classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
581 messages Options
1 ... 24252627282930
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

gorgonzola
With all the folks on the trails lately and many of those beings newbs certainly presents a lot of conflicts and challenges. I can't find the source but it was a reputable one, i read somewhere that ALL user should yield in these times and it makes sense.

Last weekend I timed my ride late in the day thinking I'd avoid the crowds only to find the trailhead lot overflowing; I was relieved when I parked and realized that I forgot my shoes and had to run back  home and get 'em. Less crowded when i got  back but alot of yahoos. The uphill rider typically has the right of way (although I'll yield on flow trails or or big descents) but this guy coming down wasn't moving so I yielded, ok. Met him again riding opposite direction on a one way designated trail, it was bench cut into a pretty good cross slope and my fat ass outweighed him by 30# so I wasn't yielding this time.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I rode today..trail was empty.. I won't ride on the weekends until this subsides..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JasonWx wrote
I rode today..trail was empty.. I won't ride on the weekends until this subsides..
Yeah, this past weekend (nice weather) was wild.

Gotta choose places with lots of space and get out away from the trailheads & parking areas as fast as possible (most of these "new to the outdoors" people seem to stay within a mile of where they parked).
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My son rode Friday and the Hardy Road trails were busy with locals.  I would assume the flume trailhead was busy too

I rode Saturday on our trails in the acres and didn’t see another person the whole ride
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
My favorite trails that are relatively close, about 10 minutes from me, have been quite crowded on weekends and in the later afternoons. (more crowded than I have ever seen them).  Sometimes, as I first turn onto the road leading to the trailhead parking area, I just turn around and go to my local trails, which have more people than normal, but isn't stupid crowded like the trails that are 10 mins from me.

Unfortunately, with these increased crowds, I have also noticed a whole hell of a lot of trail degradation. The trails have been widened substantially.  

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
marc
i need to come over and join you on a ride.. Maybe Blue or Graham or even Sprain..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
JasonWx wrote
marc
i need to come over and join you on a ride.. Maybe Blue or Graham or even Sprain..
Yes, I've been wanting to ride with you again, Jason.  I've found that it is hard to keep proper social distance if one rides with a group during this Covid crap.  Lately, I've been going solo with my pup. I was referring to Graham Hills, when I said its been crazy crowded on weekends and nice afternoons.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Ya may be able to get some skiing in at A Basin. Skied there once June 5th the day after I went golfing when I was staying in Boulder for a week long meeting.
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/05/05/only-one-colorado-ski-area-now-has-hopes-of-reopening-this-season/
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
tirolski wrote
Ya may be able to get some skiing in at A Basin. Skied there once June 5th the day after I went golfing when I was staying in Boulder for a week long meeting.
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/05/05/only-one-colorado-ski-area-now-has-hopes-of-reopening-this-season/

No.

Imagine the crowds. First, you'd have to bring in the National guard to enforce proper distanced parking. I'm not kidding. Then, the tailgating, which is an automatic because the bar and cafeteria won't be open. Then, how do you socially distance a lift line/corral? No, not happening. Sorry.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
This post was updated on .
Benny Profane wrote
Imagine the crowds. First, you'd have to bring in the National guard to enforce proper distanced parking. I'm not kidding. Then, the tailgating, which is an automatic because the bar and cafeteria won't be open. Then, how do you socially distance a lift line/corral? No, not happening. Sorry.
Agreed, ain't happening unless they attempt something similar to what Baldy near LA recently did (staggered reservations, like tee times), which they'll probably decide wouldn't be worth the trouble.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I watched the first 45 seconds and lost interest.

What happened?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I have been paying attn to snowbird to see if they might reopen for Memorial Day or in June but they pulled the plug for fear of being over whelmed
They did reopen for uphill traffic so someone like a MC could head there to skin
Planes are basically empty
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Z wrote
I have been paying attn to snowbird to see if they might reopen for Memorial Day or in June but they pulled the plug for fear of being over whelmed
They did reopen for uphill traffic so someone like a MC could head there to skin
I was talking with snoloco on Facebook about flying out west. He wanted to go to Oregon because they were going to open lifts
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
No they aren't. The airlines that you bailed out with your grandchildren's tax money have parked most of their planes, and reduced flights dramatically. Photos of interiors of a few flights have gone viral, with all seats occupied, and some passengers not wearing masks. I just read this morning how a few airlines are telling crew not to enforce mask wearing after takeoff, because that would just create an incident that may escalate to diverting the plane to a landing somewhere other than the original destination. Now, I think we all know how cramming a hundred to few hundred people into a large metal tube for hours is probably one of the most unhealthy environments to be in before this contagious virus exploded, so now is hardly the time to maximize seating.
Then, where are you going to sleep? Normally, it's easy to ignore the fact that you may be the thousandth person sleeping on that mattress (ewwww), but, now? (Ever buy a used mattress?) Do you trust that the room has been disinfected? Ok, then, where do you eat? Is SLC even allowing indoor restaraunt seating. If so, do you even want to be near a table with a family talking loudly and the kids running around? (Talking in closed spaces is very high on the list of ways to spread this thing, maybe #1) We all know how most people get after a few drinks. Loud and a little careless.

Nope, not me. Especially to ski slush and mud bumps in May. I'm pretty skeptical that next season is viable, but, who knows. Time to bike and hike.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
No planes or hotels for me either.....but it doesn’t make me feel any better to lie to myself that it’s only slush and mud bumps out there.    I skied powder (even by your standards) on May 18 at Snowbird last year, Tahoe could see measurable snow this Sunday/Monday.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I haven't decided if I'll fly or drive to Denver to see my grandchildren.  I have a boatload of airline credits after cancelling 2 trips. Either way, I'm hoping A Basin re-opens.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Mt Bachelor reopened only to pass holders and they hold a lottery you have to enter as they only allow 500 per day to spend out crowds
Great place for spring skiing btw
Might try to go there next spring as they will be on the Ikon next yr

Timberline at Hood is about to reopen as well
Probably mostly as a race training venue
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I was surprised this morning to get an e-mail form Jackson Hole that they are opening the gondola for summer sightseeing on May 30.  I've been thinking gondolas are obsolete for the foreseeable future. If the summer goes well maybe gondolas will be usable next winter.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
1 ... 24252627282930