They are! Do it right the first time --- I like it
I wish. I’m replacing and extending a fence I put in about 14 years ago
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DIY home improvement

Joneski73

This is the current project going on at our house.  It’s going to be an outdoor area for a hot tub.  My wife is laying the brick patio and doing a fine job!  Once she gets a little farther, I can setup my scaffolding and finish the stone on the last two columns.  This weekends project will be to bring in topsoil and plant grass with the hopes of getting a lawn established by winter.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I cut the grass today, somehow I feel inadequate...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Joneski73
Nice all around.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Joneski73
Looks great Joneski. I put that rock inside my house as an accent wall. Stuff is great to work with.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble

Finally able to revisit this bathroom. We are getting close. Pretty tight squeeze.  Slowest reno in the history of time.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Looks good Weed Man

Is that a corner shower? Is it a unit or, just a base and you built the walls and installed the doors.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Thanks. Corner shower, yes.  I installed the pan and the surround. I had a glass company do the glass panels and door.  In these old houses nothing is square, plumb or level. I’ve installed sliding glass tub doors and not loved the way they turned out, so I didn’t feel like messing with a three sided unit.

This bathroom is tiny, so all components had to be tiny. Corner shower, 19”x16” vanity, round bowl toilet.  I’ll need to create some storage shelves or something in the back corner because with the supply, trap and studor vent there is absolutely no room under the sink.  But I won’t be shitting, showering or shaving there.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Nice view of the back yard while sitting on the toilet though.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by witch hobble
Similar situation for me, except I do SSS in there. For now anyway. Planning on new master bath sometime in the near future. Can never have too many projects going on

I know I'll run out of time ---- I need to get my shed buttoned up, one more window to install then finish siding the house. After that it will be get ready for winter then deer season.

Man that went by fast.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Anyone have experience with Mitsubishi Electric Cooling and Heating systems?

https://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/

I'm having a quote done for my house in a couple weeks. A few of the houses we've rented off of VRBO have had these systems and I really was impressed by them. My main heat is wood pellets (that won't change) but my backup is an old oil furnace that was installed in the 70's. To say the least it's not efficient at all.  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
Anyone have experience with Mitsubishi Electric Cooling and Heating systems?

https://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/

I'm having a quote done for my house in a couple weeks. A few of the houses we've rented off of VRBO have had these systems and I really was impressed by them. My main heat is wood pellets (that won't change) but my backup is an old oil furnace that was installed in the 70's. To say the least it's not efficient at all.
You might do better to just replace your oil furnace with a new one with better efficiency, especially since you are already set up for oil. We had oil and switched to natural gas. We already had natural gas in the house. If you plan on using a Mitsubishi unit for cooling and backup heating you are making a good choice.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yeah this would strictly be for backup heating. I'd use it for cooling in the summer and one zone for heating in the winter (basement). My house isn't very big. My thought is I could rip that old furnace out and gain that room for something more useful than just to house a furnace, walk-in closet or something along that line. Pellets would still be my main source of heat, can heat the entire house for 750/year. Pretty happy with that.

It all depends on the cost. I may end up replacing the furnace as you've suggested.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
Yeah this would strictly be for backup heating. I'd use it for cooling in the summer and one zone for heating in the winter (basement). My house isn't very big. My thought is I could rip that old furnace out and gain that room for something more useful than just to house a furnace, walk-in closet or something along that line. Pellets would still be my main source of heat, can heat the entire house for 750/year. Pretty happy with that.

It all depends on the cost. I may end up replacing the furnace as you've suggested.
The new furnace might take up less space. An updated oil pump might use less electricity, too. When we switched to natural gas, our seasonal heat bill went to 1/3-1/2 of the oil bill plus our electric bill went down with the elimination of the oil pump. Our oil furnace was from 1970.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Former coworker of mine now is an electrician who strictly does mini-splits and lighting.  The mini-splits are awesome. Torn on whether to install at my house because we are not there for all that much longer. At our latitude you’re never gonna use it as your main heat source for real winter days, but for cooling in summer and heat for shoulder seasons and days in winter where we’re in a thaw.  I don’t think they would even be close to being able to keep up with sustained single digit temps

I believe, like most systems, it will work best if you are fairly tight insulation wise.

Our electric co-op gives decent rebates on them, but it does involve a full energy audit and using one of their approved contractors. Maybe something similar over there.

Unless new tech emerges, my next home will definitely have them.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I have the AC...
I have central A/C, but it does a crap job downstairs.

It was the best 4k we ever spent

Mitsubishi MY-GL18NA 18,000 BTU 20.5 SEER Ductless Air Conditioner

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
All great info. Thanks for the input
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
campgottagopee wrote

The new furnace might take up less space. An updated oil pump might use less electricity, too. When we switched to natural gas, our seasonal heat bill went to 1/3-1/2 of the oil bill plus our electric bill went down with the elimination of the oil pump. Our oil furnace was from 1970.
I wish NG was available where I live, but that's not an option. I don't know but I'd think just having this system sitting around isn't good for it. I don't think fuel oil is the cleanest system to have sitting around.  I've used one full tank of fuel in 4 years so I  need to either fill it up or do something different.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
With U-tube I believe you can do anything now a days.  I am white collar so doing blue collar things is fun for me.  I installed two irrigation systems over the weekend.  three zones in the front 2 gallon per minute heads and a soaker hose.  4 zones in the back 1.5 gpm heads.   Took 10 hours Saturday and 5 yesterday.  Works like a charm.  It needs some fine tuning but overall a success.   Shark Bite makes life so much easier.  Had to change the plumbing in the basement and install a back flow preventer.  With shark bite it like putting together Legos.   Then I pulled pipe with a rented pipe puller.  Found the wired for the lamp post in my pulling.  The hose got sunk 10 to 15 inches.   The control box, master controller and valves were the only thing we needed to pay attention to as we have never done them before.  Cut in a few electric outlets.   I got a couple quotes for 6k.  We did it all in for 1500 bucks.  I was going to take pictures but got busy and forgot.    Even with the pipe puller there is still a fair amount of digging. Every sprinkler needs to be connected along with burying master controller and zone valves.  Total 21 sprinkler heads.  

Next summery crab grass is going to look awesome!!