Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Damn Marketing

PowderAssassin
Benny Profane wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Benny Profane wrote
With 100 dollar lift tickets becoming standard, I think the new Killington owners are on a better track and not bothering with that race to the first opening, and last closed. That's a lot of money spent for the PR. There has to be better ways to promote yourself.
A lot of money? They barely even have a single trail open and it's not even top to bottom. It's totally a low cost "opening". They're not attempting to open half their mountain and then have all that snow melt. That would make no sense.

They're not really open, but if you live nearby it's great to get out again early even if it's just a half length of one trail!
 Then, you have to turn a chair (more labor and energy) for a bunch of no good slacker season pass holders who, will, in effect, bring no new stream of revenue to the mountain to pay for all of that capital spent for their pleasure, because I doubt they'll be dropping 20 bucks for lunch.
LOL....This HAS to an industry plant or the most arrogant person alive. "Slacker season pass holders"....Are you kidding me with this nonsense? They pay a fortune for that pass as most mountains. Hard earned cash and are the most die hard versus the people come one weekend a year. I'm glad you're not in marketing for these mountains, because with statements like that you'd kill the season pass sales which make up a big chunk of change for those mountains.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
Oh, I get it. You must think that all of those ski runs are put there by the ski fairy. Just like the money under your pillow for that tooth when you were a little one, and the skis your mommy and daddy bought you when you were a little older. Sorry, i thought I was talking to an adult. Bye. Have a nice season. Say hi to the fairy for me. I have to get back to work to pay for my season.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
wait... what....NO TOOTH FAIRY  WTF!!!!??

first I find out that mountain creek is not in new york, now this.... I'm crushed
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Oh, I get it. You must think that all of those ski runs are put there by the ski fairy. Just like the money under your pillow for that tooth when you were a little one, and the skis your mommy and daddy bought you when you were a little older. Sorry, i thought I was talking to an adult. Bye. Have a nice season. Say hi to the fairy for me. I have to get beck to work to pay for my season.
You can't be working that hard if you're posting here all the time like you do during work hours. You have a cozy office job. Get real. LOL

Decades in business and 18 dollars mid week lift ticket at snow ridge. Have a nice day shitting on die hard skiers with season passes or as you call them "slackers".
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
With 100 dollar lift tickets becoming standard, I think the new Killington owners are on a better track and not bothering with that race to the first opening, and last closed. That's a lot of money spent for the PR. There has to be better ways to promote yourself.
Killington's clientele demand that they push the season.  The industry standard destination resorts in the east is Thanksgiving weekend to mid-April.  For a while, Killington only opened that much and their passholders went crazy.  Anything more than that season length is not to really be expected although some places push the season.  I say that anywhere in the 20's of November to the teens of April is a typical eastern season.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I wasn't aware the industry had standards. Thanks for that.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Most places have that season length.  Sounds like an industry standard to me.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Benny gets spanked by PowderPrancher!   Awesome!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Being a person who enjoys mud bumps at Kmart in May and someone who pays attention to resort costs, I would say that Kmart is making a bit of cash on May weekends or at least breaking even.   Lots of $5 beers getting sold and only real cost is running the lift.   1/2 price tickets and all.     Marketing does not hurt either.   Generally 10% of a business budget is advertising so.....

However early season is a horse of another color.    That snow which is blown in early Nov, can disappear with one rain, then it must all start over.     I agree it would be hard to pay full price for one slope of blown.   I dont do it, but that is because I have kids and a budget now.   10yrs ago.....I'd be making turns and telling all my buddies about it.....free ads.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
PowderAssassin... I'd be pumped to have an "industry plant" here, but I don't think it's worth a ski area's time to invest money trying to influence forum conversations.

Official industry reps that are members of this forum don't post very often...  

Steve Wright, Jay Peak
Laszlo Vajtay, Plattekill
Marc Stemerman, Greek Peak

In the past Jess Pezak was a member before she left Hunter for Alaska, and we have had a few guys from Hickory.

That's pretty much it, outside of a few ORDA employees.  

There is a lot of lurking that goes on.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Benny Profane wrote
A lot of money? They barely even have a single trail open and it's not even top to bottom. It's totally a low cost "opening". They're not attempting to open half their mountain and then have all that snow melt. That would make no sense.

They're not really open, but if you live nearby it's great to get out again early even if it's just a half length of one trail!
Im pretty sure its the same or more vertical than snow ridge.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Benny Profane wrote

Heck - even Goodnow Mountain ski area has the same vertical as Snow Ridge and a free lift ticket.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
PowderAssassin... I'd be pumped to have an "industry plant" here, but I don't think it's worth a ski area's time to invest money trying to influence forum conversations.

Official industry reps that are members of this forum don't post very often...  

Steve Wright, Jay Peak
Laszlo Vajtay, Plattekill
Marc Stemerman, Greek Peak

In the past Jess Pezak was a member before she left Hunter for Alaska, and we have had a few guys from Hickory.

That's pretty much it, outside of a few ORDA employees.  

There is a lot of lurking that goes on.
Then there's a lot of crazy people that seem to want a worse more expensive skiing experience with a shorter season that exists solely to be as profitable as possible and absolutely no powder on any trails. I can never grasp the mentality of some people.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
But without the 2 feet of untracked powder and I think snow ridge has a few more trails than one. I never stated snow ridge was king of vertical. If snow ridge has even jay peaks vertical it would be THE destination resort on ec due to the amount of snow it gets. It's lack of vertical is why it's uncrowded and that's actually part of the charm
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I agree. It's not like people make skiing decisions based on what's said on a forum by a bunch of nuts. ;) lol
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
But without the 2 feet of untracked powder and I think snow ridge has a few more trails than one. I never stated snow ridge was king of vertical. If snow ridge has even jay peaks vertical it would be THE destination resort on ec due to the amount of snow it gets. It's lack of vertical is why it's uncrowded and that's actually part of the charm
Well also Snow Ridge isn't open in October or November.  I like powder just as much as everyone else but, I'll take what I can get this early in the season.  Killington has 3 trails open, not one.  I think it's nice to extend your season a little and get in ski shape early on.  If Snow Ridge had Jay Peaks vertical, it would have about 5 times the vertical.  But, I do agree for once if it did have the same vertical it would be the one one on the east coast with how much snow they get.  I do like uncrowded and I do like powder.  You going to be up for opening day at Snow Ridge?  I'll be there as long as they open on a powder day.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
Well also Snow Ridge isn't open in October or November.  I like powder just as much as everyone else but, I'll take what I can get this early in the season.  Killington has 3 trails open, not one.  I think it's nice to extend your season a little and get in ski shape early on.  
So do I.

Why do you keep asking me if I'll be there opening day? I'm not interested in meeting strange men off the internet.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
Well also Snow Ridge isn't open in October or November.  I like powder just as much as everyone else but, I'll take what I can get this early in the season.  Killington has 3 trails open, not one.  I think it's nice to extend your season a little and get in ski shape early on.  
So do I.

Why do you keep asking me if I'll be there opening day? I'm not interested in meeting strange men off the internet.
LOL I don't want to meet you.  I just want to know if you are really all about powder like you say you are.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Steven Wright lurks here? He's famous. K Billy's Super Sounds of the 70s. Awesome.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Benny gets spanked by PowderPrancher!   Awesome!

You're as boneheaded as this moron. You guys should ski together.
funny like a clown