classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
53 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Damn Marketing

Harvey
Administrator
Sunday River opens for a day or two and then closes...

"That's bullshit! That's just marketing!"

I think this attitude is awesome:

Even if SR did beat them to the punch this year.

So... let's take marketing to passholders, and brand building out of it. Say NONE of that mattered.

Who wants a lift-served season of where EVERY DAY is profitable?

Weekends and holidays from Christmas to Presidents Day.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Damn Marketing

snoloco
Harvey is SPOT ON.  For all the complaining about marketing and commercial stuff, it is what keeps the places open longer.  I would not want to only have lifts spinning on weekends from Christmas to President's Day and I am sure no one else on here would and don't tell me to earn my turns because most skiers ski only lift served like I do.  Stop complaining about marketing and commercial stuff and embrace it because it keeps you skiing longer.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Sno fires back !

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
If I'm not mistaken, Sugar in NC opened this weekend - imagine NC beats Vermont!

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Totally agree Harvey. Why would anyone complain about marketing/salesmanship? And if they only opened weekends then it would really hurt their season pass sales for sure.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
If I'm not mistaken, Sugar in NC opened this weekend - imagine NC beats Vermont!

Crazy weather! They got 2 feet in parts down there. It's the snow ridge of the south down in those nc mountains ;)
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
Wasn't saying it was here.  I have seen it around and about.  Everyone's a capitalist until those damn commercials come on.

I think Killington's current marketing plan is a great thing for eastern skiers.

Who opened first in the northern hemisphere? Abasin?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Killington's business strategy is to open early and close late, living up to the Beast of the East reputation.  They have the lift access for it since there is a lift that is at high elevation that can easily be downloaded from, and trails that are easy to cover with minimal snow.  This means that people have a much longer season to ski during.  The earliest I have skied is October, 27 and the latest is May, 18.  Although Killington is my favorite mountain in the east, Okemo is starting to give them a run for their money.  Okemo is opening November, 15, only 2 weeks later than Killington did.  However, they close early as the mountain has a hard time holding snow at the base.  Also, spring has lots of bumps/moguls, while their clientele want grooming.  They would most likely stop going and move from their ski house to their beach house.  Killington also has a bunch of old outdated lifts still around like the Snowdon lifts, North Ridge Triple, and Snowshed Doubles.  Hopefully these get an upgrade soon.  Their lodges also need investment which will come with The Village project, at least at Ramshead and Snowshed.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
  Although Killington is my favorite mountain in the east, Okemo is starting to give them a run for their money.  Okemo is opening November, 15, only 2 weeks later than Killington did.  However, they close early as the mountain has a hard time holding snow at the base.
Okemo is your favorite hill? lmao....they don't even leave powder on the trails. They groom everything flat even on a powder day.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote
  Although Killington is my favorite mountain in the east, Okemo is starting to give them a run for their money.  Okemo is opening November, 15, only 2 weeks later than Killington did.  However, they close early as the mountain has a hard time holding snow at the base.
Okemo is your favorite hill? lmao....they don't even leave powder on the trails. They groom everything flat even on a powder day.
I've never skied Okemo although I am hoping to change that this year.  They are starting to give Killington a run for their money in the industry, but I still think that Killington will be my favorite overall when I do.  

Did you notice my comment about why they don't stay open late.  I though you would get a kick out of how I said that their customers are moving from their ski house to their beach house at that time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
snoloco wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote
I've never skied Okemo although I am hoping to change that this year.  They are starting to give Killington a run for their money in the industry, but I still think that Killington will be my favorite overall when I do.  

Did you notice my comment about why they don't stay open late.  I though you would get a kick out of how I said that their customers are moving from their ski house to their beach house at that time.
Really, don't waste your time.  Okemo is very, very, very lame and overpriced.  Drive to Killington or drive farther north or west.  Really, don't waste you time.  It is a ridge style mountain with some OK cruzzers... that is about it.  Don't go there.  I don't think I have said that enough.  Last time I skied there was 4 years ago with my brother from Nashville.  We hit Gore the next day.  At the end of it we wished we just did two days at Gore.  Hell, go to Stratton first.  You are not missing anything.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Yes! PowderPrancher is back!!  

KMart sux!  

