Pass Deadline extended to 9/2:

https://www.goremountain.com/tickets-passes/season-passes

https://www.whiteface.com/tickets/whiteface-season-passes

Not live on Bell's site yet.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

More ORDA:

100% SKI3 ASSURANCE

Purchase your season pass with confidence!  We are looking forward to a great season at our mountains, but if there are any unexpected situations where you need flexibility, simply request your SKI3 Assurance.  You can exchange your 2020-2021 season pass for a 100% purchase credit for any reason through December 1, 2020.

Information about the SKI3 Assurance Credit:

You'll receive a 100% purchase credit for your 2020-2021 season pass on a Snow Guarantee Card
It is valid from date of issue through Closing Day, Spring 2022
Can be used to purchase season passes, lift tickets, lessons, and rentals
Can be used online or in person at Gore, Whiteface, or Belleayre Mountains
Is available upon request for any reason through December 1, 2020
The UNHOLY Skier The UNHOLY Skier
Reply |

Not bad.
I have kids that take lessons at Whiteface - Cloudsplitter and Future Medalists ....not sure what I am going to do. From now until December 1 is a long ways away in this type of environment.  December 1st the skiing isn't really "going".  I'm concerned in Mid January / Mid February, COVID arises and they reduce the capacity in the lodge or reduce the lifts....technically the mountain is still open but not user friendly.  Past season lesson history has shown Whiteface is not too customer focused.
ScottySkis1 ScottySkis1
Reply |

Great idea for wasschutes local with this offering season pass free for some 100
essentially workers

"We are giving away 100 complimentary Season Passes to essential workers nominated by their friends or family!

We would like to celebrate and thank all of our essential workers that have been working so hard over the last few months with a free Steel Pass for the coming season.

To nominate a friend or family member please send an email to web@wachusett.com including their name, age, town/city of residence, occupation, connection to Wachusett, brief story of hard work during pandemic, why they deserve this prize, and if you would like your story posted to social media (photos are encouraged but not required). Submissions will be accepted until August 31st, after which winners will be chosen.

https://www.wachusett.com/Tickets-Passes/Tickets-Seasonal-Passes/Season-Passes.aspx"
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

Yeah, but, ... they'll be working.
funny like a clown
Darkside Shaman Darkside Shaman
Reply |

In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote
Last I knew, the WF gondola was going to be closed all summer for, essentially, a rebuild.
Both gondolas are now 20plus years old.
The Gore Gondola was upgraded with a new drive and haul line 2 years ago. WF is going a step further, ala Big K, by upgrading the drive, haul line, and new cabins.

I have spoken with some local ORDA employees, and no one seems to have any idea if the cabins will be sanitized between users, but it is true that there aren't very many people that go to Gore in the Summer. But this is not an ordinary year, with many usual Summer activity options not available everywhere, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
They will be offering the Gondola on 2 days and AE2 on 2 days same as last year (Thurs-Sun), and the options of hiking, biking, and disc golf (with a "new" course). The outside snack bar will be open.
Gotta go to know
1 ... 545556575859