So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cost For 70+ Skiers in NYS

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Mountains are killing those freebies because it's no longer an oddity to see a 70 year old on the hill.

The "retirement age" of skiers is rising. I can't find the data, but I'm fairly sure it's happening. If anyone can find data please post it.

I really think in part it's the gear.  Skiing blue groomers is easier than it used to be.

The article points this out. It was unheard of 20 years ago to move to the mountains in the northeast to retire.

It's my dream for sure.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Harvey44 wrote
Mountains are killing those freebies because it's no longer an oddity to see a 70 year old on the hill.

The "retirement age" of skiers is rising. I can't find the data, but I'm fairly sure it's happening. If anyone can find data please post it.

I really think in part it's the gear.  Skiing blue groomers is easier than it used to be.

The article points this out. It was unheard of 20 years ago to move to the mountains in the northeast to retire.

It's my dream for sure.
I think the mountains also found out that the over 70s do not spend much $ at the ski areas.

As for the Harv dream of retiring in the NE mountains - you must be kidding. There are only a couple of reasons to stay in the NE for retirement. One reason is family and the other is you have money to burn.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Harv, I don't think the new equipment makes skiing easier. I just think people are in better condition later in life. Personally I like the old style straight skis better. I use to ski K2 710 @ 204cm..I wish I still had them, on groomed no body could catch me..

As far as retirement goes, I'm with Harv. You'll find me in the Northeast..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
One of the reasons I like to ski WF is viewing the comrody of the 60+s.     Many a solo lift ride has got me daydreaming about when I am that age and hanging out with my friends.      

Business is business, but I sure would like to see some of the discounts for these folks continue.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
I think the mountains also found out that the over 70s do not spend much $ at the ski areas.
This could be true. And if there were more 70+ days happening, it might make the mountains notice?

x10003q wrote
As for the Harv dream of retiring in the NE mountains - you must be kidding. There are only a couple of reasons to stay in the NE for retirement. One reason is family and the other is you have money to burn.
I'm not kidding. I have no family in the mountains, and certainly don't have money to burn.

One thing I've seen that is more expensive in the Adks is food. I'm assuming that utilities are more, with savings in the summer not quite making up for extra expense in the winter. One thing is for sure, if we build on our property, our new home will be significantly more efficient that our 1930s home in downtown flatland USA.

And Zelda has insisted that some serious dynamite is in order for our driveway, if we are going to be full time in North River.

My buddy Zach mentioned the other day that he figures he's got 1200 more ski days in him. If he's 50 and he skis 60 days a year, that would take him to age 70. My guess is he gets more like 40 days so maybe he's shooting for age 80.

My question... what is your goal or estimate for your own skiing retirement?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
It is funny that you mention this because my husband and I were just discussing this.  Our goal is to keep our Jersey house and our North Creek house.  I want to spend Christmas through early April in North Creek, skiing daily with some cross country and snowshoeing mixed in. We envision mixing in a trip somewhere out west each winter.  Then it is back to the Jersey Shore for the spring/summer.  Those older skiers really motivate me too when I see what a great time they are having.  Mid-week skiing is just so decadent.  What a great topic to dream about!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Wasn't Hawkeye Ed of Gore in his late 70's/80's and still skiing lately? I think he drove up from Schenectady or some place almost everyday. I heared his COPD recently crimped his ski days. Good Luck ED!

There's another famous guy, he designs ski clothes, etc, who I saw on TV the last couple years. At that time he was in his 80's. They showed him at a big ski race and he was beating young men and had advanced to the semifinals. He's a well known designer name, but I can't recall it now.....my "Sometimers" is crimping my recall.

Couple of seasons ago at Gore there was some oldie group skiing and I met several people in their late 80's and one in his 90's who were skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
My take on the $200 pass for over-70 skiers is that's still a significant discount (75%) to a regular adult season pass ($800).  As long as that discount level is maintained for seniors going forward, I consider that fair.  On the other hand, if Belleayre wants to continue to offer free skiing for seniors, more power to 'em!
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
go to Hunter during the week and you will see some crazy good skiers over 70'  the mountains really need to try and keep the young teens and tweens I would give deep discounts to anyone under 18, get them off of the video games and back to skiing and snow boarding , or sponsor group runs with a young guide, many kids don't want to go with their parents if they have no young people to ski with.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
What states do you feel are better for a skier who wants to live within 20 minutes of a ski area? Zero income tax states like Washington or Wyoming? Zero sales tax states like Oregon?

Colorado? Montana? Idaho?

Problem with those places is the high price of real estate. I guess if you're okay taking out a big mortgage in your older years, you're fine, but the barriers to entry seem high.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by JamesP
Ok as  a 75 year old skier here is a perspective .

