classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
72 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disappointed With MC

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote

Then write it up, and make it your first post on njskiblog.com.  I bet you could draw an audience.
How much you wanna bet
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
we're seeing a lot of similar issues her in the pa pokey's - if you took advantage of the of the November chill and blew the shit out of everything like blue and cb did, youre golden, if not you missed the boat.
Very interesting the way this early season has played out in PA.  I was in the Scranton area over Thanksgiving.  There was about 15 inches of snow at my in-laws house in Mount Cobb.  A friend of mine in Susquehanna county said that Elk has skied pretty nice over the past week. Unfortunately, at poorly managed Montage, they are still trying to get things off the ground.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
yea it was a big crapshoot and paid off for those who went for it fully knowing the cold temps were an anomaly and the coming thaw was inevitable. I can't say as I blame 'tage for holding off - I would imagine theyre operating on a slim start up budget and don't have the firepower or draw the people that that blue or cb do. probably a losing battle either way...

my take is that blue made some major sno-making improvements over the summer and wanted to flex a little muscle causing cb to react. i'll take it either way, working on week 5 of a peeyay ski season that's already had a little pow, some nice spring bumps and everything in between. All before Christmas - bonus!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
It's like going for a first down when it's 4th and 1. If you make it, you're a genius. If you don't make it ....
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
Hey yeah bro brah. The Cats are only a little ways away! Tough break for more southern mountains. Honestly they probably  would have been throwing money away though with all of the recent rain and high temps. I'm sure they'll start as soon as temps drop.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote
2 hours is NOT a little ways away.  MC is only 15 minutes away so I can go even if my parents don't want to.  My parents cannot drop me off at Hunter or even one of the PA mountains.  I will basically be stuck skiing the mole hills of Mount Peter and Tuxedo Ridge which get boring after a few hours for 2 whole weeks.
How old are you? You probably aren't too far from getting your DL right? It may seem like a ways away but it's just around the corner and then you can break free from skiing in NJ all the time.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
oh and btw - we have webcams out the wazoo!

makes it easy to figure out if thyre blowing to try to glue the sugar piles back together in these marginal temps
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
2 hours is NOT a little ways away.  MC is only 15 minutes away so I can go even if my parents don't want to.  My parents cannot drop me off at Hunter or even one of the PA mountains.  I will basically be stuck skiing the mole hills of Mount Peter and Tuxedo Ridge which get boring after a few hours for 2 whole weeks.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Yeah exactly.The people on here are crazy. 4 hours roundtrip is basically an overnighter.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
snoloco wrote
How old are you? You probably aren't too far from getting your DL right? It may seem like a ways away but it's just around the corner and then you can break free from skiing in NJ all the time.
I have a DL and I ski locally as do many others. Nothing like having a mountain in your backyard no matter how small.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
The people on here are crazy. 4 hours roundtrip is basically an overnighter.
Crazy = True. Overnighter = False.  

I guess I shouldn't speak for all.  But I personally round trip Plattekill often.  3:15 each way for me. X can do it in 2:45, so I like to let him drive.

Sometimes a PowAssassin has to go above and beyond.

Harv at Plattekill: Six Hours Roundtrip
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote
Yeah exactly.The people on here are crazy. 4 hours roundtrip is basically an overnighter.
huh? we have guys in our beer league that do just about that once a week for a few warmups, two runs and and a beer! that's crazy

harv, whachya got hanging off your butt in that pic?

Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
gorgonzola wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote
huh? we have guys in our beer league that do just about that once a week for a few warmups, two runs and and a beer!
Why not just move near the mountain you want to ski on the ec rather than killing yourself with all the driving and then skiing all day long. It's EXAUSTING...takes away from the fun. Sorry, but if skiing was my number one priority in life I'd live out west.  You guys can just get a house near a major ski area. There's plenty of employment in denver or SLC or maybe you could get something in VT or upstate ny. Silliness and horrible to have to do all that driving. People live near major mountain resorts and make it work and their highest priority in life is not skiing.

It's like being a surfer and living in san diego vs being a surfer and living in las vegas. Screw that noise. That sucks ass and costs a load of money and wear and tear on the vehicle for us non pompous ass living on a budget people.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
PowderAssassin wrote
gorgonzola wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote
huh? we have guys in our beer league that do just about that once a week for a few warmups, two runs and and a beer!
Why not just move near the mountain you want to ski on the ec rather than killing yourself with all the driving and then skiing all day long. It's EXAUSTING...takes away from the fun. Sorry, but if skiing was my number one priority in life I'd live out west.  You guys can just get a house near a major ski area. There's plenty of employment in denver or SLC or maybe you could get something in VT or upstate ny. Silliness and horrible to have to do all that driving. People live near major mountain resorts and make it work and their highest priority in life is not skiing.

It's like being a surfer and living in san diego vs being a surfer and living in las vegas. Screw that noise. That sucks ass
Only if life were that simple. It may be in your twenties and having only one goal in mind but things don't just work out like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
raisingarizona wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
gorgonzola wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote

It's like being a surfer and living in san diego vs being a surfer and living in las vegas. Screw that noise. That sucks ass
Only if life were that simple. It may be in your twenties and having only one goal in mind but things don't just work out like that.
Most great skiers moved near a mountain and made it work before they every got middle aged. That's how they became a great skier. Many olympians/back country extreme skiers are not the rich class of people jetsetting around the world. THey're normal people who moved where the big mountains are and practiced like crazy. I guess if you have family commitments/tied down and fell in love with skiing after you hit middle aged then you're stuck doing crazy drives all the time. I'd rather just get a pass at a local hill and ski that as do many people. I find it more enjoyable to ski 1000 vertical feet(mountain creek is a medium sized place) and drive 20 minutes than drive 6 hours round trip for a 1500 vertical. Just my 2 cents
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I lived in NJ and taught skiing first at what is now MC and then in PA.  Then I wanted to get my level 3 cert so I felt I needed to ski at a bigger Mt so I ended up at Killington.  It was 4 hours each way and I did it at least 3 weekends a month.  It was the cost of getting the gold pin at first but soon became my norm.

Eventually I found a way to live in the Mts full time so that my son could be raised here and be a much better skier than I am.  I don't miss all that driving but I wouldn't change a thing.

IMO quality trumps proximity until you can get both.  Once Sno gets his lisc and if dad is paying for the gas we will get less MC posts and more Cats posts from him.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
The people on here are crazy. 4 hours roundtrip is basically an overnighter.

Harv at Plattekill: Six Hours Roundtrip
Looks fantastic.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote
And the others are whiney sissies.  My limit for a day trip is 10 hrs round trip.  Farthest so far in a day is Mad River Glen.  4 hrs round trip to the catskills is an easy day trip for me.  I can still get home and get something done.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote
And the others are whiney sissies.  My limit for a day trip is 10 hrs round trip.  Farthest so far in a day is Mad River Glen.  4 hrs round trip to the catskills is an easy day trip for me.  I can still get home and get something done.
Dude...you're hardcore(NOT sarcasm). No one is questioning YOU. It's only a matter of time before you move to near a big mountain in central vt or out west. You want the goods.

I simply say I don't want to drive that far. It ruins it for me. And many others are the same.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)