DIY ski tuning stoke thread

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
103 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tuning

MidwestTeleMan
I just waxed 3 pair this past weekend! Jonesing for some snow!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
MidwestTeleMan wrote
Me too. I get Election Day off. was just trying to justify an 8-hour-driving-for-4-hour-skiing daytrip to K tomorrow.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Mine were all sharpened and waxed last spring, I just need to scrape the excess and I’m good to go.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Scrape??   Isn’t that what the first ten turns are for?    Ha after years of brushing race skis,  no scrape for you!  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
a couple of quick passes and thier ready. I have brushed enough race skis as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
MidwestTeleMan wrote
Me too. I get Election Day off. was just trying to justify an 8-hour-driving-for-4-hour-skiing daytrip to K tomorrow.
I use the 1:1 rule.  I'm willing to put in as much driving as the activity allows.  So for 4 hours of skiing, I'm willing to drive 4 hours.

An 8 hour drive would have to be overnight, because I wouldn't get enough sleep to ski a full day and do that drive.

Works for me and keeps me from doing insane drives for very little payout.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Cunningstunts wrote
Brownski wrote
MidwestTeleMan wrote
I use the 1:1 rule.  I'm willing to put in as much driving as the activity allows.  So for 4 hours of skiing, I'm willing to drive 4 hours.

An 8 hour drive would have to be overnight, because I wouldn't get enough sleep to ski a full day and do that drive.

Works for me and keeps me from doing insane drives for very little payout.
Yeah, I mainly agree with you but I have gotten the itch bad enough in the past to do some drives that didn’t really make sense. Anyway, no skiing for me today. Maybe Saturday
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: DIY ski tuning stoke thread

Brownski
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
It’s funny. I have always aspired to be one ski quiver kind of guy but I just finished my pre-season sharpening and waxing and I ended up with six pairs of skis for three skiers.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I have a hard believing you can get a 35 yr olds pair of k2 812s flat by hand tuning especially if you didn’t keep wax on them over the summer
Why are you even considering skiing in them?

The proper time to do a preseason tune is April
Then in November you scrape off the wax and they are flat with bevels are good to go
Leave them un tuned and dry over the summer especially if not temp controlled and no amount of hand tuning will make them skiable

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
You certainly know way more about this stuff then I do but they seemed ok to my eye- actually in better shape then the Xscreams, which I  will only use for rock skis. The K2s skied great last year- put a smile on my face every time.
Edit: If anybody knows a shop in the metro area that is willing to work on 30 year old gear, I’d love to hear about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I still have a pair of those Xscreams. Those were the shizzle when they came out.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
campgottagopee wrote
I still have a pair of those Xscreams. Those were the shizzle when they came out.
I had their predecessor - the X- Mountain
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
You certainly know way more about this stuff then I do but they seemed ok to my eye- actually in better shape then the Xscreams, which I  will only use for rock skis. The K2s skied great last year- put a smile on my face every time.
Edit: If anybody knows a shop in the metro area that is willing to work on 30 year old gear, I’d love to hear about it.
Look at them with your true bar.  8m sure they are not flat.   If you don’t have a true bar don’t bother tuning and just take them to a shop

I know several people that would be willing to make a chair out of those old K2s which is all they are good for at this point

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Screw that
If you like those K2's I say rip em
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I say ski em if you want, but they require a lot more energy to turn than today's skis.

I'll still be out skiing while people on straight skis are sitting in the bar getn drunk pusy mfers.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
One day coach will be old too and some younger smart ass will say “he’s old - make a chair out of him, or maybe a bean bag”.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I say ski em if you want, but they require a lot more energy to turn than today's skis.

I'll still be out skiing while people on straight skis are sitting in the bar getn drunk pusy mfers.
Ha ha! They’re for special days anyway. I’ll try not to slow junior down.

campgottagopee wrote
Screw that
If you like those K2's I say rip em
Plake agrees with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote

LMAO

Well done Sir
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'd like to go on record that I've never tuned a pair of skis in my life

I'll wax em

But ain't nobody got time for tuning when there's a ski shop in town
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
One day coach will be old too and some younger smart ass will say “he’s old - make a chair out of him, or maybe a bean bag”.
BWAHAHAHAHA......word.    But really, Coach can be saved.  He just needs to be hot boxed.....as in the waxing method, and in the other way......
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.