Mountain Creek!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Footer
Footer wrote
snoloco wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote

Really, don't waste your time.  Okemo is very, very, very lame and overpriced.  Drive to Killington or drive farther north or west.  Really, don't waste you time.  It is a ridge style mountain with some OK cruzzers... that is about it.  Don't go there.  I don't think I have said that enough.  Last time I skied there was 4 years ago with my brother from Nashville.  We hit Gore the next day.  At the end of it we wished we just did two days at Gore.  Hell, go to Stratton first.  You are not missing anything.
I skied Stratton last year.  Okemo was supposed to be done last year, but they charged almost 700 a night for lodging on President's Day.  I could probably go this year in March and not spend that much (meaning my dad won't need to spend that much) on hotels.  The thing is that Okemo looks like a big Windham, so if I want that experience, Windham is closer and cheaper.  However, I really want to try out Okemo's new bubble lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
snoloco wrote
However, I really want to try out Okemo's new bubble lift.
Said no one ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
With 100 dollar lift tickets becoming standard, I think the new Killington owners are on a better track and not bothering with that race to the first opening, and last closed. That's a lot of money spent for the PR. There has to be better ways to promote yourself.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Benny Profane wrote
With 100 dollar lift tickets becoming standard, I think the new Killington owners are on a better track and not bothering with that race to the first opening, and last closed. That's a lot of money spent for the PR. There has to be better ways to promote yourself.
A lot of money? They barely even have a single trail open and it's not even top to bottom. It's totally a low cost "opening". They're not attempting to open half their mountain and then have all that snow melt. That would make no sense.

They're not really open, but if you live nearby it's great to get out again early even if it's just a half length of one trail!
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
PowderAssassin wrote
Benny Profane wrote
A lot of money? They barely even have a single trail open and it's not even top to bottom. It's totally a low cost "opening". They're not attempting to open half their mountain and then have all that snow melt. That would make no sense.

They're not really open, but if you live nearby it's great to get out again early even if it's just a half length of one trail!

Some time ago I walked up to the ticket window at Killington on, I think, about Nov. 8 or whereabouts, and, first, there was a sign announcing the price, which was almost full price for the season, and a second, hand written sign next to it (no doubt a reaction to the whiners) that said, "snowmaking is expensive". Which it is. That cheap little run of yours requires a little team of snowmakers to set up (labor), energy to blow the snow, and at least one groomer to make it into corduroy (again, labor and energy). Just for a few days of skiing, maybe, if the weather turns, which it very well could at this time of year. Then, you have to turn a chair (more labor and energy) for a bunch of no good slacker season pass holders who, will, in effect, bring no new stream of revenue to the mountain to pay for all of that capital spent for their pleasure, because I doubt they'll be dropping 20 bucks for lunch. That's why it's a bad financial decision, besides the advertising potential, so the marketing people better have a pretty good friend in the manager and CEO of the company to convince them to spend that cash. 95% of the market they are catering to could care less. They'll be there, at a minimum, the day after Thanksgiving, but, more likely, Xmas week. If you really want them to get excited by skiing, any hill manager worth his salt will tell you that the best thing to do is put those guns in their backyard down in New Jersey, because there is nothing like a storm or snow event down in the population centers to get people excited about going skiing up north.

Same for the whiners who want mud bumps on Memorial Day. I guess it's nice (not my thing), but they are losing money on those people showing up. Again, the drunken stoned slacker season pass holders who brown bag it. No money in that.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Benny Profane wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Benny Profane wrote

Some time ago I walked up to the ticket window at Killington on, I think, about Nov. 8 or whereabouts, and, first, there was a sign announcing the price, which was almost full price for the season, and a second, hand written sign next to it (no doubt a reaction to the whiners) that said, "snowmaking is expensive". Which it is. That cheap little run of yours requires a little team of snowmakers to set up (labor), energy to blow the snow, and at least one groomer to make it into corduroy (again, labor and energy). Just for a few days of skiing, maybe, if the weather turns, which it very well could at this time of year. Then, you have to turn a chair (more labor and energy) for a bunch of no good slacker season pass holders who, will, in effect, bring no new stream of revenue to the mountain to pay for all of that capital spent for their pleasure, because I doubt they'll be dropping 20 bucks for lunch. That's why it's a bad financial decision, besides the advertising potential, so the marketing people better have a pretty good friend in the manager and CEO of the company to convince them to spend that cash. 95% of the market they are catering to could care less. They'll be there, at a minimum, the day after Thanksgiving, but, more likely, Xmas week. If you really want them to get excited by skiing, any hill manager worth his salt will tell you that the best thing to do is put those guns in their backyard down in New Jersey, because there is nothing like a storm or snow event down in the population centers to get people excited about going skiing up north.

Same for the whiners who want mud bumps on Memorial Day. I guess it's nice (not my thing), but they are losing money on those people showing up. Again, the drunken stoned slacker season pass holders who brown bag it. No money in that.
Ok great let's run with your idea and have only weekend skiing Christmas to presidents day. Have fun with that. And groom all powder flat.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
What powder? What are you talking about?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Benny Profane wrote
What powder?
The powder that falls from the sky. Like the 2 feet that just occurred in NC mountains.

You sound like an industry plant. Wants skiing only when it's profitable for the "industry". I bet you flame the hell out of anyone that complains stowe is too expensive. lol
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)