DIY home improvement

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
83 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

DIY home improvement

campgottagopee
Looked but didn't find a DIY home improvement thread. If there is one Harv feel free to merge.

Anyway, getting my plan together for a bathroom remodel. I know there are several peeps on here who are quite handy so thought I'd look for advise regarding a new shower. I'm leaning towards building my own out of corrugated metal. I have a rustic/camp theme going on in my house so it will fit right in and the $$$$ is reasonable. To keep it simple I'll be purchasing a pan vs. making my own. Has anyone built one of these? If so what would you do differently. I'm open to any ideas....

I'm thinking of something like this. Again, not over a tub but rather a pan.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: DIY home improvement

PeeTex
You are definately not married
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
now That's funny PTEX
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Check out schluter systems.  They make complete waterproof shower systems including shower bases that you can tile over.  Some are even curbless when used with their linear drains.  http://https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/
That corrugated might look halfway decent with a grouted river rock on the shower base.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Almost done with one bathroom, then on to another. I'm using a Mustee shower base on the next one. ($150 or so) Then cement board for tile on the walls.
   For your corrugated application, don't hesitate to add or move studs where you need them at panel joints. I'd use screws with rubber washers under the head or sealant in the screw hole with sealant over the screw heads. Maybe change the shower control valve while your in there? Can you solder?

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Very metro bro. Surprising.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
You are definately not married
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Joneski73
I flip flop back and forth as to whether or not I want to involve tile. I only have 1 bathroom and tile would add 2 more days that I wouldn't have a shower. That's not a deal breaker tho as my parents only live a couple miles from me. More of a PITA thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Def changing the control valve. The thing will be gutted so why not.

I'm thinking I'll go with the exposed copper look. You know just like they do in camps --- I like that rustic look, thus all the rough cut lumber in my house. LOL
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
This post was updated on .
campgottagopee wrote
Def changing the control valve. The thing will be gutted so why not.

I'm thinking I'll go with the exposed copper look. You know just like they do in camps --- I like that rustic look, thus all the rough cut lumber in my house. LOL
The term steam punk comes to mind. If you google "steam punk bathroom", some nice pics of exposed copper work. The wood barrel sink that comes up is cool too.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yep --- that's the shizzle
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
While the walls are open consider bringing water to both sides to you have a shower head on each side.  My dad and I got rid of his tub and went a base and tile.  When the floor was open we ran pipe around and made it a dually.  

I like the idea of making a spot and putting in a shower steamer system.  Its a self contained kit you buy and shove into the open spot.  Then you have a steam and a shower.   My dad response.  What the fuck am I going to do with that.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I flip flop back and forth as to whether or not I want to involve tile. I only have 1 bathroom and tile would add 2 more days that I wouldn't have a shower. That's not a deal breaker tho as my parents only live a couple miles from me. More of a PITA thing.
I've done stainless steel base and tile before.  It worked out well.  I've never thought of corrugated but, thinking a bit differently now, what would stop you from using metal roofing material, or a big sheet of plexiglass with some cool paint motif behind it?  You can get roofing in all sorts of colors.  The silver corrugated seems awful if you're hung over.

Side note: if your electricity is cheap, radiant floors are the bomb.

Evaluate how long you want to stay there, and if more than a year, suck up the PITA thing.  You may be looking at this thing every day for a long time.  That would drive me nuts.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
I'll look into that ---- good idea
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
LOL --- i like the silver!! I was thinking of looking for some old rusty stuff
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
No leaks. (Well, there was this one nut that needed to be tightened a bit. Hence the rag)
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nice work Johnny!!

I. HATE. PLUMBING.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Two words.   Shark bite
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
tjf1967 wrote
Two words.   Shark bite
I use it often, but actually just had my first corrosion failure of a shark bite fitting over the winter. Installed 6 or 7 years ago.  

Makes me nervous for the few I know I have buried in walls or ceilings.