Colorado trip in one month - pull plug or stay course???

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Colorado trip in one month - pull plug or stay course???

ausable skier
I have a trip booked to CO in one month.  I have a week to decide if i should pull the plug on this.  There was nothing on the accuweather 15 day forecast until today when next week is showing several days of snow.

I can't see paying big $ to ski groomers on man made snow base of 18" - I could stay at home and do that.   For about $400 i could pay a change fees and head to Canada maybe Banff instead where they have plenty of snow.

What to do?  Anyone have any ideas on what this pattern change is going to mean for Colorado for the next month?
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Colorado trip in one month - pull plug or stay course???

takeahike46er
This post was updated on .
I have been watching the weather carefully as I am going to Utah for a week in early February.

There are some major disagreements in the models beyond this week.  The GFS shows the dry pattern persisting while the Euro shows substantial activity.  By late in the week there should be better consensus in the models as to how next week will play out.  If the dry pattern persists, you might want to consider alternatives while it is still feasible.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by ausable skier
46er's advice is good..give it another week or so..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I personally would pull the plug and sniff around for some deals.  Just saw on FTO that Redwoods in Canada is offering all US residents free passes.  Grand Targhee has a ton of snow and they are offering free passes for anyone with a seasons pass to a us or canadian ski area.  Whistler and pacific NW seem to be having a good season too.  If you wait until a few weeks out and Colorado gets dumped on you could always go.

Heading to SLC this weekend with some buddies.  We toyed with the idea of changing course and heading to Whistler but it was too much to coordinate.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
bag SLC and drive to GT...4.5hr drive
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
JasonWx wrote
bag SLC and drive to GT...4.5hr drive
Hmmm.  Very tempting.  It would be a bit of a JA move since there are 14 guys coming out and I am sure some would get left in SLC.  There are no friends on a powder day though right?  I might be able to splinter off a few peeps to head up there.  Our reservations are for the Marriott CY in SLC so we could cancel today......
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Sounds like a no brainier..That's the beauty of staying at big chain hotels...you can cancel with in 24hrs..

Many hotel deals to be had in JH and GT...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I am  heading out to UT Saturday...very nervous about the weather.  Is it really better up in JH and GT right now?  This morning I was actually considering heading up to the Tetons for this trip, at least for a couple days out of the 4 we will be skiing. Only 4 guys, it will be an easy thing to pull off from the SLC area….
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I'll let you know if we make it up that way.  I have a few people interested in going up there Thursday night through Saturday.  GT hasn't had snow in about a week but they have close to 150 on the season and are projected to get 2-6 this week.  I think the telling sign is that they are 100% open.  Can't speak to JH tho it seems they are in better shape than UT too.

We are def going to hit park city or alta on Thursday afternoon (flying in thursday morning).  I'll post a quick TR for Thursday and Friday wherever we end up.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Sounds good...I'll be in the Cottonwoods on Sunday(coming ni Sat night/Sun am RedEye). Seriously considering a last minute descision to drive to Jackson Sunday after skiing and do JH/GT Mon-Tues...it would have to be well worth the drive and $95.00 lift ticket
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Ausable, you mentioned Banff..found a hotel deal for there if you were interested..if you dont want the sparkling wine and truffles upon arrival, i'll take them! haha

http://www.livingsocial.com/escapes/217614-banff-national-park-resort
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Talked to a few guys up in JH with the possibility of stealing a car and heading up there this week. General Consensus is that it is super bony up there as well. Not sure if they have anything substantial in the forecast, but it looks like weather is changing for the better out here starting Weds night/Thursday. But that's a long way off.

Wherever you go, bring some rock skis. And/or a ptex candle.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
JH is still bony , GT isn't..
GT is on the snowy side of the Tetons..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Admin from FTO says stay put..Since he's out there and tell the truth about conditions I'd listen to him.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
whats FTO?

i've been researching alternatives and right now it looks like Whistler has tons of snow but their lift tickets are sooo expensive or Banff where the deals are but less snow and you have to drive to each mountain 20 to 40 mins each way a day

Monday I have to make a decision so I'm waiting until then for forecast updates on Vail
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ausable skier wrote
whats FTO?
FTO = First Tracks Online.

Admin is the founder of FTO. He's also the guy featured in today's issue of the NY Ski Magazine:

http://mag.nyskiblog.com/Searching-For-First-Tracks-The-Road-to-Alta-UT-td3610783.html

The FTO Western Forum is probably the best place to get information on Utah, Little Cottonwood Canyon and the Wasatch.

Check out this thread:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9942
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

First Tracks
Since Harv brought me over here I'll offer my $0.02.

Frankly, were it up to me I wouldn't drive from SLC to Wyoming right now to salvage a ski vacation. Targhee has the same base as Alta right now on largely intermediate terrain. My thoughts are explained in more detail here:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9942
Editor, First Tracks!! Online Media
Salt Lake City, Utah
www.FirstTracksOnline.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Sorry Aussie - I think we jacked your thread.  These guys are all talking about SLC.  Fuje is out there now and I am headed out there on Thursday.  I also posted today on FTO asking about conditions in SLC and whether it was worth it to go to Grand Targhee.  Hence there has been some back and forth across the sites.

Call it BLOG cross pollination:)  After lots of back and forth banter with my fellas today we are going to stay the course and stick to SLC.  Park City on Thursday afternoon and BCC/LCC the rest of the time.  Seems like heading west will be good luck for the weather back here.  Hoping that this week will jumpstart winter in the NE.

Thanks to all for the advice.

D
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Just pulled the plug last night. $80 cost to change flights seemed well worth it after unanimous descision by the group. Changed dates to FEB 11-16.  Something didn't seem right about conditions at WF anf GORE this weekend probably being better than UT.  For you guys out there/going out...hopefully all the weatehermen are wrong and some freak dump happens.....
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Danzilla wrote
Sorry Aussie - I think we jacked your thread.  These guys are all talking about SLC.
To jack my thread back my oringinal topic of Colorado - how confident are the weather guys about the pattern changing in CO (probably the same as SLC I'd guess)

according to this its looking more optimistic
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/vail-co/81657/january-weather/2207545

I'll be out there mid Feb so its got some time to accumulate but I need to make a decision next week to avoid steeper change fees