Fat Skis in Non-Powder Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fat Skis in Non-Powder Conditions

PeeTex
fat sticks are like fat chicks, both will give you a smooth comfortable ride.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Alright skiless, then what's your definition of "hard snow".
Not this...............This was this morning and I've actually skied about 27 out of the last 30 days all very  similar to this. Keep thinking MC is a good reference point groomer boy

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Cute - and the glade is sweet too.
Love the way you were spooning and farming the pow rather than eighting.
There is still a lot out there, get it before the thaw comes.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Has my interest because I spent a day at Killington last year on my fat skis (don't ask) mostly on groomers and my knee came out the other side real sore. Very sore. For like two months. Pre existing condition, but, still.......
This might have more to do with the fact that you're 172 years old.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by bumps
I've skied 40+ days on 100 under foot for the last 4-5 years and have no problems. Football did a lot worse.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS

snoloco wrote
Glade Runner wrote
Just ski off trail there's powder everywhere.
And get my pass pulled.  MC doesn't allow any tree skiing.  They put up fences and intimidating signs blocking off a the entrances to the summer MTB trails.
You find a SIGN intimidating?
Reply | Threaded
|

DoWork
This post was updated on .
Meh.  I feel like this is obvious.  Honestly though, who cares?  Skiing in general is bad for your knees.  Also, skiing backseat on superfat 140ish waisted RR skis would be far worse for your knees than say, a 109 underfoot ski with camber and sidecut with stacked form.  

Basically this:

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
snoloco wrote
Alright skiless, then what's your definition of "hard snow".
Not this...............This was this morning and I've actually skied about 27 out of the last 30 days all very  similar to this. Keep thinking MC is a good reference point groomer boy

What resort was that at and what lift did you ride to get to it?  Was that a marked glade you were in.  Bottom line is that whenever I ski, I expect it to be groomed in the morning and scraped ice in the afternoon.  Tell me how I can ski better than that each weekend without my dad falling asleep at the wheel, breaking the bank, or hiking miles and miles for one run.  You claim you know so much skiless, but let's see how realistic you are.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Maybe look into buying a sherpa, could shortrope you to the pow
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Again you fail to grasp the concept that your skiing experiences don't apply to everyone
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
skimore wrote
Again you fail to grasp the concept that your skiing experiences don't apply to everyone
That street runs two ways SM.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Correct. I'm only contesting the fact that all someone can get on the EC is hardpack. That's blatantly false
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
skimore wrote
Actually snoloco is correct. On average on the ec it will be icy hardpack the majority of the time at the majority of resorts. That's reality. That's what most people are skiing. It's one of the reasons I said doing a mid day groom on weekends at major resorts is a really good idea.

The east lacks everything. Wide open trails for big radius carving on freshly groomed slopes(narrow trails make this impossible. A good resort has a mixture of both. Some areas are like this, but few. Okemo actually has some good trails for big radius cord slaying), ungroomed powder on trails due to major resorts grooming almost everything that isn't a mogul trail on a powder day, too much wind, thaws, rain, lack of snowfall.

Most resorts are extremely crowded as well, yet everyone craps all over my idea of opening up a new ski area at greylock which would help spread everyone out especially as the population explodes.

Reduced number of ski areas and big increase in population = big time crowds even with skier participation per capita flatlining or going down due to ever rising costs of lift tickets.

Crowds help to cause ice. It's not just scraping off powder. Repeadetly smashing over snow turns it into icy hardpack. You see that on the roads. Same concept.

Does that mean you can't get powder on the east coast ever? Of course not. It's just more rare. And location plays a big role. If you live down the street from snow ridge, then you'll be getting it a lot albeiht with small amount of vertical. Same thing if you live in northern vermont. You'd actually probably get more pow at bolton valley than stowe even though bolton grooms 50% of the terrain that doesn't have moguls. Less people getting at it. Crowds. Even living there though would never compare to what you could get out west.

If snoloco lived in northern vt or lake effect belt he'd be getting a lot more powder. Where you live plays a big role.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sweet digger by K at :34
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
I've skied 40+ days on 100 under foot for the last 4-5 years and have no problems. Football did a lot worse.

Sorry about that compensation issue. I guess size does matter to some. Drive a big old pickup truck, too?

Past few years I have seen a few people skiing on big old rockered platapus skis at Gore on some of the hardest days. I'm talking surfaces that would make a westerner recoil in horror. I guess that's the result of good marketing or something. Yo, dude, I'm core. Take me to the powder.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Benny Profane wrote
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote

Sorry about that compensation issue. I guess size does matter to some. Drive a big old pickup truck, too?

Past few years I have seen a few people skiing on big old rockered platapus skis at Gore on some of the hardest days. I'm talking surfaces that would make a westerner recoil in horror. I guess that's the result of good marketing or something. Yo, dude, I'm core. Take me to the powder.
Were they using poles?
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Benny Profane wrote
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote

Please tell us (a bunch of strangers on the internet) about how much money you make... again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Wait. What?
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If you try to ski a 95mm + width ski like a craving ski you have to creat more angle somehow which either is going to impact your knees or hips

Instead you need to change how you ski to a flatter ski with more of a slarve than a carve
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Benny Profane wrote
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote

Or they only have money for one pair of skis and want a good powder ski because it's what they like to ski the most. Until I'm done with school I can't afford to have a bunch of different skis. I'm sure not going to buy my one pair for skiing shitty hard snow.

Plus, isn't it more "core" to be out skiing in rock hard ice conditions? I don't do it. I can think of a ton of other things I find way more entertaining than skiing on icy groomed ski runs. But those that do it and ski no matter what I would consider core, it's not me but I'm not trying to prove anything either.

For all the hype around powder skiing being "gnar gnar" or whatever the goofy college kids say around here I've always thought powder skiing to be anything but that. It's soft, pleasurable, quiet, peaceful, and soothing.