1 ... 3456
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DIY ski tuning stoke thread

Peter Minde
Z wrote
Is hot boxing still a thing in Nordic?

In alpine race world the current thinking is it does considerable damage to the ski

Even iron waxing can burn the base if you are not careful particularly with cold temp waxes in Lf or HF where you need high iron temps. CH waxes if you are careful are ok

We are using the pro glide system now for my sons race skis

https://skimd.com/pro-glide

Or a roto cork works similarly
Hot boxing is still a thing in nordic.  If you keep the temperatures low, you're fine.  Some national team athletes carry 60 pairs of skis, I don't know how a wax tech would prep them all pre-season without a hot box.  I'm fortunate that the guys I send them to are most diligent.  So far I've been fortunate using the iron.

The days I use fluoro powder, it's one pass with a hot iron and then hand corking.

I'll check out the skied web site.  Meanwhile what's your take on using fluorocarbon / fluorinated waxes.  The EPA is apparently cracking down on these things and how they're manufactured.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
There is some new rules coming banning HF at the u14 and below level
Not sure about LF
Probably will not ever hit FIS level

With ski md pro glide system you don’t iron wax so you use way less wax so using LF for everyday training is not a big deal
My son is using LF mostly except for red and yellow temps
No flouro powders
He does use turbo overlay for SG
Usually  I buy Vola over Swix as it’s much lower cost and I feel it’s easier to work with

We mask up and use a respirator when aerosolizing the wax and ventilate well
You have to wash your hand like 5 times after you even touch HF as it is designed to Shed water

SL skis you can race with CH wax means nothing,  GS is LF, SG is Wax critical and use overlays

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Yeah New England Nordic Ski Association (NENSA) is implementing new rules about fluoro use in junior racing.

90% of the time I'm on hydrocarbon wax; if it's spring conditions and dirty I'll train on LF.  I save the HF and pure fluoro for races.

I reached out to the company regarding the pro glide.  Big question: will this device work when your event lasts 1 - 4 hours.
1 ... 3456