First the money is not an issue $150-250 for a senir pass with reciprocity is a sweet deal .Attitude  and maintaining physical conditioning is key , BUT given those two conditions , there are simply NO Guarantees !!

Life often throws you curveballs when you least expect them .......notwithstanding All of the above  something interferes, so remain attitudinally flexible !! Make adjustments and continue the journey

I raged as enthusiastic downhiller  until i was 73 . My skiing style was "balls to the wall , take no prisoners " , ski damn near anything ,notwithstanding open heart surgery at 66 and A FIB  incident that required hospitalization in the early 70's . My wife and i have been gym rats all our lives  to this day ,so conditioning was always good .

But Shit wears outs !<smiley image="smiley_wink.gif"/> having the hip replaced twice on the same  side because the Original insert was too damn short was a PIA until i found a great replacement surgery doc who is a skier and made me whole again.  After that miracle  my golf game always strong became the best i have ever played.

My "adjustment " at 74 was to move from DH back to XC where i came from 🤓🤓🤓. So do i miss it ?? yeah !! but not the early  pre dawn patrol road trips in all kinds of weather and the schlepping of shit through icy lots . So XC still feeds the beast and frankly eliminates any troublesome "fall " or biff that might require GLUEING me back together .    

Hey they say after  a  third hip surgery  you effing walk like Gumby

So absolutely people : SET those goals post70 , stay in shape, follow your dreams , but temper it all that with mental flexibility required to continue to enjoy life when it changes the game

Merry Christmas and may your days be filled with hero snow !

Warp  

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Warp, you always shed wisdom in your posts. Must come with age. Hahaha.  :).
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Thank you kind sir ! Marc ur the best hope you slay "the goods " at Platty  this season .
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Wasn't Hawkeye Ed of Gore in his late 70's/80's and still skiing lately? I think he drove up from Schenectady or some place almost everyday. I heared his COPD recently crimped his ski days. Good Luck ED!

There's another famous guy, he designs ski clothes, etc, who I saw on TV the last couple years. At that time he was in his 80's. They showed him at a big ski race and he was beating young men and had advanced to the semifinals. He's a well known designer name, but I can't recall it now.....my "Sometimers" is crimping my recall.

Couple of seasons ago at Gore there was some oldie group skiing and I met several people in their late 80's and one in his 90's who were skiing.
Obemeyer
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
Ok as  a 75 year old skier here is a perspective .

First the money is not an issue $150-250 for a senir pass with reciprocity is a sweet deal .Attitude  and maintaining physical conditioning is key , BUT given those two conditions , there are simply NO Guarantees !!

Life often throws you curveballs when you least expect them .......notwithstanding All of the above  something interferes, so remain attitudinally flexible !! Make adjustments and continue the journey

I raged as enthusiastic downhiller  until i was 73 . My skiing style was "balls to the wall , take no prisoners " , ski damn near anything ,notwithstanding open heart surgery at 66 and A FIB  incident that required hospitalization in the early 70's . My wife and i have been gym rats all our lives  to this day ,so conditioning was always good .

But Shit wears outs !<smiley image="smiley_wink.gif"/> having the hip replaced twice on the same  side because the Original insert was too damn short was a PIA until i found a great replacement surgery doc who is a skier and made me whole again.  After that miracle  my golf game always strong became the best i have ever played.

My "adjustment " at 74 was to move from DH back to XC where i came from 🤓🤓🤓. So do i miss it ?? yeah !! but not the early  pre dawn patrol road trips in all kinds of weather and the schlepping of shit through icy lots . So XC still feeds the beast and frankly eliminates any troublesome "fall " or biff that might require GLUEING me back together .    

Hey they say after  a  third hip surgery  you effing walk like Gumby

So absolutely people : SET those goals post70 , stay in shape, follow your dreams , but temper it all that with mental flexibility required to continue to enjoy life when it changes the game

Merry Christmas and may your days be filled with hero snow !

Warp

I've said it more than once, that, if there is one medical breakthrough that has made and will make life over 65 much more fulfilling and fun, it's artificial joints. That didn't even exist forty years ago, and today I've met many who are still active at a late age with fake parts. I had a hard time keeping up with an elder ski host at Bridger Bowl last year who had a fake knee and hip on one side.
And, Medicare pays for it!
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Btw, Sugarbush has (Well, had, too late now) a pass this year called the Boomer pass. Midweek non holiday for 65 and over for 129. That's free in my book.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by warp daddy
Good to read a post from you Warp!  Hope you’re staying out of trouble and you have a great winter!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Thanks Witchy,always love reading your stuff too. All the Best to you ,young dude!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Posting to say hi to Warp

Miss ya buddy!!

Glad you're back