Do you love wide open groomers?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
45 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Do you love wide open groomers?

PowderAssassin
Sure I love the pow, but I also love real snow soft groomers. Fresh cord is a blast. My usual pow day is hit up the pow, then when that's tracked out hit up the groomers. I wish mountains would groom intelligently rather than doing a "jiminy peak" and grooming the ENTIRE  mountain A 50/50 split on a pow day would make everyone happy. That means leaving half the mountain ungroomed. Most blacks an d a lot of blues left alone. Contrary to popular opinion by mostly ec skiers, you don't NEED a steep slope to enjoy the powder. I also find you can LEARN to ski powder on less steep slope. you don't make the mistake of getting in the backseat and you can relax and not force the turns and let them happen slowly. Also a regroom at noon after pow is really REALLY tracked out bad would also make sense.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Do you love wide open groomers?

Thehof
No
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Yes, love to let the skis run and make wide carving turns. I especially love then when they are uncrowded.  If crowded, then not as much, but at least there is room to spread out.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
Yes, love to let the skis run and make wide carving turns. I especially love then when they are uncrowded.
+1
Me as well! It's a blast. Too many people on here concerned with being "core" rather than just having fun.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
I like to let em run. I do get bored with groomers pretty quickly tho. It's a fun lazy day thing that goes well with the rum in my flask.

Flat powder? I guess if you are a beginner that wouldn't suck.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
snoloco wrote
Yes, love to let the skis run and make wide carving turns. I especially love then when they are uncrowded.
+1
Me as well! It's a blast. Too many people on here concerned with being "core" rather than just having fun.
I have to say that I'm with pow on this one.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Thehof
Thehof wrote
No
Seriously, screw you, PowAss. You can have one or two runs groomed at most. The rest are ours.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I can't tell if you're like a savant troll or what Pow.

I will rip the cord with a smile like the next guy.  But cord is fleeting.

You're really looking soft untracked or lightly cutup snow all day long. Or I am. If I can't have that I'll take soft bumps or tracked out trees. Groomers are third.

Regroom at noon is insane.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
PAss is trying to turn NYSB into AZ, home of the random ski question/survey. Nobody here seems that interested.

Pray for snow.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Actually im going to support PA here since it's the first non negative thing I've seen him post.  Maybe the kid is starting to get a feel for things and wants to contribute.

We went to Snowmass a few years ago and aspen does a noon groom on selected trails that rotate thru the week.  It was a pretty cool idea.  Even when there is only say 4 to 6 inches by noon the blues are a mess of chowder and harbor chop.  This was great idea when your market is intermediate skiers with not much milaege in their legs.  Hey if you are charging 100 bucks you need to show value. It also made for some really fun gs turns in the afternoons on non powder days.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I can't tell if you're like a savant troll or what Pow.

I will rip the cord with a smile like the next guy.  But cord is fleeting.

You're really looking soft untracked or lightly cutup snow all day long. Or I am. If I can't have that I'll take soft bumps or tracked out trees. Groomers are third.

Regroom at noon is insane.
Actually regrooming a few trails is quite easy. A groomer is just a big ass zamboni! Wachusett in MA does it everyday at 5something. They regroom the entire mountain too, not just one trail for the evening session.  Again it depends how heavily tracked out a ski area is and how much traffic it gets. There's a certain point where powder is no longer powder at SOME ski areas after just a few hours. That's where the "powder hour" got it's nickname from.

What exactly is a troll? Isn't that someone that just wants to start a fight and has no actual interest in the topic at hand? Do you really believe I have no interest in skiing or that I'm not genuine in what I'm posting?
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Z
wide open groomers?

meh
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I always assumed that a midday groom was problematic. I guess if Aspen and Wachusett do it then it's possible.  Do you pick one trail pod to do it on?  How long does it take? How much benefit/draw does it provide? What does it cost?

I'm always coming from the POV that costs are basically fixed.  (Maybe that's because I was brought up at Gore).  So if you groom twice one day maybe you cant make as much snow or whatever.

Re the troll.. if you look I said "I can't tell..."  This seems like the kind of thread that could turn into a shit show.  I can't tell if you are just crazy enthusiastic or a closet anarchist.  Whatever. I gave you my answer. Groomers come in third.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
 I wish mountains would groom intelligently rather than doing a "jiminy peak" and grooming the ENTIRE  mountain .
Another bizarro thread. There are tons of places that don't do this. It's not hard to figure out. Go to another mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I always assumed that a midday groom was problematic. I guess if Aspen and Wachusett do it then it's possible.  Do you pick one trail pod to do it on?  How long does it take? How much benefit/draw does it provide? What does it cost?

I'm always coming from the POV that costs are basically fixed.  (Maybe that's because I was brought up at Gore).  So if you groom twice one day maybe you cant make as much snow or whatever.

Re the troll.. if you look I said "I can't tell..."  This seems like the kind of thread that could turn into a shit show.  I can't tell if you are just crazy enthusiastic or a closet anarchist.  Whatever. I gave you my answer. Groomers come in third.
You do realize that a mountain like wachusett is a gold mine, right?(BOSTON is less than 90 minutes away) People always have this idea that all ski areas are in financial trouble/risk of closing due to so many ski areas closing in the past in new england. I compare ski areas to the restaurant business. It's sink or swim. Wachusett has no issue making snow. One of the most powerful in the country. They're in the worcester, ma area and have a nov-april operating period.

Wachusett closes the mountain for 1/2 hour for regrooming if I remember correctly.  I compare this to a zamboni resurfacing the ice when you go public skating so you have a fresh surface to skate on. Everyone waits for it to be done. They close because they are probably afraid of lawsuits if someone ignores the netting closing the trail for grooming and runs into the groomer. Customers LOVE it. Ski Sundown in CT also does a regroom for the evening session 7 days a week.

One of the biggest complaints from customers is exposed ice/boiler plate during the mid day at big reorts. Ie Being "skied off". A re-groom would be a huge help in this area. It would be a huge selling point to. There's a reason the hermitage club has billboards that say "fresh cordoroy at 2pm".
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
 I wish mountains would groom intelligently rather than doing a "jiminy peak" and grooming the ENTIRE  mountain .
Another bizarro thread. There are tons of places that don't do this. It's not hard to figure out. Go to another mountain.
I know. I do. :) But I'd rather have more choice. I'd like to ski brodie and jiminy with good ownership. That's really all there is. Nothing Bizarro about it.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Groom a trail in the middle of the day - here is why any resort is crazy to allow a groomer anywhere near skier traffic:
http://www.chalatlaw.com/8-3-million-verdict-for-minor-suffering-traumatic-brain-injury/

And I am surprised P-Ass and his constant fear of everything even mentioned it, but we really don't expect he would do any homework, he proved that on his ill farted "Who gets more pow?" thread.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
PeeTex wrote
Groom a trail in the middle of the day - here is why any resort is crazy to allow a groomer anywhere near skier traffic:
http://www.chalatlaw.com/8-3-million-verdict-for-minor-suffering-traumatic-brain-injury/

And I am surprised P-Ass and his constant fear of everything even mentioned it, but we really don't expect he would do any homework, he proved that on his ill farted "Who gets more pow?" thread.
Actually I specifically mentioned wachusett closing down it's mountain during regroom for 1/2 hour to avoid lawsuits. Also, I agree they shouldn't let a groomer near skier traffic. They can also net off a trail or close the whole mountain.

But you're too quick on the trigger and want to attack me to even bother reading everything I wrote. Who's REALLY the troll here?
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I didn't realize Wachusett was a gold mine. I rarely ski at profitable ski areas.

The only thing I know about it is that it is in Massachusetts.  Can they really groom it in half an hour? How many acres is it?

PowderAssassin wrote
Who's REALLY the troll here?
Not sure. Didn't you dis like 8 million people in nyc in another thread?  They are pissed and coming to Wachusett to get you.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
skimore wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
I know. I do. :) But I'd rather have more choice. I'd like to ski brodie and jiminy with good ownership. That's really all there is. Nothing Bizarro about it.
Sorry, I didn't realize it had to be in your backyard with dry pavement for your scooter